PDA

View Full Version : New - REI Co-op Cycles (full-build) carbon & steel models

Erik_A
04-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Decent (full-build) carbon all-road for $1800; and steel monster-cross for just over $1000

https://www.rei.com/h/co-op-cycles-ard

New - REI Co-op Cycles (full-build) carbon & steel models

AlanKHG
04-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Unfortunately the 20% off any item member coupon just expired on Monday.

pncguy
04-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Don't worry. It didn't apply to bikes. (Or to Lezyne or Wahoo GPS computers, either! :mad:)

Pelican
04-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Wow, those are some ugly bikes. And the rebrand isn't working for me but we'll see what customers think.

gpendergast
04-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Holy lever position, Batman! Yikes

makoti
04-13-2017, 02:58 PM
I understand the name, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. :no:

notsew
04-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Gross.

They'll probably sell a bazillion of them. You can't throw a rock around here without hitting a Novara bike.

choke
04-13-2017, 04:04 PM
I don't get the disdain for the looks from some. The carbon one isn't any uglier than 99% of the other carbon bikes out there and the steel one looks bad due to the tall stack of spacers but otherwise it looks fine to me.

If anything I applaud the lack of 700 different logos on them.

JimmyTango
04-13-2017, 04:19 PM
The carbon one isn't any uglier than 99% of the other carbon bikes out there and the steel one looks bad due to the tall stack of spacers but otherwise it looks fine to me.

I think your eyes work differently than mine :eek:

Mzilliox
04-13-2017, 04:39 PM
I think your eyes work differently than mine :eek:

Seriously, these are damn ugly. the setup on them is awful for one thing.

AngryScientist
04-13-2017, 04:41 PM
i think they are great, practical bikes.

they get a lot of people out riding and adventuring who are not necessarily equipment geeks. add the REI repair facility and warranty and these are great bikes for a lot of people.

i suspect a ton of commuting, touring and fun miles have been logged on Novara bikes. gotta love that eh?

Clancy
04-13-2017, 04:44 PM
In person both bikes look far better. The carbon ARD got a very positive review in Outside magazine naming it one of the best bikes for 2017. The gravel bike pictured uses woodchipper bars with bar end shifters - hence the odd look with the levers. Plus it's an xxl by the looks of it and any frame that size looks out of proportion.

R3awak3n
04-13-2017, 04:51 PM
yall funny.

you think this is awesome

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NFgxNjAw/z/LDEAAOSwPc9W0ypx/$_3.JPG

but these bikes are ugly?

the bikes look fine. I agree with Angry, these are great. People really like REI and will get them to get a new bike and ride a bunch.

They are not even that ugly, I have seen much much worst. Either frame with the right setup could be nice looking. I had a rawland that kind of looked like the second bike. Get rid of the spacers, put a rack on it, some bags, tan fat compass tires and it can be killer.

brockd15
04-13-2017, 04:55 PM
Definitely ugly as pictured, but it's all the setup. Get one of those in the hands of a Paceliner and it would look proper in no time!

And that carbon one looks like what I'd imagine a carbon All City to look like, what with those painted "socks."

Mzilliox
04-13-2017, 04:57 PM
yeah, im sure it is mainly the washed out background and the bad setups. im sure in person they look better. and yes, i agree any bike that gets folks out riding is a good one, but that doesn;t mean its not ugly.

but that flamed serotta is worse to my eye. :help:

zetroc
04-13-2017, 05:09 PM
My first real bike was a Novara and I still had it up until last year, when I donated it to a local bike co-op. It was great.

Why be mad about bikes on the internet?

Hilltopperny
04-13-2017, 05:56 PM
The all road looks almost identical to my guru photon v.4 except it has disc brakes.

vqdriver
04-13-2017, 06:31 PM
the ugliest thing going on in those pics is the hideous shimano levers. the bikes could have been staged better, but they're fine.

Bostic
04-13-2017, 06:44 PM
the ugliest thing going on in those pics is the hideous shimano levers. the bikes could have been staged better, but they're fine.

And they look even worse in person. What do they weigh, 900 grams each? I used to think the Microshift levers were bad.

R3awak3n
04-13-2017, 11:03 PM
I will give you that one, shimano really messaged up with those shifters. I mean most shimano shifters are ugly but the 105 hydros are just the worst.

They look like megan foxes thumbs. I think they did it on purpose so people spend more money getting the ultegra version (whatever name they are)