04-12-2017, 02:15 AM
Great little exchange with the Spaniards

https://youtu.be/6filPCtrt0c

Llewellyn
04-12-2017, 03:06 AM
Hehe :hello:

BobC
04-12-2017, 06:37 AM
Old joke. Gets recycled periodically. This must be the Persian Gulf version.

oldpotatoe
04-12-2017, 06:46 AM
Old joke. Gets recycled periodically. This must be the Persian Gulf version.

Yup..when aviators need to slam black shoes..:)

CaptStash
04-12-2017, 03:18 PM
The first time I heard that was when I was a cadet in 1982. Keeps coming around in new versions.

CaptStash....

gemship
04-12-2017, 06:32 PM
That was really funny and as funny as it is. This world is filled with strange stuff that's hard to believe. Having said that, I could kinda see how this just may be plausible if not for the fact that folks here admit this is a recycled joke.

unterhausen
04-12-2017, 08:16 PM
yeah, you would never hear a captain list the other ships he's sailing with. Plus, I know it's the Navy, but they would know if they were headed towards land.

oldpotatoe
04-13-2017, 09:01 AM
yeah, you would never hear a captain list the other ships he's sailing with. Plus, I know it's the Navy, but they would know if they were headed towards land.

Well, not a 'black shoe'..but considering that the Navigator on a USS aircraft carrier is a post command Commander(O-5) and is trained as such for 6 months before he arrives at his duty station AND has 5 or 6 different, redundant ways to "know if they were headed towards land"....Throw in the fact that if a USN ship goes aground for any reason, the CO is relieved of command on the spot..I'd say US Navy ships do indeed know where they are and where they are going..:)

-USN Retired

jruhlen1980
04-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Goes back to at least the 1930s:

http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp

unterhausen
04-13-2017, 02:10 PM
well, I might** be an officer in the AF Reserves, so I feel that it's my duty to make the occasional dig at the Navy.

**I'm pretty sure they owe me a DD214, but the personnel system is so screwed up it's impossible to talk to anyone about it.

BigDaddySmooth
04-13-2017, 07:57 PM
Well, not a 'black shoe'..but considering that the Navigator on a USS aircraft carrier is a post command Commander(O-5) and is trained as such for 6 months before he arrives at his duty station AND has 5 or 6 different, redundant ways to "know if they were headed towards land"....Throw in the fact that if a USN ship goes aground for any reason, the CO is relieved of command on the spot..I'd say US Navy ships do indeed know where they are and where they are going..:)

-USN Retired

The USS Spruance ran aground off Andros Island in 1989. It hit a reef. My ship was on patrol and we intercepted the message traffic. I can't recall the order of precedence of the message but I know the CNO was 3rd or 4th addressee, so we knew heads were going to roll. CO, XO and OOD relieved at a minimum.

oldpotatoe
04-14-2017, 07:20 AM
well, I might** be an officer in the AF Reserves, so I feel that it's my duty to make the occasional dig at the Navy.

**I'm pretty sure they owe me a DD214, but the personnel system is so screwed up it's impossible to talk to anyone about it.

Do you still drill with the USAF? If you don't, and they expect you to, you may jeopardize your DD214..don't pull a Dubya.

AF, flare to land, squat to pee. :)

cd_davis
04-14-2017, 12:02 PM
Man am I laughing, former Naval Officer, qualified OOD/SWO from early 70s. . ..
This stuff happens: on USS Nashville going into Pensacola to deliver 4 antique aircraft to Naval Air Museum. Quite foggy and the local harbor pilot had the con. I was not on watch, but on the port bridge wing. I look down and watch a green buoy go by in the fog. The ship is out of the channel for sure and the pilot realizes that, throws the ship in reverse, but he ends up putting the Nash on the beach. Slight gradient sandy bottom, ship is able to back off. Hull inspection later reveals no damage. Clearly the pilot's error, but Captain Church (O-6) looks bad, but he just assumed command two days before. Did a Med cruise under him, excellent Skipper and great ship handler.
Chris USNR

unterhausen
04-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Do you still drill with the USAF? If you don't, and they expect you to, you may jeopardize your DD214..don't pull a Dubya.
I have been inactive reserve for the last 20 years. All I have to do is send back a form every year that says I'm still fit to serve. By my calculations, they were supposed to discharge me back in January.

BobC
04-14-2017, 03:00 PM
I have been inactive reserve for the last 20 years. All I have to do is send back a form every year that says I'm still fit to serve. By my calculations, they were supposed to discharge me back in January.

If USAF Reserves is like the USN Reserves, paperwork which declares you eligible to retire takes about 6 months after your 20 year mark.