PDA

View Full Version : Toe overlap more common these days?

Mikej
04-13-2017, 07:39 PM
So I'm 6 foot and in my size range I've never experienced toe overlap. Do the newer strep hta's cause this on larger bikes?

apeescape
04-13-2017, 07:55 PM
It is usually the case of a shorter wheelbase for quicker handling reducing the front end of your bike. Toe overlap in itself is somewhat of a non issue as you only turn your wheel that far in a complete u-turn at slow speeds. I ride a fairly agressive position and was riding a bike on the small side for a bit (56cm Cervelo S5, im 6'3 with size 47 shoes ) and needed a 130 stem and had serious toe overlap. It was never an issue except maybe a wild trackstand here or there. The s5 on the otherhand was a big issue, but thats for another post. (worst riding bike ever)

MattTuck
04-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Also, people are mounting cleats further back these days.

cmg
04-13-2017, 10:18 PM
toe overlap is pretty common on small frames.

Peter P.
04-14-2017, 12:35 AM
I've never heard of it being a problem with frames 56cm and up, which would be the size you ride.

Geometries have not changed so significantly to cause a problem.

And as has been said, it's a non-issue at anything faster than walking speed turns.

Fivethumbs
04-14-2017, 01:59 AM
My five bikes are 62 to 63 cm and all but one have overlap because of the steep head tube angle. The one that doesn't have overlap has a slacker head tube angle and is my least favorite handling bike. I'll take the overlap and better handling.

Bob Ross
04-14-2017, 05:55 AM
I've never heard of it being a problem with frames 56cm and up

All four of my bikes are >56cm, and three of them have toe overlap. One of them has full fenders, so that's understandable...but the other two are custom frames built for me. One of those builders asked me whether I had an opinion about toe overlap; my response was "I don't care if it has it, and I wouldn't want you to avoid it if that meant compromising any of the other goals of this frame design" and he wound up delivering a frame that had it. So...uh, there ya go.

bitpuddle
04-14-2017, 06:16 AM
All three of my 54-ish frames have toe overlap.

paredown
04-14-2017, 07:10 AM
Also, people are mounting cleats further back these days.
I'm curious about this--so no longer roughly lined up with the ball of the foot?

benb
04-14-2017, 09:22 AM
Heh.. I doubt bike geometry has changed enough to make any difference, this is based on your personal geometry.

I've got size 13 feet, and a shorter torso relative to my leg length, which means a slightly shorter front center works better for me.

When your feet are bigger, fitters/fit schools actually recommend moving your cleats back further relative to the ball of your foot than they do for folks with shorter feet, which exacerbates the "problem".

Anyway, I've had bikes in the 56-59cm range (the bigger ones mostly having been mistakes), all my road bikes have had plenty of toe overlap. My MTB doesn't IIRC, but that's a 26" wheel, with a 60cm ETT, and a much more slack HTA than a road bike. I've only been riding since 2000 but as far as I can tell very little has changed in the geometry of the road bikes I've had.

Doesn't bother me in the least. The place it would be most likely to matter would be going uphill at 2mph on a MTB on super technical terrain, and it's never been a problem there. You have to be aware of where your pedals are and backpedal in those situations anyway, avoiding hitting your toe on the front wheel in those situations is exactly the same as having to backpedal/stop in certain situations to avoid smashing the pedal into rocks.

Dead Man
04-14-2017, 09:33 AM
I have no idea if it's more common, but all my bikes have had some- usually a lot, since I've been sizing down on my frame sizing till this season. I had TCO on my first cross bike last season, which was absolutely ruining me in the corners, so I changed to a bike that didn't have any (still rubbed a bit, but cleared) and that was a big improvement, and then also this season I went a couple sizes UP on my road frame and no longer have TCO on my road bike - 55cm, ETT.. it's very close, but no rub.

As mentioned, it doesn't really matter on the road bike. After your first couple incidents you just learn to time your pedal strokes and you don't get your toe caught anymore. But on the CX bike, with so many hairpin turns that need to be executed at absolute maximum speed - hell no. I'd never ride a CX race bike with TCO again.

eddief
04-14-2017, 09:48 AM
I am 5, 11 and wear 9.5 shoes. Owned 40 bikes over the last 15 years and have never hit my toe on a front wheel.

Onno
04-14-2017, 10:51 AM
I always put my cleats as far back as they can go, and with new Shimano shoes, and speedplay pedals with the extender plate, I now experience toe overlap on my XL Parlee for the first time in my life. A little surprising when the toe hits the wheel, but it doesn't really seem like a serious issue unless you are trying to do really tight turns in a parking lot.

David Tollefson
04-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Only bike I've had with toe overlap was my first, a Trek 520 from 1983. And even then it was only with toe clips (or fenders).

I tend toward more front center on my own designs, so toe overlap is not an issue.

ojingoh
04-14-2017, 12:39 PM
I have big feet, but my bike's a pretty normal geometry. The guy who made my bike by all accounts knows what he's doing.

Ride a 57 TT/57 ST, 73/73 angles, 44mm rake, 46 shoe.

I get 1-ish cm of toe-verlap. I set my cleats back a lot however, the -5 back point on my Sidis.

ACTUALLY I just measured it, it's closer to 3cm.