PDA

View Full Version : Hincapie 2.0

MattTuck
04-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Not sure how I missed this, but apparently Terpstra's steering tube, after requesting a special one off non-suspension version, snapped during Paris-Roubaix.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/04/communication-breakdown-full-story-behind-niki-terpstras-mystery-crash-paris-roubaix/

Niki Terpstra (Quick-Step Floors) suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure last weekend at Paris-Roubaix while riding in support of team leader Tom Boonen. In an episode that recalled George Hincapie’s broken steerer tube on the Mons-en-Pévèle secteur in 2006, Terpstra’s steerer tube broke unexpectedly on the Maing à Monchaux-sur-Écaillon sector, sending the 2014 Roubaix champion tumbling to the ground, ending his hopes for the day. Team sponsor Specialized has assumed full responsibility for the mechanical failure — but what exactly went wrong?

Specialized fielded sixteen riders on its new Roubaix frameset in this year’s Paris-Roubaix, and according to Specialized head of global marketing Mark Cote, fifteen of those riders opted for the stock Future Shock suspended front end (albeit with a team-only progressive spring rate that got stiffer as the fork moved through its travel).

Terpstra, however, wanted to go with a more traditional front end, with no suspension, that let him feel more of the road surface beneath him.

To accommodate that request, Specialized provided the team with a special aluminum plug to take the place of the standard Future Shock cartridge. According to Cote, that initial part was only intended to generate initial feedback for the concept.

Clean39T
04-13-2017, 09:35 PM
#unsafeatanyspeed #gotsteel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marciero
04-13-2017, 10:18 PM
"Terpstra, however, wanted to go with a more traditional front end, with no suspension, that let him feel more of the road surface beneath him." Indeed. Nice going specialized.
Special aluminum plug?? Sounds like a hack to defeat that pogo stick arrangement. They couldnt just give him a standard fork..

wasfast
04-14-2017, 06:05 AM
I noted the same part of the quote about "road feel". I thought that was the whole idea to NOT feel all the cobbles.

MattTuck
04-14-2017, 08:38 AM
I noted the same part of the quote about "road feel". I thought that was the whole idea to NOT feel all the cobbles.

To be a champion, you must become one with the cobbles. Would a piano player put dampening foam on the keys? Would a sculptor wear special gloves to dull the sensations in his finger tips? :banana::banana:

You put a cobble into Arenberg, it becomes Arenberg. You put a cobble into Carrefour de l'Arbre, it becomes Carrefour de l'Arbre. Cobbles can flow or they can crash. Be the cobbles.