PDA

View Full Version : Opera browser

gasman
04-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Does anybody have experience , good or bad with the Opera browser. They seem to have a clean look and a VPN included without extra cost.
I've been using Safari and Firefox they are fine but was wondering if the extra security was worth it.

cdn_bacon
04-14-2017, 06:57 PM
only browser I use except chrome to stream to my TV

biker72
04-14-2017, 07:05 PM
You can get a free VPN extension with Chrome.

martl
04-15-2017, 02:26 AM
Does anybody have experience , good or bad with the Opera browser. They seem to have a clean look and a VPN included without extra cost.
I've been using Safari and Firefox they are fine but was wondering if the extra security was worth it.

I use Opera as my main browser these days, very satisfied. Firefox in my experience does have inferior Flash performance, among other issues.

Johnny Alien
04-15-2017, 09:44 AM
There will be lots of sites that don't look or operate correctly in Opera. It is hardcore as far in regards to code compliancy and because it's market share is so small most companies will not bother testing their code against it. Being in code development I spend a ton of my day testing against tons of browsers and IMO there just is no browser that competes with Chrome. It's light years ahead of almost every other browser in pretty much every way (plug ins, usability, site rendering, speed, etc.) and like someone said you can get a VPN for it.

rnhood
04-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Another vote for Chrome. It's the best thing out there.

gasman
04-15-2017, 10:34 AM
There will be lots of sites that don't look or operate correctly in Opera. It is hardcore as far in regards to code compliancy and because it's market share is so small most companies will not bother testing their code against it. Being in code development I spend a ton of my day testing against tons of browsers and IMO there just is no browser that competes with Chrome. It's light years ahead of almost every other browser in pretty much every way (plug ins, usability, site rendering, speed, etc.) and like someone said you can get a VPN for it.

Thanks for your expert opinion. I tried Chrome several years ago and it seemed to have trouble running smoothly on my Mac. Of course, it could have been operator error-I do live in the Mac ecosystem.:rolleyes:

oldpotatoe
04-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Thanks for your expert opinion. I tried Chrome several years ago and it seemed to have trouble running smoothly on my Mac. Of course, it could have been operator error-I do live in the Mac ecosystem.:rolleyes:

Use Chrome exclusively on my Mac Mini..far 'better' than Safari and FireFox.

Johnny Alien
04-15-2017, 11:00 AM
The only issue with Chrome on Mac that I have noticed is that it definitely kills the battery on their laptops much more than Safari. By a lot.

wpod
04-15-2017, 11:50 AM
Have been a happy user of Opera on XP, Fedora, Ubuntu 14/16 LTS and Mint 18. Very clean and quite fast. Includes a VPN extension that works pretty well and is free. Does not import bookmarks/pwds very easily from other browsers- which makes migrating a bit of a hassle.

Current line up in order of useage is Chromium, Mozilla and Opera.

One caveat, I saw somewhere Opera recently was been purchased/funded by a Chinese group if that matters to anyone.

Standard YMMV disclaimer, of course.

Rada
04-15-2017, 01:22 PM
Make sure to do some research on whatever VPN you are thinking of using. Some work better than others and some are really shady. Also of course there are pricing differences. Not sure what OS you are using. I run a couple of different Linux OS's and have set up my own VPN in the cloud. There are some good directions on how to do this on the Internet. Not sure if this is doable with MS OS or OSX. TOR Browser is also an option.

Also if you are using Chrome, Firefox, or Opera you will need to disable WebRTC or you will be leaking your IP.

gasman
04-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Make sure to do some research on whatever VPN you are thinking of using. Some work better than others and some are really shady. Also of course there are pricing differences. Not sure what OS you are using. I run a couple of different Linux OS's and have set up my own VPN in the cloud. There are some good directions on how to do this on the Internet. Not sure if this is doable with MS OS or OSX. TOR Browser is also an option.

Also if you are using Chrome, Firefox, or Opera you will need to disable WebRTC or you will be leaking your IP.

I just started running Sierra OS last week. It's clear I need to do more research.
It's difficult to know how much one can trust the various VPNs since they can sell your into also. I would have no idea how to set up my own VPN.
You are all such a smart bunch.

choke
04-15-2017, 05:20 PM
I've been using Opera since the late 90s....I'm definitely a fan.

I always find the praise for Chrome to be puzzling. I've tried it over the years on a number of different computers and on every single one of those it was noticeably slower than Opera or Firefox.

jlwdm
04-15-2017, 07:32 PM
I've been using Opera since the late 90s....I'm definitely a fan.

I always find the praise for Chrome to be puzzling. I've tried it over the years on a number of different computers and on every single one of those it was noticeably slower than Opera or Firefox.

I used Firefox for a long time, but eventually it became too big and bloated. I switched to Chrome a couple of years ago and it has been much better.

Jeff