PDA

View Full Version : New MTB Shoe Recommendations?

scoobydrew
04-09-2017, 03:06 PM
I own only 1 pair of clipless shoes, Sidi Dominator 5, that is currently used for everything from commuting, road bike, gravel, and MTB (including technical stuff).

At this point, it's safe to say they need to be replaced. These have served me well, so I was looking at getting another pair of Dominators.

However, there's a ton of options now that might be equivalent and possibly cheaper. Am I missing anything by going with another pair of Sidis?

I've tried out some Giros (VR70, Privateer) and some Shimanos, which felt great and are lower in price.

Thanks in advance

wildboar
04-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Here's the killer deal:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-sh-xc90-shoes-mens

fogrider
04-09-2017, 03:22 PM
yes, there are lots of options! I too had to replace my worn out MTB shoes and looked those that you mentioned. I wanted carbon and boas but they were crazy money. I ended up with these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/diadora-x-vortex-pro-mtb-spd-shoes/rp-prod156200

sizes are limited, but these guys have others for good prices. I found that there is no padding under the boas (stuck some velcro, (ironic?) on there and its fine).

wpod
04-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Currently riding Mavic Fury's and Sidi Drako's after migrating from Sidi Ergo 2's and 3 bolt pedals towards SPD's. Purchased both pairs used for screaming cheap...

Both fit well, though the sz 45 Drako's don't quite fit the same as my previous sz 45 Ergo 2's. Drako's seem a bit fuller and the lorica does not breath quite as well as the mesh. The Fury's are great but they just aren't quite as beefy as the Drako's, seeming almost slipper like. Really like the closure system, but just doesn't seem as robust as the Drako's.

Love the adjustment of the Drako's which provide the Sidi feel/fit in spades. Only caveat is I would have prefered a size smaller( 44.5 ) Drako given the newer fit. Still work, just not as 'perfect' as my Ergo 2's where.

The carbon soles on both are quite stiff, enough so that there is NO flex, but with the recessed SPD clea walkable w/o any concern or issue.

Was also considering the VR70's but couldn't pass up the pricing on either of these.

Standard YMMV clause applies of course.
:banana:

vqdriver
04-09-2017, 11:23 PM
The new shimano xc7 is a little bit awesome. Available in wide or normal sizes.
I normally wear sidi but made the switch and am very happy

oliver
04-10-2017, 02:44 AM
I replaced my dominator 5s with a pair of VR90s from treefort when they were on sale last year for 165. I also went up a size form 42 to 43.

Tony
04-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Have the expert (Boa) and the older comp (velcro) great shoes!
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/shoes/mountain

Bob Ross
04-10-2017, 11:00 AM
If I can convince myself that their Megas actually fit my foot, I'll probably try the Sidi Dragon 4 as my next shoe, just so I can experience what all the hubbub is about ...but I've spent the past 10+ years in Specialized and Gaerne shoes, and have no complaints. The Gaerne especially are a very high quality shoe (ostensibly made in the same Italian town where the Sidi factory is!) that was ridiculously underpriced compared to the competition.

xjoex
04-10-2017, 10:54 PM
I am a big fan of a less racer-y shoe. The new shoes with rubber/vibram soles are just great. I have been using the Mavic Crossride XL Elite for the past year and think they are pretty much perfect. The traction off the bike is so worth it. If you have to scramble up some rocks or walk through the office lobby..

Review: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2016/08/review-mavic-crossride-xl-elite-protect.html

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-28xeYCSjV2g/V7aHNmiCoaI/AAAAAAAAaQ8/sINvx76DLj0q_KgjNSlGRnEQIZn0pv07QCLcB/s640/P8170185.jpg

-Joe

JAGI410
04-11-2017, 06:53 AM
Giro Terraduros have been perfect for me.

Mikej
04-11-2017, 06:59 AM
I always go with SIDI - I have had good experiences and longevity I also really like the DRAKO -

DonH
04-11-2017, 11:42 AM
I just got the Shimano ME-7 shoes. So far I really like them - nice fit for my narrow foot and great soles for when you have to walk a tough section of trail.

bluesea
04-11-2017, 12:38 PM
I'm on my 3rd pair of Dominators, and they fit very close to the road shoes which is a plus.

Guess its only me but the narrowness of the last easily makes them ankle breakers. Just saying. I went with the Dominator (7) again because they fit, and I'm very picking about shoe fit. That and with shipping to Honolulu, it costs a fortune to go through the return process.

spinarelli
04-11-2017, 12:42 PM
I am also switching from ergo2s to a mtb shoe. last week I got the giro vr90 for $180. today they went up to $221 but they always send you voucher codes so worth signing up to the mailing list.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-footwear/giro-empire-vr90-dirt-cycling-shoes-black/lime/11366904.html?settingsSaved=Y&shippingcountry=US&switchcurrency=USD&countrySelected=Y

benb
04-11-2017, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't be afraid to try less boutique brands.. I've loved Specialized shoes in the past, I love the 2 pairs of Bontrager shoes I have now. Heck I've never really been unhappy with any bike shoes, I had Shimano and DMT shoes in the past too and was very happy with them. One of the things I've been most happy about with Spec. Ed. and Bontrager is in both cases they tend to make road and MTB version of the same shoe.. so you can easily go buy one pair of each and they fit identically, even to the point of being able to buy one pair of orthotics/insoles and they fit perfectly in both.

