PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for women's endurance/comfort road bike

malbecman
04-14-2017, 05:23 PM
So the missus wants to start joining me on some of the shorter rides. :)
I'm all for it and we will be mostly riding & exploring the flat farmlands around Davis, CA (some minor hills) doing general fitness for her. I"m guessing 15-16mph'ish and at least, initially 15-20 miles with a goal of doing a 50 miler or metric century this fall. She currently rides ~8 miles RT to work 2-3 times/week when the weather is nice.

She's had some minor back issues/sciatica in the past which are resolved but we don't want any flare-ups so I'm leaning towards something with a more upright position, tall HT, relaxed geo., 28mm tires, etc. Endurance category, I guess. Does not want a trike/recumbent.

Any suggestions or things that did/didnt work?

Many thanks in advance.....

bjf
04-14-2017, 05:35 PM
So the missus wants to start joining me on some of the shorter rides. :)
I'm all for it and we will be mostly riding & exploring the flat farmlands around Davis, CA (some minor hills) doing general fitness for her. I"m guessing 15-16mph'ish and at least, initially 15-20 miles with a goal of doing a 50 miler or metric century this fall. She currently rides ~8 miles RT to work 2-3 times/week when the weather is nice.

She's had some minor back issues/sciatica in the past which are resolved but we don't want any flare-ups so I'm leaning towards something with a more upright position, tall HT, relaxed geo., 28mm tires, etc. Endurance category, I guess. Does not want a trike/recumbent.

Any suggestions or things that did/didnt work?

Many thanks in advance.....

I need bars level with the the saddle for back reasons, and the only things I have found that work for me are Serotta Legends with tall head tubes. However, I'm not sure they will take 28s -- I haven't tried.

dustyrider
04-14-2017, 05:36 PM
In my single male experience I say take her to the bike shops, have her pick out her favorite color and fit in the appropriate price range and see if you can demo the bike for a day of riding. In short have her pick the bike! :)

ultraman6970
04-14-2017, 05:43 PM
Since i do not like large stupidly big front tubes in production bikes due to the handling and because the fit is never right eventhought they were made with the objective of putting the rider as actually they want, looking like a bear riding a tricycle with the handling of a person having an epilepsy lap, never had a such a hard time to fit one of my friends in one of those bikes, he was so happy when he got his steel EM, 20 years older and was just a breeze to fit. (my personal take to the thing ok?)

That being said, I got my kids a ridley fenix AL, not expensive... and if your wife doesnt need carbon I would advice you to get the fenix AL. The bike handles as it should, and after testing it around the block looking like a bear over a tricycle, the bike is pretty nice. Even the weldings are smooth so unless you look at it really close probably nobody will notice is made of aluminum ever. And fits maybe 32c tires, my kids came with 28s and still room to spare.

As for other brands I would go used colnago maybe, c50 or something in that style that is not that super expensive if you are lucky to find one for the right price.

Im not into treks or spechs, neither cannondales but if i had to pick one I would pick a Caad. Well balanced machines that look like a bike should look, besides are super light.

owly
04-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Eddy Merckx Milano 72 (endurance carbon frame; rim or disk brake options), or the Blue Prosecco range (endurance/gravel disk carbon models, one alu model).

Both at the top of the list for short reach/tall stack carbon endurance. The Prosecco at No.#1 (You won't find a factory carbon bike with those geo figures anywhere else). Comes with wide tyres, but you can fit narrow for the road.

Check the geo charts

Ralph
04-14-2017, 06:01 PM
May not be exotic enough for you....fancy name, etc. But I would check out a Cannondale Women's specific Synapse. Made for the kind of riding you described. Go high enough up the line for the parts you want. Or get a fame...and use your parts and wheels.

Road test of a Di2 model. Says best all around women's bike. BTW....Tester was a woman who rode TDF. http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cannondale-synapse-carbon-womens-di2-49501//

false_Aest
04-14-2017, 06:22 PM
Liv (Giant) Avail.

If you're choosing between the XS and S (and there's no concern for standover) get the Small. It's 20mm more stack and a HTA that makes sense (72* IIRC).

Hilltopperny
04-14-2017, 06:47 PM
My wife and daughter have both used wsd Cannondale synapses. My daughter is still on hers. My wife preferred the Serotta rapid tour with a stem extension that I bought her to the Cannondale. We rented trek domane bicycles on our honeymoon and both liked the way they road.

The Domane and Synapse both have room for 28c or larger tires and have more forgiving geometry. Have her test ride them and you may have a winner in either.

malbecman
04-15-2017, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We'll need to go check some of these out (and I agree, letting her chose is important). I just wanted to get a sense of what is out there and limit the universe of choices a little.

Cicli
04-15-2017, 10:28 AM
My wife rides a Silque SL and loves it. Very relaxed geometry.