PDA

View Full Version : OT, kinda - leather care

vqdriver
04-07-2017, 03:11 PM
so i'm not an aficionado of leather goods and really have no clue as to the different cuts or types, nor do i have much interest. but i do want to keep this stuff for a while so i'm willing to do the maintenance.

so the simple question really is if leather conditioners and lotions will work for all leathers? so if i bought some expensive conditioner for shoes, will it work on a brooks saddle, horse saddle, leather football, lounge chair, etc.....??

fuzzalow
04-07-2017, 04:44 PM
You probably didn't get responses because the question is asking too much without focus. Leather covers a lotta ground, lotsa different uses.

Bickmore Bick 4 leather conditioner. Dunno if its the best 'cos I have no idea what you wanna use it on and for what purpose. But using it won't do harm, mostly.

Tickdoc
04-07-2017, 04:47 PM
so i'm not an aficionado of leather goods and really have no clue as to the different cuts or types, nor do i have much interest. but i do want to keep this stuff for a while so i'm willing to do the maintenance.

so the simple question really is if leather conditioners and lotions will work for all leathers? so if i bought some expensive conditioner for shoes, will it work on a brooks saddle, horse saddle, leather football, lounge chair, etc.....??

I'm no expert, but I have had great luck with mink oil. I have some berthoud saddle oil, but it is light and dries fast. When I use mink oil it leaves a lovely sheen on saddles shoes, and handlebar leather.

As with most leather conditioners, test first.

Cicli
04-07-2017, 04:52 PM
I use Obenaufs on all my finished leather goods.

fuzzalow
04-07-2017, 04:53 PM
I'm no expert, but I have had great luck with mink oil. I have some berthoud saddle oil, but it is light and dries fast. When I use mink oil it leaves a lovely sheen on saddles shoes, and handlebar leather.

As with most leather conditioners, test first.

Mink oil darkens color.

Usually permenantly. Caution in using it.

You last sentence in your post should have come first in reply to the OP. Or my first sentence here should have come first. You recommend something that you don't want a rookie to slather over something without knowing first what he's in for.

fuzzalow
04-07-2017, 05:01 PM

Obenaufs is a water proofing treatment. It changes leather color too. Some leathers don't absorb it or respond well to the beeswax base in Obenaufs so it can leave some leathers feeling greasy.

The OP will not have much interest in this topic until the first time he ruins something with stuff that doesn't work in combination with what he's got. At one point or another, we've all done it and been there.

So take an interest if you wanna take care of what you have.

choke
04-07-2017, 05:04 PM
so the simple question really is if leather conditioners and lotions will work for all leathers? so if i bought some expensive conditioner for shoes, will it work on a brooks saddle, horse saddle, leather football, lounge chair, etc.....??Generally speaking....yes. There are two main tanning processes used, chrome tanning and vegetable tanning. To keep the leather in the absolute best condition it would be best to use a conditioner which was specifically designed for the process used. In the real world it's probably not noticeable....unless you want the item to last for centuries rather than just your lifetime.

My personal preference is Montana Pitch Blend (https://www.montanapitchblend.com/).

vqdriver
04-07-2017, 05:47 PM
No specific use. I just figure leather is skin so would need lotion to prevent it from drying out, much like our own skin. Really just curious if leather treatments are somewhat universal for that purpose.

Peter P.
04-07-2017, 07:12 PM
I had a coworker who was a chemical engineer. He said mink oil was bad for leather because it breaks down the leather. Sure, it makes it soft, but that's part of the breakdown.

Definitely do more research on the specific leather item you're interested in and choose an appropriate leather treatment. Perhaps ask the product manufacturer.

spinarelli
04-07-2017, 08:37 PM
when the little can of brooks proofide ran out I got some lexol conditioner. It seems to do the job. In the past Ive also used Dubbin.

mcfarton
04-07-2017, 08:47 PM
I have a brooks b17 saddle and I am in the painful process of breaking it in. Is the a treatment that can make it shorter or am I in for the long haul?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

parco
04-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Lanolin will help keep the leather from drying out and keep it supple.

spinarelli
04-07-2017, 10:55 PM
http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2008/2/25/back-in-the-brooks-saddle-again.html

he has an interesting technique to soften the leather. be careful not to get it too soft to soon as that will turn your saddle into a hammock.

