PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless rim tape with tubes

DavidC
04-08-2017, 10:29 AM
I have a new set of wheels that I'm considering making tubeless. But for now I'm going to just put tubes in there. A thought is to use No Tubes rim tape instead of Velox, thereby not wasting a rim strip on the interim tubed period. Process would be: (1) put the tubeless rim tape on all of the rim except the valve hole, and run tubed tires. (2) At a later date switch to tubeless and put a few-inch-long strip of tape covering the valve hole.

Does anybody know if this will work indefinitely? Will the rim tape negatively affect the tubed setup? Or will the tubed setup negatively affect the tape for when it's time to switch to tubeless? Should I just apply tape as normal, and push tube valve through tape as you would tubeless valve? So many questions...;)

Thanks for your thoughts.

bikinchris
04-08-2017, 10:55 AM
If the tire fits on a tubeless rim like most of them, you're going to want to use tubeless tape no matter what. If you don't, mounting a tire will be hell. That makes all of your other questions moot. Rim tape is not very expensive.

ColonelJLloyd
04-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Should I just apply tape as normal, and push tube valve through tape as you would tubeless valve?

Apply tubeless tape as normal, yes. There is no good reason not to use tubeless tape exclusively these days. You will likely find it easier to mount and change tires as well.

DavidC
04-08-2017, 10:58 AM
If the tire fits on a tubeless rim like most of them, you're going to want to use tubeless tape no matter what. If you don't, mounting a tire will be hell.

That's a good point.

Rim tape is not very expensive.

I know, but if I only use it for a few weeks that'll be frustrating!

oldpotatoe
04-08-2017, 12:02 PM
I have a new set of wheels that I'm considering making tubeless. But for now I'm going to just put tubes in there. A thought is to use No Tubes rim tape instead of Velox, thereby not wasting a rim strip on the interim tubed period. Process would be: (1) put the tubeless rim tape on all of the rim except the valve hole, and run tubed tires. (2) At a later date switch to tubeless and put a few-inch-long strip of tape covering the valve hole.

Does anybody know if this will work indefinitely? Will the rim tape negatively affect the tubed setup? Or will the tubed setup negatively affect the tape for when it's time to switch to tubeless? Should I just apply tape as normal, and push tube valve through tape as you would tubeless valve? So many questions...;)

Thanks for your thoughts.

First, 2 layers of tubeless tape when using tubes(1 will makes holes in tape)..overlap the valve hole, use a sharp somethin to make a hole, shove valve thru. When ya go tubeless, don't have to do anything extra.

dave thompson
04-08-2017, 12:33 PM
Down here in Baja Sur almost all the guys use the black Gorilla tape 2 layers thick for both tubed and tubeless. Every time I come down I bring as many rolls of it that I can easily carry.

owly
04-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Dumb question, but why would the 1st layer make holes in the tape?

Why isn't a well taped down single layer enough to seal the rim? Is the single layer not non-porous/airtight enough?

(new tubeless guy, here).

John H.
04-08-2017, 06:03 PM
I use Stans/HED/ENVE rim tape exclusively.
Have not used Velox in years.
If properly applied, the Stars tape lasts a long time.
Easier to get tires on too.

Cicli
04-08-2017, 06:05 PM

Why isn't a well taped down single layer enough to seal the rim? Is the single layer not non-porous/airtight enough?

One layer wont stand up to pressure needed for road tires. So e get away with it but, two layers to be sure. A hole in the tape causing the flat is a pain in the butt to deal with on the side of the road.

dustyrider
04-08-2017, 06:54 PM
This one you don't have to overthink. Double wrap your rim, pierce valve stem hole, I use a pocket knife, and stick tube in there. You're going to carry a spare tube to put in there if your tubeless system runs amuck! So you'll be fine setting up tubeless and running tubes. I have a couple of wheelset setup the exact same way.

oldpotatoe
04-09-2017, 05:28 AM

The pressure from the tube will puncture the tape. Why you use 2 layers with tubes..only one needed with tubeless. One layer for tubeless only.

ripvanrando
04-09-2017, 06:21 AM
To make the hole thru the two base layers, I put a to size phillips headed screwdriver into the flame and melt the hole.

I used two base layers all the time because an on the road flat repair of tubeless will often involve using a tube. Do not use one layer with tube, especially if you use latex tubes. Flat is assured.

Blue colored Scotch film strapping tape comes in huge rolls and works better than or as good as the repacked stuff. Much cheaper, too. I think the UPC code is ...... never mind, here is the link for similarly cheap fellow cyclists.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Film-Strapping-Tape-8896/dp/B00QVIBIMO

oldpotatoe
04-09-2017, 06:32 AM
To make the hole thru the two base layers, I put a to size phillips headed screwdriver into the flame and melt the hole.

I used two base layers all the time because an on the road flat repair of tubeless will often involve using a tube. Do not use one layer with tube, especially if you use latex tubes. Flat is assured.

Blue colored Scotch film strapping tape comes in huge rolls and works better than or as good as the repacked stuff. Much cheaper, too. I think the UPC code is ...... never mind, here is the link for similarly cheap fellow cyclists.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Film-Strapping-Tape-8896/dp/B00QVIBIMO

I do the same..use the Scotch film tape on all wheelbuilds..17mm, 24mm...whether it's tubeless or not..2 overlapping layers..use a sharp pointy thing to punch a wee hole. It solves all of the 'issues' with fatter or non sticky rim tape..creeping, thickness, etc.