PDA

View Full Version : 'insights of a gravel racer'

thwart
04-14-2017, 09:24 AM
Good article for me to read, as I consider doing one of these events.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/04/13/insights-of-a-gravel-racer/

Notable for Wilson's bike being rim brake (yes, you read that right), and for the popularity of Compass tires... see the other thread...

kingpin75s
04-14-2017, 09:38 AM
They are fun events.

I have ridden the Almanzo 100 every year starting in 2012 and generally use it to introduce new people to the sport.

Rim brakes and Compass tires for me as well.

benb
04-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Great article, his equipment selection is pretty eclectic so I wouldn't read much into brake setup. Kind of surprising with the fork selection but then his frame doesn't sound like it was originally built for this so the longer fork might make it work better for gravel.

I didn't even realize Aerobars were allowed in gravel races, does that vary?

I was debating trying Compass tires but every time I look at them they seem to fragile and likely to not last that I don't. Maybe not a factor for racing but I'm not racing.

The picture was interesting, that isn't what I think of as a gravel road, it's more like very hard packed dirt, it makes more sense that you'd be good on a smooth tire on that.

He does a good job of describing the appeal and adventure of these races.

jruhlen1980
04-14-2017, 10:04 AM
Great article, his equipment selection is pretty eclectic so I wouldn't read much into brake setup. Kind of surprising with the fork selection but then his frame doesn't sound like it was originally built for this so the longer fork might make it work better for gravel.

Lots of folks still on rim brakes. Braking isn't that much of an issue like it is in cross or MTB so you can get away with it. If you're like me and can't afford a new frame right now it makes sense.

I didn't even realize Aerobars were allowed in gravel races, does that vary?

Despite Jan's statement, there are many, many riders on aerobars in gravel, including big names like Rebecca Rusch and Jay Petervary.

I put on some clip-ons earlier this year and I'm a fan. It's nice to have another position, and if you're battling a 20-25 mph headwind for 75+ miles (like during last year's Dirty Kanza) every little bit helps.

Most gravel events have minimal rules. I've seen one or two that say "no aerobars" but those seem to be the exception. They also, in my opinion, miss the point of the unsanctioned, grass roots "anything goes" nature of these things. But no one asked me.

I was debating trying Compass tires but every time I look at them they seem to fragile and likely to not last that I don't. Maybe not a factor for racing but I'm not racing.

I don't know what the conditions are like in Minnesota where this race was, but in Kansas Compass tires don't have the puncture protection necessary for goat heads and things of that nature. Everyone I know who has tried them likes them, but gets lots of flats. Even with tubeless. Most people around here are on Clements or WTB or Maxxis or Specialized.

benb
04-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Yah I still have rim brakes too with no plans to change. I only have Discs on my MTB and have had them 11 years there.

I've never rode aerobars, just thought it was interesting. They seem very common on riders doing stuff like the Great Divide and other long distance MTB rides too so it makes sense they would be nice in gravel racing.

Your tire observations are more inline with what I see here, we've got a local place that sells Compass but I see more of the burlier tires in use. My fear of Compass mostly has to do with a ride at the end of 2015 where I saw someone flat like 4X in 60 miles on Compass tires and it was like 25F so we kept having to stop and it was kind of miserable, it took the whole group looking at those tires to eventually get them to stop flatting. I just hear a lot of good about them too.

Andy sti
04-14-2017, 01:22 PM
The only "real" gravel race I've done is Crusher in the Tushar and Compass Tires would not survive. It really is a regional thing as far as gravel road conditions go. For that event I've had great luck with Challenge Gravel Grinder Race tires and latex tubes.

MattTuck
04-14-2017, 01:36 PM
My one issue with gravel races is the danger of the descents. I have seen some people bombing hairy dirt descents at speeds that I'd consider unsafe, if I were in a car. A lot can happen with that much potential/kinetic energy if something doesn't go quite right. I have heard a handful of stories where someone "over baked a turn and went into the woods, lugged my bike back, and kept going." It seems some think of this as part of gravel racing, when in reality it is much closer to death/serious injury than some might realize.

David Tollefson
04-14-2017, 02:25 PM
A lot can happen with that much potential/kinetic energy if something doesn't go quite right.

Ask Rob English about what can go wrong...

weisan
04-14-2017, 06:53 PM
I emailed Compass....

>>Hello there,

I am sick and tired of hearing folks complaining about how easy for them to get flats from their Compass tires, some from anecdotal accounts, others acting purely on hearsay. And then I read on your website about your product philosophy, that you are imposed a higher standard on yourself than your customer, in other words, you are your harshest critic. So what is it? Are Compass tires more prone to flats than comparable tires? What does your own product testing inform you?

For the record, I am riding Stampede Pass and Switchback Hills. So far, no puncture and enjoying them a lot!

Wei San

Reply from Compass:
Hello Wei,

We have not found our tires to be more flat prone than comparable tires. I think what happens is that people change to our tires directly from very different tires. If one is used to a tire with multiple layers of puncture protection and rarely looks at the road to watch for debris, then switches to any performance tire (including Compass), they will likely see their rate of flatting go up. However, simply moving a bit to the left and out of the majority of road debris makes a big difference in getting fewer flats.

I myself get very few flats each year, maybe three in 2016 with more than 5,400 km of "events" and plenty of other, untracked riding, including commutes. I've been using Compass Loup Loup Pass 650B x 38 mm extralight tires and think the additional width is a factor, too, as the tire can better deflect around an object, rather than forcing it through the tread.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Stampede Pass and Switchback Hill tires! And hope you get many more miles of enjoyment from them.

Best regards,
Theo Roffe

--
Compass Cycles
customerservice@compasscycle.com