PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edge 520 Display Readability VS Edge 500

wasfast
04-10-2017, 09:13 PM
I've had a 500 for 6 years and functionally, it's fine. The backlight display works fine for dark/mostly dark times of day. In full sun, it's really tough to read.

Considering a 520 but after reading the (large) number of comments on DCRainmaker, it's not clear to me that it's really any better. I don't want more features ( I use speed, ride time, HR, power, time of day, grade, lap times) I want to easily see the display in the San Diego sun.

adub
04-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Wahoo

makoti
04-10-2017, 10:17 PM
I had the 500 & know what you mean. I think the 520 is way easier to read. I don't ride at dusk/dawn, so that may be an issue, but I can read it fine.

Clancy
04-10-2017, 10:43 PM
Had the 500, then the 510, now the 520.

The 520 is by far the hardest to see in daylight. Not direct sun, just any sun.

There are times (most of the time) where I can't see anything. Even with the backlight on 100% it's very hard to see, and having the backlight on runs the battery down.

It's pretty worthless. To me it's a data storage device, not a device to monitor data.

I've been very disappointed.

Thinking of going with the 1000 but would first like to know that I will be able to see - and read - the screens.

pdmtong
04-10-2017, 11:56 PM
My 500 got launched when I gaffed a section and inverted our full-suspension mountain tandem into a head first 30 foot downhill slide. That was the kind of excitement I did not need - and my wife reminds me of it often.

the 520 that replaced it...no issues. you get used to whatever you have. I like the bluetooth connectivity to iphone (see who called and text while riding) and upload after ride.

neither are perfect but I do not miss the 500. except for it was going to be my beater GPS unit.

oliver
04-11-2017, 01:56 AM
I haven't had any problems with reading mine in the sun.

chiasticon
04-11-2017, 07:50 AM
I don't have the 520 but I've had the 800 and 810 and they've been fine. I assume the 520 is similar, display-wise.

for the dusk/dawn thing, the 810 will invert the color scheme once the sun sets/rises so it's easier to read. again, I'm guessing 520 does the same since it's also a color display.

Clancy
04-11-2017, 08:57 AM
I haven't had any problems with reading mine in the sun.

Whatever you did to set yours up, please let me know. I honestly cannot see the screen literally 80% of the time. If I'm in shadows, the screen becomes visible.

Lack of visibility is my only complaint. Not the most intuitive to set up, but great versatility with multiple data screens.

But not being able to see the data is pretty frustrating.

oliver
04-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Whatever you did to set yours up, please let me know. I honestly cannot see the screen literally 80% of the time. If I'm in shadows, the screen becomes visible.

Lack of visibility is my only complaint. Not the most intuitive to set up, but great versatility with multiple data screens.

I just have it tilted a bit. It's also mounted on my stem cap so I have to move my head a bit to see it, but I don't remember too many problems when I used the out front mount.

Wayne77
04-11-2017, 06:02 PM
I also have no issues using my 520 in the sun. And I rarely turn up brightness to 100%

The 520 is MUCH better then the 500. No contest....

echappist
04-11-2017, 09:41 PM

set the screen to night mode as it increases contrast; out front mount also helps

i think my screen brightness is at 70%

the display is a lot sharper than my old 500

cv1966
04-12-2017, 06:53 PM
I also have no issues using my 520 in the sun. And I rarely turn up brightness to 100%

The 520 is MUCH better then the 500. No contest....

Agreed. I have both the 500 and 520 and much prefer the 520 in every way.

wasfast
04-13-2017, 12:44 AM
adub mentioned Wahoo so I did some looking at the new Elemnt Bolt model. Certainly some things to like about it compared to the 520 but not an overwhelming favorite. I also looked at the Lezyne micro C but all the firmware issues scared me off. DC Rainmaker is a beyond belief site where you can loose days without even realizing it.

Likely I'll get a 520 and see how it goes. I have seen one or two on the club rides. Need to inquire in person as well.

