PDA

View Full Version : Tire blew off rim

R3awak3n
04-08-2017, 09:35 AM
so weird. got up this morning and went to do some laps before work (have to work both days this weekend, with this damn weather :no:). My tires were at 40psi so I pumped them to about 90. New corsa open G, maybe has 60 miles.

Was going up a bridge here in ny and my front wheel starts woobling. Stop, look at it and the tire is off the rim, with the tube still properly inflated.

I just deflated it and put the tire back on the rim. Had my frame pump so pumped it back up and went on my ride. Now, this really spooked me, my ride was done pretty slowly because I kept thinking that was going to happen coming down a hill. Interesting enough, the first time I mounted that tire, I blew a tube (got caught between tire and rim I am pretty sure).

What gives? Anyone had this happen? Improper installation or faulty tire?

Tony
04-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Stans Alpha 340 rim?

R3awak3n
04-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Stans Alpha 340 rim?

its a h plus son archtype. Have had many tires on it, never happened before.

estilley
04-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Sort of related: I had a dream last night that my front tire just disappeared and then the rim broke in half.

Bike dreams...

moobikes
04-08-2017, 10:07 AM
It's possible the tire's bead has a defect. Or the rim's bead has a defect. I would definitely not use that wheel until you can inspect both tire and rim carefully.

My experience with handmade "open tubulars" is that they need to be massaged into place, carefully making sure the bead engages with the rim fully all the way around. The protrusion at the tire bead is often not as pronounced as on machined made tires and need some use/ seasoning for the tire to conform to the rim.

And so it's also possible it was a bad installation. Maybe one section of the tire did not go deep enough into the rim to engage the rim properly and had just enough engagement only to release itself when the pressure went down to 40psi.

Dead Man
04-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Stans Alpha 340 rim?

Why do you ask?

I've got some Pave open tubs on a set of Alpha 340s right now... was a huge pain in the ass to get them mounted, and they made a lot of weird settling noises when I pumped 'em up

Tony
04-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Why do you ask?

I've got some Pave open tubs on a set of Alpha 340s right now... was a huge pain in the ass to get them mounted, and they made a lot of weird settling noises when I pumped 'em up

Some tires I've installed on the Stans 340s have blown off while pumping, including a corsa open G.

R3awak3n
04-08-2017, 10:20 AM
It's possible the tire's bead has a defect. Or the rim's bead has a defect. I would definitely not use that wheel until you can inspect both tire and rim carefully.

My experience with handmade "open tubulars" is that they need to be massaged into place, carefully making sure the bead engages with the rim fully all the way around. The protrusion at the tire bead is often not as pronounced as on machined made tires and need some use/ seasoning for the tire to conform to the rim.

And so it's also possible it was a bad installation. Maybe one section of the tire did not go deep enough into the rim to engage the rim properly and had just enough engagement only to release itself when the pressure went down to 40psi.

I am going to investigate when I get home. I rode for about an hour after that without any problems. Before this happened I also had ridden without any problems.

I am a bit spooked to ride it and will inspect the bead but really how will I know its no good? I might switch this tire to the back because I would rather this happen in the back than in the front that is for sure.

Don't think its the rim as I never had problems before and have ran many tires on it. The tire went in very easy too, no tool at all, I just put it by hand no problems.

Tickdoc
04-08-2017, 10:45 AM
had he same prob with veloflex on enve carbon rims. I have to watch close to ensure he bead is set well before inflation.

In a similar vein, we were about to leave on a group ride Wednesday night, when a buddy rolled up with his gravel bike wearing a brand spankin new set of challenge strands biancas. We were commenting on how sharp they were when kablamo! His tube popped like a gun went off.

AngryScientist
04-08-2017, 10:45 AM
check to make sure that whatever rim tape you're using has not shifted off center and making a little more friction at the rim bead/ tire bead interface area. i find sometimes that you have to pump these tires up to a high pressure to get them to seat down "home" on the bead and then you can drop pressure.

John H.
04-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Latex tube?

macaroon
04-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Stans Alpha 340 rim?

Yeh. I've only had this issue with those rims. Did not rate them at all.

