PDA

View Full Version : Eroica CA 2017

choke
04-10-2017, 08:24 PM
A few pics from the day. Hopefully some others will add to the post, I know a few Paceliners were there. I ran into Doc (rccardr) on Saturday and we had a nice chat.

When I arrived at my hotel this was in the parking lot.
http://eroica17.ciocctoo.com/er17-1.jpg

http://eroica17.ciocctoo.com/er17-2.jpg

Seeing this out being ridden was definitely a highlight of the day. I didn't realize it until I was resizing the pic but my bike is visible through the main triangle..the green/white/red one.
http://eroica17.ciocctoo.com/er17-3.jpg

This was discussed in the classifieds in a PSA. It looks pretty decent up close.
http://eroica17.ciocctoo.com/er17-4.jpg

http://eroica17.ciocctoo.com/er17-5.jpg

The couple on the tandem made a good attempt at getting up that first hill at Olea Olive Oil Farm...perhaps 20% of the people ride up that hill, it's a tough one.
http://eroica17.ciocctoo.com/er17-6.jpg

http://eroica17.ciocctoo.com/er17-7.jpg

http://eroica17.ciocctoo.com/er17-8.jpg

http://eroica17.ciocctoo.com/er17-9.jpg

When I received my package at Registration, I keep thinking my number seemed familiar...and not just because it was '123'. When I got home I confirmed my suspicion. What do you think the odds are of this happening?
http://eroica17.ciocctoo.com/er17-10.jpg

mistermo
04-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Im in San Francisco for work last week and this, and VERY MUCH wanted to come down and ride this. Alas, I had no bike, kit, shoes, time, you name it. This ride is firmly on my list for 2018. A few questions:

What is the optimal footwear?

Is it considered boorish to ride a bike, even a lugged one, that is less than 30yrs old?

Would it be even more boorish to ride a bike with 10 speeds, even if it had downtube shifters?

Are there many Shimano clad bikes, given the Italian lineage of the event?

Thanks for sharing!

choke
04-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Im in San Francisco for work last week and this, and VERY MUCH wanted to come down and ride this. Alas, I had no bike, kit, shoes, time, you name it. This ride is firmly on my list for 2018. A few questions:

Is it considered boorish to ride a bike, even a lugged one, that is less than 30yrs old?

Would it be even more boorish to ride a bike with 10 speeds, even if it had downtube shifters?

Thanks for sharing!You should definitely try to make it there next year, it is a fun time.

Shoe wise, you see everything from old school road shoes with cleats to tennis shoes. I use Vittoria 1976 in the SPD version...I leave the cleat cover on. They have worked well for me and if (in my case, when) you have to walk up a hill they aren't a problem. They also look somewhat old school.

I think you'd be fine on a modern frame and with 10sp in the back. You might catch some grief but it would be of the good-natured kind. I have yet to see a bike/gear inspection of any kind there and I've seen a few bikes on the ride that definitely don't fit the spirit of the rules at all....i.e. tig-welded Al. Shimano would be fine as well, there are plenty of non-Campy bikes there.

mhespenheide
04-10-2017, 09:59 PM

Thanks for sharing!

I rode the coastal route this year, and last year. Last year I rode an '87 Bianchi; this year a lugged steel '91 Trek. Both were fitted with Shimano; more period-correct last year, an XT-triple group this year with R600 dual-pivot brakes and "aero" levers. I had 2x8 speeds last year, 3x9 this year (downtube friction; 10-20% ran bar-end friction). No one gave me any grief either year about equipment.

Last year I saw a strong majority of Italian-lineage bikes; I noticed a lot more American bikes this year -- boutique American, from the era and particularly those with a NorCal linkage, like Bruce Gordon.

I haven't ridden L'Eroica in Italy, but the California version seems to be a lot more laid-back and welcoming.

palincss
04-11-2017, 07:21 AM

I presume you don't mean two chain rings up front and a five speed freewheel in back?

Here are the rules:

Article 6 - Criteria for Admission: Bicycles and Clothing
Eroica is an event for road bicycles, dedicated to cyclists wearing vintage or historically inspired gear, on ‘HEROIC BIKES’ (BICI EROICHE) or newly constructed VINTAGE-STYLED BIKES.

6.1 – Bicycles
Historical Bikes (also called Bici Eroiche, in Italian) are all road racing bikes built in 1987 or earlier, with or without gears, as those built in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. These bicycles most likely have a steel frame, but also other types of rare frames are permitted, such as the aluminum frames built by Alan and Vitus, with screwed or glued joints, the Exxon Graftek frames of the late 1970’s with carbon tubes glued to aluminum lugs and Teledyne Titanium frame set made in the 1970's and some aluminum frames that were built in the 30's.

