PDA

View Full Version : Swoopiest saddle?

ANAO
04-13-2017, 09:27 AM
I've grown pretty fond of the SMP Dynamic. It's great in all but the hardest of efforts where I have a bit of numbness.

What other saddles have similar deep "hammocks"?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170413/f93e1c11fab579908b823dc88f483e76.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
04-13-2017, 09:33 AM
have you tried a Specialized Power? most people rave about them.

R3awak3n
04-13-2017, 09:39 AM
not a hamocky saddle but I love my power. I have it on all my bikes. Never tried an SMP. The power is ugly too but 1 level less ugly ahah. Works great for me, I rec everyone to try it (some people won't like it though)

teleguy57
04-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Tried a number of saddles, including the Spec Power, and keep coming back to the SMP. Just couldn't get the Power adjusted to where it felt comfortable.

And I have to admit being relieved to have something less funky-looking on the bike (Vanity of vanities coming from a guy on an SMP:))

htwoopup
04-13-2017, 10:01 AM
The numbness may mean try a different SMP. I love my Forma (and everything that follows here I am sure you know) which is the same size as the Dynamic but you can get smaller and larger models which may fit you better. I believe the Carbon is smaller and the Pro is wider but that may be not the latest. Also, remember that the "swoopiness" makes it trickier to set up. There are some pretty good directions across the interwebs all of which are a little different. But I found some that worked for me (basically the saddle can go more forward than usual and tilted up visually is level in actuality...both in minimal amounts but it did matter to me)

Elefantino
04-13-2017, 10:17 AM
The numbness may mean try a different SMP. I love my Forma (and everything that follows here I am sure you know) which is the same size as the Dynamic but you can get smaller and larger models which may fit you better. I believe the Carbon is smaller and the Pro is wider but that may be not the latest. Also, remember that the "swoopiness" makes it trickier to set up. There are some pretty good directions across the interwebs all of which are a little different. But I found some that worked for me (basically the saddle can go more forward than usual and tilted up visually is level in actuality...both in minimal amounts but it did matter to me)
This. ^^^

SMP Pro first (the absolute swoopiest), then an Evolution, and finally now (for the last five years) the Glider, on all my bikes. (Tried the Forma, too, but didn't like that one.) The differences are subtle on paper but IME significant under butt.

GScot
04-13-2017, 10:21 AM
The SMP Dynamic has become my saddle of choice but I recently rode a bike with a Tioga Stratum that was also really comfortable. It looks like a disaster and has a suggested usable lifespan but not too expensive.

http://www.tiogausa.com/main/products/saddles/spyder-stratum/

tuscanyswe
04-13-2017, 10:44 AM
"In all but the hardest of efforts"
Does this mean its not about time in the saddle?

Do you try to get lower when you ride really hard in comparison to less close to the limit? Does your cadence drop? What in your position on the bike changes in the hardest of efforts, if its not just more time in the saddle?

I really like most smps. Forma and Composit are currently on the bikes.
I think what your question perhaps touches on is the only real drawback i have yet to find with smps. They are somewhat limiting your ability to change position on the bike during a ride. The cradle sort of keeps you in your place, wether the body wants to move slightly for or aft during certain type of pedaling. For me when i try to go hard and get tired my cadence drop and i tend to want to slide slightly forward n back with each revolution for which the smps cradle is not ideal. It helps if i tilt it slightly more forward but its sort of a trade of so i just live with it as its still the best saddle for me.

MattTuck
04-13-2017, 10:50 AM
I've got a power, and like it. My biggest complaint with it, is that it is a little wide, and digs into my inner legs at times. I have the 155, so I could try a narrower version and see if that helps.

ANAO
04-13-2017, 11:11 AM
"In all but the hardest of efforts"
Does this mean its not about time in the saddle?

Do you try to get lower when you ride really hard in comparison to less close to the limit? Does your cadence drop? What in your position on the bike changes in the hardest of efforts, if its not just more time in the saddle?

I really like most smps. Forma and Composit are currently on the bikes.
I think what your question perhaps touches on is the only real drawback i have yet to find with smps. They are somewhat limiting your ability to change position on the bike during a ride. The cradle sort of keeps you in your place, wether the body wants to move slightly for or aft during certain type of pedaling. For me when i try to go hard and get tired my cadence drop and i tend to want to slide slightly forward n back with each revolution for which the smps cradle is not ideal. It helps if i tilt it slightly more forward but its sort of a trade of so i just live with it as its still the best saddle for me.
General response: I tried the forma and had great luck until about the 2 hour mark of most rides when I would develop hot spots, chafing, numbness, etc.

