PDA

View Full Version : What's the purpose of the Campagnolo Ghibli cassette?

Veloo
04-10-2017, 07:01 AM
Happen to come across this as I was curious if Campy made an 11 straight block.
9 speed cassette with 11 spacing?
Will an 11 chain normally not work with a 9 cassette? I figured the throw of the levers would take care of that.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/campagnolo-ghibli-9-speed-road-cassette/rp-prod70215

Lewis Moon
04-10-2017, 08:37 AM
I dunno....but I bet these guys ride it:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/36/ce/ef/36ceefd0975813864d4f47a0a609e037.gif

ultraman6970
04-10-2017, 08:43 AM
You can use an 11 speed chain probably all the way down to 8 speed w/o having that big of a problem. I have used 10 speed chain all the way down to 7 speed, lower so would not surprise me that the 11 speed chain could work fine at least all the way down to 8 speed...

Straight blocks are rare now a days unless you make your own like miche does, I got a miche 11 custom made 12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/21/23/25. Back in the day were more common for the guys to use those straight blocks, personally I like them a lot because sucked to have a 2 teeth jump in which one was going to be way too much gear and the other was going to get you dropped because the guys were cranking it really hard, specially with wind. Many times we were hoping the day we were able to get half teeth cogs but those ones were not going to happen ever :) Racing is a strange world... is not ruled for what the 99% of the market buys and have in their bikes. Thats the reason of those straight blocks.

BTw they put the 11 speed chain detail in there just to be able to move them out, is not that the thing has 11 speed spacing, those are 9 speed spacing and maybe the teeth are a little bit thinner to save weight because the gibly was a TT line of wheels, even the gibhly stuff used a spacer in the back I believe aswell.

hope this helps.

ultraman6970
04-10-2017, 08:43 AM
Kodamas :) genius!

I dunno....but I bet these guys ride it:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/36/ce/ef/36ceefd0975813864d4f47a0a609e037.gif

Rusty Luggs
04-10-2017, 08:44 AM
My recollection is that a special cassette was required for Campagnolo's Ghibli disc wheel - I remember there was a 9spd cassette at 10 spd spacing for that wheel way back when, suspect cassette you highlighted is update of that to allow 11 spd chain/shifting.

oldpotatoe
04-10-2017, 08:52 AM
My recollection is that a special cassette was required for Campagnolo's Ghibli disc wheel - I remember there was a 9spd cassette at 10 spd spacing for that wheel way back when, suspect cassette you highlighted is update of that to allow 11 spd chain/shifting.

They couldn't fit a 10s cogset onto the hub and still maintain what they wanted to do with the disc. Yes, 10 of 11 cogs will work, ALWAYS match chain 'speeds ' to cogset spacing. On index/click shifting, you need to ensure the chain is wide enough, particularly with some shifting that doesn't 'over shift then center', type.

A 11s chain won't work with 8s or 9s spaced cogset s unless the shifting is friction.

Rusty Luggs
04-10-2017, 09:59 AM
They couldn't fit a 10s cogset onto the hub and still maintain what they wanted to do with the disc. .....

i.e. make it lenticular

gfk_velo
04-10-2017, 01:00 PM
They couldn't fit a 10s cogset onto the hub and still maintain what they wanted to do with the disc. Yes, 10 of 11 cogs will work, ALWAYS match chain 'speeds ' to cogset spacing. On index/click shifting, you need to ensure the chain is wide enough, particularly with some shifting that doesn't 'over shift then center', type.

A 11s chain won't work with 8s or 9s spaced cogset s unless the shifting is friction.

This and what Rusty Luggs has to say, are correct - the Ghibli cassette body had to fit into the space originally used by the freewheel on a threaded hub and so couldn't be made wide enough for the standard 9/10/11 body - so a body *just* wide enough for 9 was used (FH-GH015) sitting on a 132 mm OLN axle. When Campag went to 10s they made 9s cassettes, spaced and ramped as the 1st 9 of a 10 cassette ... IIRC a thin shim behind the cassette was needed. Enter 11s and the same problem - again a special cassette was made & in general in those cases, a spacer is used both to take up "free" body length and to get the top sprocket into the optimal place relative to the dropout.