Ken Robb
04-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Was there any lube used to mount the tire? Could any of that and/or talcum powder have been left on part of the rim?

R3awak3n
04-08-2017, 11:09 AM
There was no talcum powder to mount the tire, the tire went in pretty easy.

No rim strips on the rim, I am using velo plugs on that guy.

Normal tube, no latex.

oldpotatoe
04-08-2017, 12:04 PM
its a h plus son archtype. Have had many tires on it, never happened before.

Installation error..IMHO

ColonelJLloyd
04-08-2017, 12:18 PM
Yeah, sounds like the tire wasn't centered (out of round). Sometimes with supple, folding tires you need to pump a little and then work the tire with your hands, pump a little more, etc.

sales guy
04-08-2017, 12:49 PM
I've had Vittoria, Ritchey(they had one made by Vittoria) and VeloFlex both blow off. Whether while pumping them up or oddly while riding. I've always found them to be SUPER loose on the rims. Not needing tools.

Dead Man
04-08-2017, 01:08 PM
I did notice that my rear was WAY out of round right after mounting.. like, alarmingly so.. but it straightened itself out after the first test roll.

I did use latex tubes, on mine.

Still don't understand what was so difficult about getting those tires on the rim.. but it sure was hard to get the last bit of bead over the lip, and I'm NOT a weak-armed/handed guy.

-dustin
04-08-2017, 01:37 PM
If you blew a tube the first go-around, my bet is that the bead is damaged.

R3awak3n
04-08-2017, 01:52 PM
If you blew a tube the first go-around, my bet is that the bead is damaged.

well, I think the tube got caught btw the rim and the rim and I inflated it till it popped. Not sure how that means the bead is damaged

-dustin
04-08-2017, 01:56 PM
well, I think the tube got caught btw the rim and the rim and I inflated it till it popped. Not sure how that means the bead is damaged
Beads can be damaged by that.

R3awak3n
04-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Beads can be damaged by that.

oh so you think that after what I did I damaged the bead. I see. I will look at it tonight.

-dustin
04-08-2017, 02:18 PM
oh so you think that after what I did I damaged the bead. I see. I will look at it tonight.
Might not be obvious. Use your fingers...feel for any kinks or abnormalities.

zzy
04-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Bead sounds a bit loose on the rim. Nothing to worry about; when you pump the tire check that it is perfectly round when you spin in and check the bead seating. Then again I've heard of a lot of first hand issues with those new vittorias. Tho do check your rim bead if it ever happens again.

R3awak3n
04-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Bead sounds a bit loose on the rim. Nothing to worry about; when you pump the tire check that it is perfectly round when you spin in and check the bead seating. Then again I've heard of a lot of first hand issues with those new vittorias. Tho do check your rim bead if it ever happens again.

hoping it does not happen again :D

palincss
04-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Interesting enough, the first time I mounted that tire, I blew a tube (got caught between tire and rim I am pretty sure).

And you probably did it again this time, too.

R3awak3n
04-08-2017, 09:31 PM
And you probably did it again this time, too.

its very possible. I just took the tire off and everything seems fine. Nothing out of normal. Put the tire back on very carefully, checking the tube at all times, make sure it was not trapped between tire and rim (I had done this last time but then tube did deflate to 40psi so could have gotten under the tire?)

I have had tires that are easy to put on the rim before and this never happened to them. Its super easy to go in the rim, no tools nothing but the first time I installed it it wasnt as easy so this seems normal.

Anyways, going to ride it tomorrow, hope it won't happen again. :eek:

edit - switched the tire to the back because rather the back blow off the rim than the front. Also found out the one that blew up as I pumped was actually the other tire so nevermind about this happening on the same tire. Weird stuff.

Polyglot
04-08-2017, 10:45 PM
9 times out of 10 this is an installation error.

Fatty
04-09-2017, 07:34 AM
The tire went in very easy too, no tool at all, I just put it by hand no problems.

Easy come , easy go.

kingpin75s
04-09-2017, 08:49 AM
9 times out of 10 this is an installation error.

+1

This happened to me one time. Not sure how it happened but I would be inclined to agree with the above. Deflated, reseated, inflated and never an issue again. My setup was a PR on HED C2. No issues before or since.