Dynamic is excellent. I've found the shape to be very similar except padded more.

I develop numbness when I go above FTP efforts. So if I'm riding at 300 watts, I'm fine for 10, 20 minutes. 315 or so, after 5 minutes I start to develop some numbness. I guess I shift forward a touch, try to get a bit more aero and squeeze power out of my bigger muscles.

I have tried the Power, and liked it, but after getting fit with both saddles, I was putting out 5% more power with the same exertion level with the forma. So I used the forma, and later swapped to dynamic.

I'm fine under FTP for 5 hours or so as long as I take a break every 2-2.5 hours.

tuscanyswe
04-13-2017, 11:44 AM
General response: I tried the forma and had great luck until about the 2 hour mark of most rides when I would develop hot spots, chafing, numbness, etc.

Dynamic is excellent. I've found the shape to be very similar except padded more.

I develop numbness when I go above FTP efforts. So if I'm riding at 300 watts, I'm fine for 10, 20 minutes. 315 or so, after 5 minutes I start to develop some numbness. I guess I shift forward a touch, try to get a bit more aero and squeeze power out of my bigger muscles.

I have tried the Power, and liked it, but after getting fit with both saddles, I was putting out 5% more power with the same exertion level with the forma. So I used the forma, and later swapped to dynamic.

I'm fine under FTP for 5 hours or so as long as I take a break every 2-2.5 hours.

Sounds reasonable, i bet most do.

I dont have another saddle to recommend unfortunately but i would try to tilt saddle just a smidge more forward and c if that makes any difference at all. It does for me but it also puts me in a slightly less comfortable position when i just cruise which honestly is a big percentage of my riding these days hence i live with discomfort (tho not numbness) when i push hard.

jemoryl
04-13-2017, 12:27 PM
These are quite swoopy: http://infinitybikeseat.com/
I have a friend who has been through a lot of seats, including the SMP, and I think he is finding this one to be pretty comfortable (but I've heard that before). To me it looks like a torture device, but.....

ColonelJLloyd
04-13-2017, 01:24 PM
That Infinity looks like the lightweight version of this classic.

https://threespeedblues.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/img_1026.jpg?w=356&h=267

Mikej
04-13-2017, 01:53 PM
Selle San Marco Aspide?

ANAO
04-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Selle San Marco Aspide?
Never tried it. Doesn't look quite as swoopy at first appearance?

OtayBW
04-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Not trying to be controversial here, but if you need swoopiness, it sounds like you're not getting enough support at your sit bones. I ride a ~flat saddle, but it fits me quite well and I do not suffer from numbnutz. What am I missing?

capita
04-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Sam Marco Concor. The vintage ones were very "swoopy" and pretty comfy I might add. Hl

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

tuscanyswe
04-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Not trying to be controversial here, but if you need swoopiness, it sounds like you're not getting enough support at your sit bones. I ride a ~flat saddle, but it fits me quite well and I do not suffer from numbnutz. What am I missing?

A problematic perineum?

capita
04-13-2017, 04:22 PM
San Marco Concor. The vintage ones were very "swoopy" and pretty comfy I might add.

ANAO
04-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Don't different humans have different biomorphologies? Re: The concor, I have used the one Lance rode with some success but do need more of a hammock I think. Can't quite get that sweet spot.

rnhood
04-13-2017, 04:29 PM
I think the hips tend to collapse with some people under hard efforts, which leads to more perineal pressure, thus numbness. Flatter saddles like the Power will exacerbate the issue since there will even be more perineal pressure during hard efforts, or when getting fatigued (hips tend to collapse then too). Lowering the saddle can help mitigate the numbing, but the hip angle becomes more acute, which isn't ideal.

The SMP Glider and Hell models supposedly have slightly less swag than the others (the TT saddles notwithstanding). The Specialized Romin has even less swag, and tends to be a good compromise. Anyway, those are some options that might be worth considering.

Lovetoclimb
04-13-2017, 07:02 PM
That Infinity looks like the lightweight version of this classic.

https://threespeedblues.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/img_1026.jpg?w=356&h=267

My cambium is nearing such mythical levels of Brooks Beausage

stien
04-14-2017, 05:36 AM
I've got a power, and like it. My biggest complaint with it, is that it is a little wide, and digs into my inner legs at times. I have the 155, so I could try a narrower version and see if that helps.

I've had the same problem on my 143 power while racing this year on a different bike. No issues last year with more seat-bar drop and less reach. Dang.