The bicycles should be in line with the following general guidelines regarding components:
a) more recent bikes with gears and derailleurs, such as, but not limited to Simplex, Huret, Campagnolo, Zeus, Shimano, Suntour, etc. must have shift levers on the down tube of the frame; exceptions include pre-1980 non indexed bar-end gear shifters, Stem mounted friction shifters and rod/hand manual operated front derailleurs;
b) pedals should be with toe clips and straps or, for older bikes, as the original pedals; quick release, clip-less pedals are not allowed. You may ride the traditional pedals without the toe clips or straps.
c) we prefer the traditional brake lever setup on the bicycles, brake cables pass outside and over the handlebars (cables can pass inside the top tube of main frame), however, NEW for 2017, aero brake levers without built in shifters will be allowed.
d) older geared bicycles should have original shifters such as Cambio Corsa, Cambio Paris Roubaix, Cambio Vittoria Margherita, etc.;
e) wheels must have at least 32 spokes laced to a low profile rim (20 mm depth or less, except for the wood rims); the rims must be of either steel, aluminum or wood;
f) both tubular tyres and clinchers with inner tubes are allowed;
g) we invite participants to fit saddles from the same period of the bicycles, so a model of 1987 or earlier, or a vintage model of modern production such as Brooks leather saddles, Cinelli replicas, San Marco, etc;
h) the change of the gear ratios is allowed due to the difficulty of the ride;
i) there are no particular rules on the type of brakes as long as they are in line with the construction period of the bicycle and that they are efficient for safety reasons.
Of course, older road racing bicycles of the early 1900’s with single gear or flip-flop rear hubs don’t need to comply with the above criteria as long as they have their original components.
"Vintage-Looking Bikes" with steel frames from new or recent construction with vintage look and characteristics may be used only if they are assembled using vintage components or replicated parts similar to the original as described above. In particular if the bikes are inspired by the design of road racing bicycles of the 1970’s and 1980’s, they must comply with rules a), b), and c) above, regarding shift levers, toe clips and straps, and brake cables.
Exemptions regarding the type of bicycle will be granted to participants with disabilities, as long as they make a specific request to the organization at the time of registration.
For the short route, other types of vintage bicycles will be admitted, such as postman’s bikes, military bikes, general working bicycles, leisure bicycles, etc. as long as they were built in 1987 or earlier.
Mountain bikes, cyclo cross bikes and time trial bikes are excluded from all routes.
Any registered cyclist who arrives at the start line or found on the route on the day of the ride with a bicycle/components that do not conform with the criteria set forth by the event organizers may face an immediate disqualification upon discovery.

NOTE: Revised for 2017 event. Many people have asked the reason for these rules, specifically with regards to pedals and brakes. In our opinion, aero levers and clipless pedals are the sign of modern-age cycling. Both became popular in the mid-1980s and they forever changed the look of traditional road racing bicycles. Therefore, our founding members have decided not to allow them at our events. However, at 2017 Eroica California, we have decided to allow the aero brake levers with brake cable routed under the bar tape (only the brake lever function is allowed on the levers) to encourage more people to participate. Many of our participants simply swap pedals to comply for the event and switch them back. You can read how to do this in our 'News' section of our website on the homepage.

6.2 – Clothing
Participants must be dressed in period or period looking cycling clothing, in particular we encourage to wear wool jerseys and shorts. Reissued wool or non-wool vintage-looking jerseys and shorts are allowed as long as they look proper. Technical underwear is allowed as long as it is not visible. The event organizers reserve the right to give warnings to any participant whose clothing is viewed unsuitable or inappropriate for the event. If such clothing is discovered on the day of the ride the event organizers reserve the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that is considered inappropriate.

6.3 – Accessories
Consistently with the vintage spirit of the event, participants are invited to carefully select all accessories of their bicycles and clothing. In particular we invite participants to use leather cycling shoes, traditional cycling caps, aluminum water bottles, etc. The only modern cycling accessory, which is allowed, is a safety cycling helmet, which we invite everyone to use.
All cyclists must bring along a puncture repair kit and other essential tools for small repairs.

-- https://www.eroicacalifornia.com/regulation

weisan
04-11-2017, 08:04 AM
This bike is eroica ready

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=203248

redir
04-11-2017, 08:44 AM
That looks like so much fun, I'd love to do something like that on my '83 Guerciotti.

bikingshearer
04-11-2017, 06:36 PM
The couple on the tandem made a good attempt at getting up that first hill at Olea Olive Oil Farm...perhaps 20% of the people ride up that hill, it's a tough one.
http://eroica17.ciocctoo.com/er17-6.jpg

A true story about that @#&^% little hill: During Eroica California No 1, I hit the bottom of that climb in my lowest gear of 45x28 (since remedied with a 30x28 - much better) with my toe clips fully tightened down, having forgotten to loosen them. I had the best straps money could buy back in the day - Binda Extras. And why were they considered the best? Because they do not stretch. At. All. Not under any circumstance. Not even at the behest of a rather large, fairly strong and quite desperate me.