Appreciate all the replies and opinions, excellent as usual on Paceline.

zap
04-13-2017, 06:22 AM
My 520 is right in front of the stem (with barfly stem mount) and have the screen set at 90%. No issues reading the display on sunny days.

alembical
04-13-2017, 11:09 AM
I have the 520 and no issues reading it in the sun. One pair of glasses I have makes it a little difficult, but that is due to the polarized lenses of the glasses. I like my brightness a little lower, around 50% and a have the screen time out fairly quickly to help preserve battery power, which to me is the only issue with the 520. I have a 7 hour ride coming up where I will need mapping, so I will likely turn off bluetooth, untether it to my phone, drop screen brightness and have the screen brightness reduced quicker.

The people I have seen with trouble reading the screen, have been able to reduce that by readjusting where it is located. Seems to work better more out in front than right below on the stem. I think glasses make a big difference, especially polarized or not

dton
04-13-2017, 11:21 AM
adub mentioned Wahoo so I did some looking at the new Elemnt Bolt model. Certainly some things to like about it compared to the 520 but not an overwhelming favorite. I also looked at the Lezyne micro C but all the firmware issues scared me off. DC Rainmaker is a beyond belief site where you can loose days without even realizing it.

Likely I'll get a 520 and see how it goes. I have seen one or two on the club rides. Need to inquire in person as well.

Appreciate all the replies and opinions, excellent as usual on Paceline.

If screen legibility is your primary concern I can vouch that the Wahoo is miles better than the 520 (I've had owned 510,520/820, and BOLT). The TFT screen is much better in direct sunlight (this is an inherent ability due to the TFT technology) and the ability to adjust the fields means that you can make the most important field much larger than on the Garmin.

The couple issues with the Wahoo:
- If you ride at night a lot, the Garmin is advantageous in that you can leave the screen on at ~10-20% brightness which allows you to always read the screen without activating it constantly. This has minimal battery drain. I haven't found a way to adjust the Wahoo's LCD brightness yet.
- You need a smartphone to control most features - a non-issue for me and makes it much easier imo.

makoti
04-13-2017, 01:47 PM
If screen legibility is your primary concern I can vouch that the Wahoo is miles better than the 520 (I've had owned 510,520/820, and BOLT). The TFT screen is much better in direct sunlight (this is an inherent ability due to the TFT technology) and the ability to adjust the fields means that you can make the most important field much larger than on the Garmin.

You can adjust the size of individual fields on the screen? So each screen can have different sized fields depending on what you want them to be?

dton
04-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Not exactly. The interface allows you to increase or decrease the number of fields on-the-fly. The order of fields always remains the same and is adjusted via the app.

Videos show it best: https://youtu.be/PwjSfQgtMwU

TimAZ
04-13-2017, 10:50 PM
I've had both and am currently on a 520. It's way easier to read. In the bright sun and well.

wasfast
04-14-2017, 06:04 AM
I should have mentioned that I use a Barfly out front mount, not stem mounting. Sounds like that is a help in most cases for readability.

bitpuddle
04-14-2017, 06:19 AM
I'm not a fan of the 520. The 580 seems reasonable in bright sun, but keep in mind the angle at which you have it mounted affects readability and polarized glasses can produce some odd effects.

Take a look at Wahoo's new Bolt if you aren't invested in garmin's ecosystem.

phutterman
04-17-2017, 12:51 PM
I found my 520 a hair less readable in the sun when I first got it (from a 500) but got used to it pretty quickly and don't notice any trouble seeing it.

I usually run it with no backlight timeout (so when it's on it stays on) but at 0% during the day and 10% at night.

The front's a bit scratched from ending up on the ground pretty roughly a couple times in crashes before I wised up and started using the leash, so in more angled light sometimes that makes it harder to see, but I haven't bothered polishing it.

I do wish it had a layout that matched the five field (one big, four small) layout from the 500. I'd prefer that to the wide horizontal bars it does for the upper fields in that like 5-7 range, but I'm totally used to it now.