PDA

View Full Version : DA9000 vs. eTap reach

Raffy
04-07-2017, 08:11 AM
So I won an eTap auction "accidentally" :)

Anyway, any opinions on lever/hood reach on the eTap/Red levers as compared to DA9000 (and I assume Ultegra and 105)? I'm assuming they are close enough to not worry about changing bars but hate to just assume.

JasonF
04-07-2017, 08:14 AM
The great thing about eTap over Campy (not that you asked) is that the reach is adjustable with a simple turn of a hex bolt. IIRC, the reach goes from "a little farther out from Campy levers" to "so close to the bars so brake modulation suffers." Due to the range of adjustment available, anyone should be able to find a good reach without having to change bars.

oldpotatoe
04-07-2017, 08:21 AM
The great thing about eTap over Campy (not that you asked) is that the reach is adjustable with a simple turn of a hex bolt. IIRC, the reach goes from "a little farther out from Campy levers" to "so close to the bars so brake modulation suffers." Due to the range of adjustment available, anyone should be able to find a good reach without having to change bars.

9000 levers
Even last year's adjustable reach has been improved. There's still a plastic set screw hidden beneath the hoods but now shortening the reach doesn't create an ugly gap at the front of the lever.

ergott
04-07-2017, 08:29 AM
He's talking about hood length, not lever reach from the drops.

The etap is longer than mechanical Sram. I think the reach is on par with my Shimano 7850 (hydraulic Di2) so I think it's the same or close to Shimano.

kgreene10
04-07-2017, 08:29 AM
I asked the forum about hood length across the two groups and David Kirk kindly posted photos. I'm on my phone and searching prior posts is cumbersome, but I'm sure you can find it easily.

Raffy
04-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Thanks, I did find that thread. Interesting how the overall length of DA is noticeably longer but the actual reach to where you put your hands on the hoods is close.

benb
04-07-2017, 10:48 AM
You'll probably just need to fiddle around with it to see what you like.. on top of slight differences in length shape differences may also change how you want it adjusted.

SpeedyChix
04-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Mechanical Ultegra and Dura-Ace, Di2 hydro Ultegra and eTap are all pretty much the same. The exception is Shiamano mechanical hydro. The hoods are nearly 1cn longer. Enough to require a stem or bar change.

Note: All ref to 11-spd Shimano

sparky33
04-07-2017, 12:58 PM
I asked the forum about hood length across the two groups and David Kirk kindly posted photos. I'm on my phone and searching prior posts is cumbersome, but I'm sure you can find it easily.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2113492&postcount=24