PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a bike for my son to take to college

Daggett
08-15-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm looking for a cheap bike to get around campus and maybe an occasional 50 mile ride.

He currently rides a road bike but we do not want to send it to college with him because it will probably be stolen and the wheels are not sturdy enough to withstand curb jumping.

Any ideas where to look? We looked at discount stores. They didn't have anything large enough for him, he is 6'2", and they were very poorly made. We also looked at Goodwill. They only had very small bikes in our area. Yard sale season has come to a close. I wonder if shipping would break us up on e-bay?

Any recommondations on what kind of bike to look for would be appreciated also.

Serpico
08-15-2006, 12:34 PM
outdoor shop around here has Marin bikes, they look pretty solid and around $300

REI has some bikes called K2 and Novara

I wouldn't spend a lotta bread for a campus cruiser, just something that fits and some heavy wheels

I had a single-speed Surly for awhile, nice bike but I would still be a bit miffed if it got stolen

there's some "commuter" threads (search function) that might have some ideas

good luck

JohnS
08-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Try a retired "Mormonmobile". :)

sevencyclist
08-15-2006, 01:07 PM
For my son's first 26 inch wheel MTB, I am getting a Bianchi Ocelot which comes in 13 inch size, and is $370 retail. Heavy, but sturdy. Aluminum frame, so I am not as worried about rusting, although the parts might be the first ones to rust and break. I would expect it to last for my two kids, and then I can get them sized properly when they are fully grown.

They come in large sizes, perhaps 21.5 inch size will work for you son.

Ken Robb
08-15-2006, 01:20 PM
something like my 1989 Bridgestone MB3 mtn bike--with Avocet Cross tires it's very versatile and fun on the street. Easy to mount racks, fenders, etc. Same age Stumpjumpers would work too. Single speed might not work for those 50 mile rides or even on a hilly campus.

Jeremy
08-15-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.kmart.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=116473&No=9720&Ntk=All&Nao=9720&N=701000000&Nty=1

You may laugh, but this is actually a pretty nice retro cruiser for cheap. Good for around campus, but probably not for the occasional 50 mile ride.

Jeremy

gdw
08-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Check out Craigslist. You should be able to pick up a quality older mountain bike for under $200. Buy some slicks and a lock and you should still be under your budget.

saab2000
08-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Check out Craigslist. You should be able to pick up a quality older mountain bike for under $200. Buy some slicks and a lock and you should still be under your budget.

word

Craiglslist or eBay.

TimD
08-15-2006, 03:18 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/SZ-M-TREK-750-TOURING-COMMUTING-ROAD-LITE-OFFROAD-BIKE_W0QQitemZ260021052958QQihZ016QQcategoryZ98084 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With rack, note. I have one. I bought it new in 1995 for nearly $600 to pull my babies around on / with. Subsequently I couldn't bear to sell it. Fine lugged steel and bomb proof.

My oldest, who is 13 now, started riding it this summer. That was a trip watching him go down the driveway first time on! :banana:

TimD
08-15-2006, 03:20 PM
One other thing, change out the QR skewers for a set of these:

http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/8/56.htm?105

Ray
08-15-2006, 03:23 PM
My daughter is heading off to school next month also. She has a Jamis Aurora touring/all-rounder type bike that we bought her a couple of years ago and she never really grew anymore so it still fits. I'm sticking a rack, fenders, beefy tires, a mirror, and some blinky lights on it and shipping it out ahead of her. She's gonna be in the rainy northwest, so I don't know how much she'll use it. It's probably too nice a bike to send to a college campus, but since we already own it, its sort of like its free.

I think if you have to buy something you don't already have, used is a good way to go. And make sure it looks like crap - it'll be less likely to be stolen.

-Ray

Fixed
08-15-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm looking for a cheap bike to get around campus and maybe an occasional 50 mile ride.

H.

get around campus and 50 mile rides old road bike spray paint and add stickers make it ugly
get a chain and a
lock
lock seat on with a bike chain in a tube.. bolt on wheels i.m.h.o.
cheers