PDA

View Full Version : question re: effetto mariposa tape

Dr Luxurious
04-07-2017, 08:53 AM
it comes off the rim clean but is it on the tire for good?

if it's permanently stuck to the tire then it seems like you won't be able to reuse it e.g. when switching between dry/wet cross tires...

cinco
04-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Didn't occur to me that that might be an issue. Guess I will be finding out.

Vamoots58
04-07-2017, 11:45 AM
was definitely under the impression it is a single use product. Probably wouldn't trust it to re-use, even if I was able to get it off the tire. Been very happy with it overall!

04-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Don't reuse it. The adhesive reacts under pressure and it's a one-way reaction. It won't adhere properly next time anyway. You can leave it on the tire and put a new tape over it, but I've had slightly mixed results with that. Your best approach is to put the tire on and leave it on until you've killed the tire.

You can, however, use regular rim cement (Mastik One) to glue the tire onto a new rim.

Dr Luxurious
04-08-2017, 03:28 PM
...put the tire on and leave it on until you've killed the tire.

You can, however, use regular rim cement (Mastik One) to glue the tire onto a new rim.

yeah, I figured that was the case; fine for road & track.

didn't think of remounting with glue. thanks.

iPaul
04-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Ok I've decided to use the tape and it is working very well. However how will the scenario of a flat play out? Try orange seal first, if no go try to peal tire off tape? Can that be done so my spare can get me home? If not tire pull off rim, but now spare rides on s clean rim.
This is the part where I'm holding reservations of giving up the glue.

04-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Ok I've decided to use the tape and it is working very well. However how will the scenario of a flat play out? Try orange seal first, if no go try to peal tire off tape? Can that be done so my spare can get me home? If not tire pull off rim, but now spare rides on s clean rim.
This is the part where I'm holding reservations of giving up the glue.

The tape may stay on the rim or come off with the flat tire. Usually I find it comes off with the tire. If you do have a flat, pull the tire off. The spare should have had a coat of rim cement applied before it went under your saddle. That rim cement won't make a permanent joint but will make the spare sticky enough that it won't slide along the rim or roll off easily. Give a spare a little extra pressure to help hold it on. And if you feel it going soft, get off it quickly because it isn't glued on well and won't hold like the original tire would.

If you're where you'll be really out in the sticks or where you need to have full functionality (like in a long gravel race or fondo), bring an extra single piece of tape. The stuff reacts when it goes under pressure, but note that the full glue joint takes some time (typically overnight) and a fresh tape joint will be like a fresh uncured rim cement job. The safest way to handle that eventuality is to have a fresh solid traditional rim cement job on the wheel, and a solid fresh glue job on the spare tire. Then you have the best hope of the tire sticking really well through hairpin descents on gravel.

iPaul
04-09-2017, 04:01 AM
Thanks. My goal will be just getting home and not setting speed records. Glue is always on my spare but thinking tossing a tube in my bag just to freshen things up.
Overall I have been really pleased how this tape is holding and how easy it was to apply.

04-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Thanks. My goal will be just getting home and not setting speed records. Glue is always on my spare but thinking tossing a tube in my bag just to freshen things up.
Overall I have been really pleased how this tape is holding and how easy it was to apply.

Glue on the road isn't going to be particularly safe. Until it sets, it's more slippery than helpful. Just put a thin coat on the spare tire and keep it wrapped and clean. You'll be fine.