PDA

View Full Version : Apple watch for cycling?

stephenmarklay
04-07-2017, 11:43 AM
I have contemplated getting this watch and wondered about features for cycling. Is anyone running with one?

crankles
04-07-2017, 11:56 AM
I run one...but the HR is not accurate and it didn't improve much in the Gen 2 rev...at least not compared to my Garmin/Suunto HR straps.
I wear it simply as a remote display for my phone. I bit overkill, but it has come in handy on rides more than once.

MerckxMad
04-07-2017, 01:32 PM
I like mine for riding. I like the activity tracker, the fact that I can quickly scan messages, weather and see phone callers without fumbling for my phone. I find the HRM to be accurate.

AlanKHG
04-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Garmin makes an HR watch that will transmit the HR to a cycling Garmin unit, which is pretty useful. It also has some weather/notifications features. I use those relatively rarely, personally.

It doesn't have a full color screen so the battery lasts a week, too, and it's much cheaper.

djg21
04-07-2017, 01:53 PM
I have contemplated getting this watch and wondered about features for cycling. Is anyone running with one?

I just got one for daily wear. I don't ride with a watch. I don't like having anything on my wrist and I use a Garmin Edge 1000, which connects to my iPhone to display alerts for incoming messages, calls, and weather.

The Apple Watch is very cool. I like it because I can bury my iPhone in a pocket and still be alerted to work email and messages. I turn off the watch's sounds and it vibrates to alert me to new messages. I also use AirPods, and can contol my music selections and volume from the watch. Using Siri through the watch also has proven handy.

I'm not crazy about the exercise stuff. I'm not sold on the wrist-based HR monitor, although it has proven fairly accurate. I really don't care too much about monitoring my steps, or how long I've stood over the course of the day, or about recommendations that I breathed and relax, etc. I'm not a runner, so I can't tell you about running features. I don't know if I'd get one specifically for cycling, even if I didn't already use a Garmin already.

It does pair with an iPhone app that communicates with my Valentine One radar detector. It is pretty cool to get alerts through the watch, so I can keep the volume of the detector muted.

JAGI410
04-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Yesterday mine totally pissed me off. I have the original one, purchased in November of 2015. I really don't use it for cycling as much as I thought I would when I bought it. I've been considering upgrading my garmin, but wanted to test the Strava watch app first. Yesterday I started a MTB ride on an 8 mile loop. First lap counter clockwise. Second lap clockwise. When I finished the ride, the Strava app only showed 8 miles instead of 16. It only recorded the first lap! Plus the Strava app is really hard to see in the bright sun, I couldn't check it during the ride without stopping. The heart rate was included with the Strava upload though which is pretty cool. I think I still prefer the Garmin for ease of visibility.

djg21
04-07-2017, 02:14 PM
FYI, last week Target had the Series 1 Apple Watch on sale for $130. The Series 1 isn't water resistant, so you'll need a water resistant case if you are planning to use it for riding.

So you know, the straps on the Apple Watches are easily removable and designed to be changed quickly. I have a Catalyst water resistant case and band I use when necessary, and I just ordered a nice leather band and thin protective case to use when I don't need the protection of the bulkier Catalyst case.

I got the less expensive aluminum AW because these won't be lifetime watches and if figured I'd want to upgrade the thing as technology advances.

djg21
04-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Just came across this review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/02/apple-watch-review.html