PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Cycle Sports in Oakland, CA?

Joe
08-16-2006, 12:59 AM
After too many years on my old (1983!) steel Serotta, I finally plan to start shopping for a new bike. I live near the SF Bay area (Tracy) and know that City Cycle in SF has an excellent reputation. Serotta's website shows that Cycle Sports in Oakland has two Advanced Fit Technicians, but I'm not familiar with that shop. Anticipating that this process will require multiple visits to the shop, Oakland would be much more convenient than SF; however, I don't want to compromise this purchase process just for the sake of convenience. Any recommendations/opinions regarding Cycle Sports?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Skrawny
08-16-2006, 06:57 PM
I've ridden with some of the guys from Cycle Sports and I can say they are nice guys... Can't say much more tho.

I'll see if I can get a more in-depth rec for you.
-s

samtaylor1
08-16-2006, 11:44 PM
When I was living in Oakland (right by the shop) I did a fair amount of business there. The employees seemed to know what they were talking about and there was a lot of custom stuff coming in and out of that shop (also great place to ride around as well). They had the bike when I was there in 2002 so I assume he has a fair amount of practice using it.

There costs are competitive, but they are definitly not cheap.

Hope that helps

Treadly
08-17-2006, 10:57 AM
I purchased a custom Serotta from City Cycle and had a flawless and amazing experience with them in large part due to their then sales guy Ian Casey, who has since joined up with Cyclesports. Not sure if he's still there or not. If he is, you would do well to tap this guy for his time, knowledge, patience, care and attention to detail! One in a million. If not, Ari @ CCycle is great as well, with many Serotta fits under his belt! Both guys by far the best I've met in this cycling rich community!

Good luck! PM if more needed!

tred

MarinRider
08-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Cycle Sports is a wonderful shop and Ian and Chris are the Serotta Certified fitters at the shop. I do fair amount of business there and have purchased two Serotta's through them. In general they are very much a road-oriented pro shop. The owner of the shop, Thierry, is a also the owner of Momentum Sports which runs the Healthnet Pro cycling team. The shop also sponsors a local racing team of mostly Master 1-2-3 and Elite 3 riders to which I am a member. The shop also sponsors regular non-competitive training rides on the weekend and racing training rides on Tuesdays. The shop also sponsors a local non-competitive cycling club as well.

Princing are competitive and they are more willing to offer discounts on things than City Cycles in my experience. I purchased two bikes from Clay years ago and also had good experiences.

In sum, CycleSports is a stand-up shop who is active supporting the cycling community in the Bay Area.

Joe
08-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks very much for the info and recommendations. They were very helpful, and I'll give Ian a call.

Joe