PDA

View Full Version : Stinner article

rinconryder
04-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Cool write up in the local newspaper here in SB on Stinner. Either an Open U.P. or Stinner Refugio is going to be my next bike. Leaning Stinner but the Open looks like a really great bike too.

http://www.independent.com/news/2017/apr/13/stinner-frameworks-builds-great-american-bikes-aga/

Mzilliox
04-14-2017, 12:54 PM
I love these bikes, some of my favorites around. Ive almost pulled the trigger on a couple, not sure how they didn't end up with me...

andeww
04-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Nice. I went to UCSB a bit before Stinner was around. I will be heading back out there tomorrow and bringing a bike, SB is a great getaway town.

dbnm
04-14-2017, 01:21 PM
I saw their bikes at this years NAHBS and they were amazing.

velotrack
04-14-2017, 01:49 PM
I've always been hesitant about Stinner... I'm not worried about whether or not they make good riding bikes, but I do feel like a lot of the money you pay goes into paying for the "cool" factor and their online/social media presence. It's $2500 for a stock sized frame with a generic, non-branded fork. Single color paint job. Just seems like you can do a whole lot better.

I can only complain so much, however. They're making frames in the US and making it work out financially. So not all negatives here...

eBAUMANN
04-14-2017, 01:52 PM
I've always been hesitant about Stinner... I'm not worried about whether or not they make good riding bikes, but I do feel like a lot of the money you pay goes into paying for the "cool" factor and their online/social media presence. It's $2500 for a stock sized frame with a generic, non-branded fork. Single color paint job. Just seems like you can do a whole lot better.

I can only complain so much, however. They're making frames in the US and making it work out financially. So not all negatives here...

yup.

"When he decided to go all in on bicycle fabrication and needed space for a shop, for instance, Stinner convinced his parents to help him with the down payment on a house. Then, to pay the mortgage, he rented out every room and lived in the garage with his machine tools."

So...your parents bought you a house so you could pursue your dreams rent-free in the garage...damn, that must be nice.

I think its just to whole instagram marketing machine hype based blogosphere brand thing that bugs me the most.
That said, its nice to see a mid-scale US-based operation doing well...

THAT said, your money is far better spent elsewhere, on something custom, IMO.