I went in a couple years ago and tried on Sidi and Fizik and they just didn't fit me well enough to justify the sky high prices, particularly the Fizik shoes.. ugly, seemed like the leather was too delicate/fashionable, and they had a huge built in carbon fiber arch that didn't work for my foot.

There's something out there for everyone.

luckycat
04-11-2017, 03:46 PM
I was a Sidi guy, and clipless guy for years. Tried flats and 5 10s as kind of a fluke, haven't looked back, have them on all my mountain bikes now.

scoobydrew
04-30-2017, 08:46 PM
Thanks everyone. I've narrowed my search down to a few shoes.

Regarding carbon soled shoes, will there be any issues using Time ATAC cleats on them? These cleats, when fully tightened down, create an indent to prevent unwanted movement.

Benneke
04-30-2017, 08:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I've narrowed my search down to a few shoes.

Regarding carbon soled shoes, will there be any issues using Time ATAC cleats on them? These cleats, when fully tightened down, create an indent to prevent unwanted movement.

I would suggest using some kind of sole protector that goes in between the cleat and the sole. There are a few varieties out there, crank brothers are the best I've used.

https://www.amazon.com/Crank-Brothers-Bike-Shoe-Shields/dp/B014Q1LJDK

dgauthier
04-30-2017, 10:44 PM
(...) Guess its only me but the narrowness of the last easily makes them ankle breakers. (..)

Are you aware of the Sidi "Mega" versions of their shoes that are extra wide?

nickrenfro
04-30-2017, 11:15 PM
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/giro-privateer-r-hv-mtb-shoe?v=prhv420&adl=1&gclid=CJ3Uv7bqzdMCFUKUfgodxfkPFA

I'm a really big fan of these guys. I've been riding them for about two years now and they've worn pretty nicely. I can't say that I'm an expert on MTB shoes as these are only my second pair, but they feel better and more durable than my previous SIDIs.

Ronsonic
05-01-2017, 07:30 PM
I've been very happy with the comfort and durability of my Giro Privateers. Going to try to wear these out.

Benneke
05-01-2017, 09:18 PM
I've been very happy with the comfort and durability of my Giro Privateers. Going to try to wear these out.

How are yours holding up? I had a pair of the original Privateers from ~2012 and wore out the fabric on the inside of the shoes a little quicker than I would have liked. I was happy with their comfort and performance though, I'd give them another shot as I'm sure they've updated their materials since then.

Mr. Squirrel
05-02-2017, 07:10 AM
you will like these, they are not nuts.

nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5153997/il_fullxfull.91432573.jpg

NHAero
05-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Has anyone tried the Diadora X Vortex Pro shoes that Fogrider linked to earlier in this thread? I've just ordered two pair from Chain Reaction in adjacent sizes. Like the dual Boa design, but don't know how they fit.

Ronsonic
05-02-2017, 09:43 PM
How are yours holding up? I had a pair of the original Privateers from ~2012 and wore out the fabric on the inside of the shoes a little quicker than I would have liked. I was happy with their comfort and performance though, I'd give them another shot as I'm sure they've updated their materials since then.

I've got only about a hundred rides on these, but no signs of wear.

Gummee
05-03-2017, 09:09 AM
I'm a big fan of Lake shoes.

I have the CX-specific version from last year that I'll ride gravel on then race em in the fall.

M

jruhlen1980
05-03-2017, 09:28 AM
I had some Shimano MTB shoes that are pretty comfortable, but the upper tore after just a couple months of routine use. Shimano eventually replaced them on a warranty claim, but they made the warranty process WAY more of a hassle than it needed to be.

To wit:

I sent them the defective shoes. They sent me a replacement. But they sent me the wrong size.

When I contacted them about the wrong size, they insisted at that point that I go through my LBS. My LBS does not sell or deal with Shimano shoes and was not super eager to deal with the warranty claim, although they did because I know the staff.

I eventually got a replacement pair of shoes that have held up well, but they whole warranty process annoyed me. What difference does it make if I fill out the warranty claim form versus the LBS doing it? What if I lived in an area without access to an LBS that would be willing to deal with it? Etc.

I also find this somewhat ironic and inconsistent given Shimano's overall "let's screw the LBS as hard as possible" business practices.

John H.
05-03-2017, 09:52 AM
I had a pair of the road version for a while-
Weird fit and not for me.
They were high volume but not at all wide. Made for someone with a high instep.

Has anyone tried the Diadora X Vortex Pro shoes that Fogrider linked to earlier in this thread? I've just ordered two pair from Chain Reaction in adjacent sizes. Like the dual Boa design, but don't know how they fit.