By then, I was going far too slowly (and I am far too ungainly) to be able to loosen the straps, so I faced a choice: fall over in front of everyone, guaranteeing serious embarrassment and risking possible injury; or find a way to grind up the hill.

I did not fall over. Oh my God, it hurt. By the time I got to a place where I could undo the straps and drape myself over the handlebars for something like five minutes, part of me was afraid I was going to barf up a lung and die and part of me was afraid that I was not going to barf up a lung and die. I was wrecked for the rest of the ride (and I was only doing the 40 miler).

But I didn't fall over. Billy Crystal parodying Fernando Lamas on SNL used to say "it's better to look good than to feel good." I respectfully disagree.

And yes, I have walked up that rise in both succeeding years, 30x28 gearing and all. Right alongside almost everyone else.

The french fries taste much better that way.

brockd15
04-11-2017, 07:26 PM
A true story about that @#&^% little hill: During Eroica California No 1, I hit the bottom of that climb in my lowest gear of 45x28 (since remedied with a 30x28 - much better) with my toe clips fully tightened down, having forgotten to loosen them. I had the best straps money could buy back in the day - Binda Extras. And why were they considered the best? Because they do not stretch. At. All. Not under any circumstance. Not even at the behest of a rather large, fairly strong and quite desperate me.

By then, I was going far too slowly (and I am far too ungainly) to be able to loosen the straps, so I faced a choice: fall over in front of everyone, guaranteeing serious embarrassment and risking possible injury; or find a way to grind up the hill.

I did not fall over. Oh my God, it hurt. By the time I got to a place where I could undo the straps and drape myself over the handlebars for something like five minutes, part of me was afraid I was going to barf up a lung and die and part of me was afraid that I was not going to barf up a lung and die. I was wrecked for the rest of the ride (and I was only doing the 40 miler).

But I didn't fall over. Billy Crystal parodying Fernando Lamas on SNL used to say "it's better to look good than to feel good." I respectfully disagree.

And yes, I have walked up that rise in both succeeding years, 30x28 gearing and all. Right alongside almost everyone else.

The french fries taste much better that way.

Ha, excellent! I'm sure it didn't feel that way, but it makes for a good story.

Sounds like a fun ride, and I'm in CA so it could be doable. Maybe I'll try to cobble together a passable bike for next year.

sjbraun
04-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Which route did you ride? I'm heading to Cambria and was thinking about doing one of Eroicas routes. Are there any services along the way? Would this not be a route to attempt solo?

Thanks

rccardr
04-12-2017, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to ride the Coastal Route solo (as long as you're equipped to handle any breakdowns), but am not sure how much of it is on private land, so that would be worth looking into first.

Also, much of it has zero cell service, so if you're hurt or bike is broken in a way that cannot be easily repaired, you either have to rely on the kindness of strangers or take a long walk out.

Here's a link to a slideshow of pics from this past weekend:
http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rccardr/slideshow/Eroica%20CA%202017

And a sample or three:
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/rccardr/Eroica%20CA%202017/23keileralt1IMG_5840_zps81j4v8ve.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rccardr/media/Eroica%20CA%202017/23keileralt1IMG_5840_zps81j4v8ve.jpg.html)
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/rccardr/Eroica%20CA%202017/29cypress3IMG_5857_zpsowllodxr.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rccardr/media/Eroica%20CA%202017/29cypress3IMG_5857_zpsowllodxr.jpg.html)
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/rccardr/Eroica%20CA%202017/27cypress1IMG_5848_zpsijrlxuqc.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rccardr/media/Eroica%20CA%202017/27cypress1IMG_5848_zpsijrlxuqc.jpg.html)

Hindmost
04-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the pictures. I see myself starting in the same Costal group. Funny how your pictures don't show the morning chill, the drag of the climbs, the accumulating fatigue---the friendly comradery is apparent, however.

merckxman
04-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Not often you see a Confente on the road, even rarer if dirt roads are involved. Kudos to the owner.

mhespenheide
04-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Which route did you ride? I'm heading to Cambria and was thinking about doing one of Eroicas routes. Are there any services along the way? Would this not be a route to attempt solo?

Thanks

This year's (modified) coastal route didn't go on any private roads since they had to route around the climb of Kiler Canyon -- which evidently had 8-12" of mud after Friday's rains.

Totally do-able solo as long as you don't break down...

drewellison
04-12-2017, 02:32 PM
What is it about the hill we all hear about (who have not experienced it)? Is it the length, the grade, or the condition/surface, or all three?