I have a brooks b17 saddle and I am in the painful process of breaking it in. Is the a treatment that can make it shorter or am I in for the long haul?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ripvanrando
04-08-2017, 05:24 AM
I have many pairs of horse leather shoes that are 15-20 years old. Damp cloth to clean. Brush. Rarely polish. I do condition the leather seats in my older car using leatherique

http://www.leatherique.com/

I broke a saddle in on a Friday once and rode 300 Km the next day using this technique.

http://pactour.blogspot.com/2011/01/breaking-in-leather-saddle.html

Once I get a saddle good, I like to try to waterproof the underside using bees wax although not entirely effective. YMMV but loosening up the bolt and letting the saddle dry naturally can help after an especially wet ride. Or use mudguards.

alancw3
04-08-2017, 05:33 AM
i've been using saddle soap for the past 60 years on everything from baseball gloves, brooks saddles, briefcases, wife's handbags and topsiders to leather car seats. seems to clean and refresh the leather. also very inexpensive. been around forever. i think originally for riding saddles.

texbike
04-08-2017, 07:45 AM

I'm an Obenaufs fan as well. I used their leather oil to recondition the dry seats on a Sprite and a 911. They now both look great.

Obenaufs is a water proofing treatment. It changes leather color too. Some leathers don't absorb it or respond well to the beeswax base in Obenaufs so it can leave some leathers feeling greasy.

You must be referring to Obenauf's LP. It is beeswax-based. I've used it on a WWII-era leather jacket and a pair of shoes. It worked great for those applications.

Texbike

seaswood
04-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Interesting notes from Brooks, I was interested as I have two.

"The best way to break in your new saddle is to ride it frequently. Like a new pair of quality leather boots, a leather saddle may be uncomfortable for some at the outset; but like a good pair of boots, once broken in, they will, with proper care, provide the owner with decades of use.

Proofide is a tried and trusted product, the ingredients of which are known to Brooks. This is the only dressing, therefore, that we can endorse for use on a Brooks leather product. The use of any other product is frowned upon and will jeopardize your warranty rights.
Neat’s-foot oil, in particular, is known to have serious harmful effects on a Brooks saddle, weakening the inner fibres of the leather to the point where the leather is no longer strong enough to support the weight of a rider; it will also destroy the sheen finish of the leather."
Brooks. England.

jimbolina
04-08-2017, 09:57 AM
I've used olive oil on all my leather products for years. Saddles, shoes, belts, etc. No problems and always works like a charm. No telltale odor either.

jemoryl
04-08-2017, 11:33 AM
For a Brooks saddle I would probably stick with their Proofide. For smooth leather in general, I have a jar of Effax Leather Balm, from Germany, which works great on leather car seats, etc. It was purchased years ago in a saddle (horse) shop, and wasn't too expensive, $12 for a 500 ml jar. It appears to be a wax based substance that melts around body temperature, and the label states that it contains lanolin and avocado oil. Rub it around on a warm day and it mostly gets absorbed in a couple hours, wipe off any excess.

AlanKHG
04-08-2017, 03:41 PM

As hinted above, the main downside to Obenauf's is that it can darken leather and significantly dull any color depth and variation, which is a bit unfortunate on, say, a honey Brooks or a nice pair of boots.

Lexol is cheap for a jug and works great on saddles and boots, so long as they aren't getting constantly and totally soaked. Obenauf's may be preferred for a Brooks on a commuter bike that gets parked outside in the rain, or a forest worker's boots.

jmoore
04-09-2017, 12:01 PM
I am a LeatherMilk dealer and their #2 conditioner works really well. Very light darkening on the tan Cuero gloves. Nothing serious. It is made with all natural ingredients in Ft Worth. Obviously I am a bit biased by what I sell, but it is high quality stuff. No greasy residue at all. It just replenishes natural oils in the leather.

It would work well to keep your saddle hydrated and in good shape. I can sell you a 2oz bottle, which would work for several applications, or you can buy direct from LeatherMilk in larger quantities.

They have several other formulations with stuff like UV protectors and things of that nature. Worth checking out.

http://www.leathermilk.com

dpascal
04-09-2017, 12:07 PM

Almond oil works best for me! What is good for a woman's belly after giving birth should be more than enough for a leather seat ...

jmoore
04-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Almond oil works best for me! What is good for a woman's belly after giving birth should be more than enough for a leather seat ...

Aside from the fact that almond or olive oil can go rancid, it just might work