PDA

View Full Version : Bought some Eurus wheels....

kookmyers
04-10-2017, 01:11 PM
I picked up some used Eurus wheels yesterday.
They are older and are marked "Mega G3". The hubs do not have any taper to them like the new ones do and have a logo.
They look like these:
https://www.coloradocyclist.com/campagnolo-eurus-2-way-fit-wheelset

When I got home and installed my cassette, i noticed that there was a plating that was flaking off in places on the freehub. Do i need to be concerned about this?

They seem to ride nicely. It is difficult to tell the difference between them and the Open Pro on Record Hubs with 32 spokes they replaced. Not sure if it is in my head but i felt a little faster today. My time was also less. There are many factors there though. Traffic lights and the fact that i am on fresh legs.

A little bummed about the cassette flaking and although i knew this going in, i only got the front Campy skewer. The rear one is a Mavic.

kookmyers
04-10-2017, 01:13 PM
ooops.....:rolleyes:

45K10
04-10-2017, 01:19 PM
I have been on the same wheels for the past three years and the free-hub did the same thing you describe. It hasn't been a problem.

They are nice wheels and roll very smooth, can't beat Campy hubs IMO

kookmyers
04-10-2017, 01:43 PM
I have been on the same wheels for the past three years and the free-hub did the same thing you describe. It hasn't been a problem.

They are nice wheels and roll very smooth, can't beat Campy hubs IMO

Thanks 45K10!

kookmyers
04-12-2017, 02:01 PM
I've ridden for a few days on the wheels now and have observed the following:

1. Call me crazy but my commute seems to be taking less time. I wish i had more objective data for this. I dont feel like i am moving any faster at any time...including up the hills. Just checked my Garmin and the on-device data suggests i am riding faster overall. I wish i had the "average moving speed" but I dont without connecting it to a computer.

2. Braking does not seem to be as good compared to the Open Pro's they replaced. Same tires, same brakes, same pads. They sound rough and i can feel it through the lever. The Open Pro's were completely smooth.

I purchased them for $200 with 1 campy front skewer and 1 Mavic rear skewer. They had tires and tubes that have no worth to me. I have no use for two wheelsets. I am debating returning them to the local seller as that was offered when i got them. I am just not sure they are that much better than what i have.

What do you think?

Hilltopperny
04-12-2017, 02:29 PM
You may need to adjust your brakes. The rims may be a slightly different width. That would cause them to brake a bit differently. I usually have to adjust my brakes if I use different wheelsets on the same bike.

kookmyers
04-12-2017, 02:43 PM
You may need to adjust your brakes. The rims may be a slightly different width. That would cause them to brake a bit differently. I usually have to adjust my brakes if I use different wheelsets on the same bike.

I'll look into that. thanks

zmudshark
04-12-2017, 02:54 PM
I have a set of Eurus and a set of OP's. The pads are set lower on the Eurus bike, by a couple mm.

colker
04-12-2017, 03:44 PM
I've ridden for a few days on the wheels now and have observed the following:

1. Call me crazy but my commute seems to be taking less time. I wish i had more objective data for this. I dont feel like i am moving any faster at any time...including up the hills. Just checked my Garmin and the on-device data suggests i am riding faster overall. I wish i had the "average moving speed" but I dont without connecting it to a computer.

2. Braking does not seem to be as good compared to the Open Pro's they replaced. Same tires, same brakes, same pads. They sound rough and i can feel it through the lever. The Open Pro's were completely smooth.

I purchased them for $200 with 1 campy front skewer and 1 Mavic rear skewer. They had tires and tubes that have no worth to me. I have no use for two wheelsets. I am debating returning them to the local seller as that was offered when i got them. I am just not sure they are that much better than what i have.

What do you think?

I think someone shortened your roads. That´s more likely than your Eurus wheels being that much faster.

rousseau
04-12-2017, 03:48 PM
I purchased them for $200...
You got a pair of used Eurus wheels for $200?

I'm jealous.

kookmyers
04-12-2017, 03:52 PM
I think someone shortened your roads. That´s more likely than your Eurus wheels being that much faster.

thank you for making me smile. <almost> laughed out loud!

Cloozoe
04-12-2017, 04:06 PM

Well, yeah, but that's kind of a harsh, technocratic way of looking at it.

Golf pro tries new putter. Pro putts better. It wears off.

Let the poor guy enjoy the "better" in its brief ephemerality >)

Ralph
04-12-2017, 04:32 PM
We have no idea what condition a set of used Eurus wheels are in. How old they are....which model, year, etc. But am glad he likes them. In good condition.....they are great wheels. In our area, I know of two different folks who can easily repair them.....who keep spokes available, etc. So enjoy your wheels. If you love riding them....maybe you are faster.

I've got a pair of fairly new Zonda's and a pair of black Record 32 hole hubs laced to IRD 390 gram (advertised) Cadence clincher rims......I ride both about equally. The Zonda's are about 100 grams lighter, and have half the front spokes and less than 2/3 of the rear spokes of the 32 spoke wheels. So I think my Zonda's are faster riding in a group than my 32 spoke wheels. (they ride stiffer also....so on longer rides I usually use the 32 spoke wheels on my custom steel frame bike)

My Zonda's have same number of spokes and pattern as Eurus. (steel VS Eurus aluminum)

kookmyers
04-12-2017, 05:20 PM
We have no idea what condition a set of used Eurus wheels are in. How old they are....which model, year, etc.

The seller guessed they were from about 2010 and claims they were used very little. Seemed like a nice guy who would have no reason to lie. They have some nicks and the issue with the peeling freehub.

https://goo.gl/photos/SN3jtExiLBkk7zsY7

brockd15
04-12-2017, 05:58 PM
I am debating returning them to the local seller as that was offered when i got them. I am just not sure they are that much better than what i have.

What do you think?

Unless there's something wrong with them that you didn't know about beforehand, I wouldn't return them, but that's just me. I would play with the brake pads to get the feel you want, then put the tires and tubes that came with them on your OP wheelset and sell that one.

And maybe they are faster! But even if they're only as fast as your others, they sure look cooler!

zmudshark
04-12-2017, 08:02 PM
I'm willing to bet the Eurus are faster than OPs.

I'd even bet real money, not internet money.

oldpotatoe
04-13-2017, 05:16 AM
[QUOTE=kookmyers;2157014

What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Essentially same hubs, great hubs. Biggest issue is if you kill a rim or break a spoke. Some say replacements are available but may cost a bundle. With a hub/rim/standard spokes type wheel, you won't be faced with the hub becoming a pen holder cuz the very proprietary rims or spokes aren't available any more.