Tickdoc
04-12-2017, 02:50 PM
One of these days I want to grow a kickass letterman-like beard and participate in this event.

Thanks for sharing the pics and report.

AllanVarcoe
04-12-2017, 03:32 PM
So how about using my 94 Bridgestone RB-2? Under the new rules the aero levers are allowed. It has DT shifters and is lugged. It's not pre '87 though.

mhespenheide
04-12-2017, 03:45 PM
So how about using my 94 Bridgestone RB-2? Under the new rules the aero levers are allowed. It has DT shifters and is lugged. It's not pre '87 though.

It would have been fine this year. I saw a couple '92-'94 RB-1's last year modified to run non-aero levers. I don't know if they'll change the requirements next year. The only real requirements are:
[1] lugged steel or fillet-brazed steel
[2] friction shifting (down tube or bar-end)
[3] no clipless pedals

A certain subset of non-steel bikes are allowed, most notably: Vitus and Alan aluminum frames from pre-'87, Alan Carbon from pre-'87, Exxon Graftek, and Teledyne Titan (titanium). I saw one person last year on a Look KG96, a La Vie Claire replica from the '86 tour. These appear to me to be holdovers from the Italian rules -- in my opinion, pre-'87 Cannondales and Kleins should be allowed, but don't appear to be.

Otherwise, the California standards are pretty loose compared to the European rides.

Spdntrxi
04-12-2017, 04:05 PM
I plan to do next year.. I don't think I will go aero levers though.. I'll be LaVieClaired out.. look kg86 carbon lugged and mostly Mavic equipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hindmost
04-12-2017, 04:34 PM
What is it about the hill we all hear about (who have not experienced it)? Is it the length, the grade, or the condition/surface, or all three?

Killer Canyon and Cypress Canyon are pretty standard California Coast Range fireroads with some steep pitches. Things get interesting if you use a 42 x 25, say. Part of Killer Canyon resembles a ditch with a road and a small creek running down it.

choke
04-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Which route did you ride? I'm heading to Cambria and was thinking about doing one of Eroicas routes. Are there any services along the way? Would this not be a route to attempt solo? ThanksThe short route doesn't go over any private property AFAIK (there is a loop through the Cass winery property but I don't think it's shown on the maps and it's easily bypassed). I think there may be some on the medium and the coastal but I don't know for sure. There are no services except where the route goes through a town. This year's (modified) coastal route didn't go on any private roads since they had to route around the climb of Kiler Canyon -- which evidently had 8-12" of mud after Friday's rains.

Totally do-able solo as long as you don't break down...Even if it had went through Kiler, is any of that private property? I was under the impression that it wasn't. Last year once finished with Kiler the route went to another stop and then over private property towards Halter Ranch but this year it went a different direction after Kiler and that section wasn't included. What is it about the hill we all hear about (who have not experienced it)? Is it the length, the grade, or the condition/surface, or all three?If you mean Kiler Canyon, it's long, steep in places (I've read 17%) and all dirt. Much of it is under tree cover so it can also be slick at times. If you mean the short hill at Olea, it's loose and you have no chance at hitting it with any speed. It doesn't look that hard but it's deceptive.So how about using my 94 Bridgestone RB-2? Under the new rules the aero levers are allowed. It has DT shifters and is lugged. It's not pre '87 though.Sure, that's fine. You could even do it on a frame that you built yourself as long as it meets the rules.

AllanVarcoe
04-12-2017, 04:51 PM
I didn't look over all the rules but is there anything about sterer tube size/stem style?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mhespenheide
04-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Even if it had went through Kiler, is any of that private property? I was under the impression that it wasn't. Last year once finished with Kiler the route went to another stop and then over private property towards Halter Ranch but this year it went a different direction after Kiler and that section wasn't included.

Honestly, I was only following others at that point in the ride, so I don't know if nixing Kiler this year was what changed the route, or whether it was already planned not to go through some of the private (dirt) roads through a winery. As you mention, last year there was a stop just after Kiler where we turned off the main roads into a winery. Some of those hills were also tough...

As far as I could see, this year's coastal route is entirely public.

mhespenheide
04-12-2017, 05:56 PM
I didn't look over all the rules but is there anything about steerer tube size/stem style?

I didn't see anything about it. I saw a couple people out this year on what were threadless stems (not quill). All the ones that I saw had 26mm skinnier bars, though. Not a requirement that I can see from the rules.

colker
04-12-2017, 06:06 PM

Is that BIanchi in the firts post pre 87? Looks like a later bike.

weisan
04-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Pre-1987?... wow! That means the only bike in my stable that qualifies for the event is the Richard Sachs, which was built in 1985 according to ATMO pal. ;)