PDA

View Full Version : Mondonico? new information

bikinchris
04-12-2017, 08:37 PM
How well thought of is Mondonico?
I have a complete bike someone dropped on my door. I would prefer to make a deal for someone who just doesn't have lots of money.

ultraman6970
04-12-2017, 08:59 PM
I do not have a lot of money.

Which size is the bike and $?

eBAUMANN
04-12-2017, 09:04 PM
piece of crap, sell sell sell.
to me, preferably.
:cool:

geordanh
04-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Who drops mondonicos off at other people's doors? I want to know this person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikinchris
04-12-2017, 09:22 PM
You should see the pile of wheels he dropped also. And several boxes of parts. Cleaning out his garage and getting rid of clutter.
I am working on two Serottas for him. A Meivici and Ti.
Yes, I like helping people who don't have lots of money. People who have lots of money already have all of the stuff they need and don't usually help others get riding.

If anyone wants to suggest a friend who is less than 6 feet tall and deserves a nice bike, send me a PM.

colker
04-12-2017, 09:25 PM
ok .. so it´s not a 54cm. I already had my IRS taxes ready to show and try to win the poor forum member contest since a MOndonico is my unicorn. Did you mention a pair of aluminum tubular wheels?

ultraman6970
04-12-2017, 09:58 PM
chriss and what else is going to be for sale or give away from this dude?? Do you have a list?? not that i want to put my hands in the stuff (for real, i do not) just curious as usual... :)

jmoore
04-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Great bike. My Diamond is awesome. If you post the for sale list, then I'm sure it will go quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Llewellyn
04-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Why not sell the bike and donate the proceeds to the charity of your choice - might be easier than trying to find someone who can use it as a freebie. Sounds like there'b be no shortage of potential buyers on here.

cachagua
04-13-2017, 12:36 AM
I have a complete Mondonico someone dropped on my door...

Can I borrow your door?

bikinchris
04-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Well, this one wouldn't be completely free. I have to do a few repairs and will do maintenance before boxing it for shipping.

paredown
04-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Why not sell the bike and donate the proceeds to the charity of your choice - might be easier than trying to find someone who can use it as a freebie. Sounds like there'b be no shortage of potential buyers on here.

This seems like a great solution. (and this is not completely self-interested...:D)

I always thought Mondinico was under-rated--and I think the limited distribution through Smart Cycles made them less well-known that they could have been.

Good interview with Bill McCann here--thinks Mondinico was one of the best Italian builders (self-interested to be sure, but I think others agree):
http://roadbikeaction.com/uncategorized/bill-mccann

Later ones were subbed out to Billato I think?
Edit to add: there's a thread on RBR that says Taverna not Billato...

Robbos
04-13-2017, 02:44 PM
Mondonico's have always been in my top five, they have a reputation for being exceedingly well made. And I'm six foot. And I work in the not-for-profit sector making peanuts helping people who have no peanuts. ;)

That said, I agree with some of the comments here about using the sale proceeds to help more people. Example: There is a not-for-profit I volunteer with that sends bikes to impoverished countries, like Bikes Not Bombs. I help them to take donations that aren't useful in these countries (ie nice road bikes and bits) and sell them locally to send more useful stuff overseas. It's crazy when you realize that a mid-range vintage road bike can cover the cost of 10 mtb's that will be used and appreciated. So depending what is in your neighborhood, and if it interests you, there maybe a group that does similar things close to you. Feel free to PM me and I'll help you find something.

Good offer and good on you. I love bikes, but I love sharing them even more.

bikinchris
04-13-2017, 02:55 PM
I often get old MTBs and assorted other bikes that I repair and donate to our local homeless program. Having a bike can allow people to take jobs way off the bus routes.

Robbos
04-13-2017, 02:56 PM
I often get old MTBs and assorted other bikes that I repair and donate to our local homeless program. Having a bike can allow people to take jobs way off the bus routes.

Dude, don't know you, but already like you.

tuscanyswe
04-13-2017, 03:24 PM
You should see the pile of wheels he dropped also. And several boxes of parts. Cleaning out his garage and getting rid of clutter.
I am working on two Serottas for him. A Meivici and Ti.
Yes, I like helping people who don't have lots of money. People who have lots of money already have all of the stuff they need and don't usually help others get riding.

If anyone wants to suggest a friend who is about 6 feet tall and deserves a nice bike, send me a PM.

I like what you are cooking! :beer:

bikinchris
04-13-2017, 08:28 PM
I am happy for the replies and the applications. When I get back to my place in a week, I will take measurements and photos.

bikinchris
04-25-2017, 10:14 PM
Rework. My optical calipers fooled me. The bike is smaller than I thought. The seat tube is only 55cm and TT is 56.5cm.

The bike currently has the saddle set to 36 inches from the pedal to the saddle. So people slightly smaller than 6 foot tall are probably most interested.

bikinchris
04-25-2017, 10:15 PM
ok .. so it´s not a 54cm. I already had my IRS taxes ready to show and try to win the poor forum member contest since a MOndonico is my unicorn. Did you mention a pair of aluminum tubular wheels?

It turns out it's a 55cm frame.

bikinchris
04-25-2017, 10:19 PM
chriss and what else is going to be for sale or give away from this dude?? Do you have a list?? not that i want to put my hands in the stuff (for real, i do not) just curious as usual... :)

Yesterday, he dropped off several more boxes of carbon cranks, Record parts and Dura Ace stuff to go with the carbon wheels and boxes of high end parts recently given to me. I frankly am embarrassed by all of this stuff.

I can't charge him for the work I am doing now. This stuff is worth 8 times what I will charge him to swap parts groups on two bikes and replace cables etc.

oliver1850
04-25-2017, 11:27 PM
The present owner of Torelli was looking for a 56 cm (as I recall) Mondonico as of about 1 year ago. Sounds like size would be close.

todd@torelli.com

ojingoh
04-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Yesterday, he dropped off several more boxes of carbon cranks, Record parts and Dura Ace stuff to go with the carbon wheels and boxes of high end parts recently given to me. I frankly am embarrassed by all of this stuff.

I can't charge him for the work I am doing now. This stuff is worth 8 times what I will charge him to swap parts groups on two bikes and replace cables etc.

Sell it then and donate the money to a bike charity? It sounds like it's pretty valuable stuff so there's a market for it. surely.