PDA

View Full Version : OT: Napa Valley Restaurants

Ozz
08-15-2006, 08:11 AM
My wife and I are heading to Napa in October for our 10 year anniversary...kids are staying with grandparents! :banana:

Anyway, we are looking for some more restaurants for dinner....

I thought that you all, (well, most of you ;) ) being of impeccable taste and style might have some recommendations for us.

So far we have decided on Bouchon, Mustards, Bistro Don Giovanni, and Terra. We have ruled out French Laundry and La Toque (pricey/stuffy), and been to Greystone and Bistro Jeanty previously and was umimpressed.

Opinions are welcome!

Thanks.

Zard
08-15-2006, 08:39 AM
That's a good list. Bouchon is really nice, especially because you can usually walk in and get a place at the bar without a reservation. "Redd" in Yountville is supposedly the hot new place. Martini House in St. Helena is good especially if it is a nice evening and you can eat outside.

French Laundry and La Toque. They are expensive but never found either to be "stuffy." La Toque is a much more relaxed atmosphere and the wine pairing option is excellent.Getting a reservation at French Laundry is very difficult / impossible. October is a busy time with lots of visitors to Napa and Sonoma. Book your reservations early. Enjoy!

keno
08-15-2006, 12:29 PM
but Tre Vigne, in St. Helena was very good. Had dungeness crab that was excellent. http://community.iexplore.com/planning/journalEntryDining.asp?JournalID=44637&EntryID=26652&n=Tre+Vigne

keno

FlaRider
08-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Redd's in Yountville in amazing. I had lunch there while visiting the Valley in February.

Ken Robb
08-15-2006, 01:16 PM
If you like bubbly Chandon is good.. Lovely setting, good food, reasonable prices and they serve any of their wines in the restaurant at retail store prices. This info is a couple of years old so maybe a quick call to confirm would be wise.

dgauthier
08-15-2006, 01:41 PM
The restaurant at Auberge du Soliel was terrific, IIRC. Pricey but worth it.

I second Terra, Mustards and Tre Vigne, which should always be included on a "must do" list.

wdlewis
08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
But, get reservations EARLY!!!!

bcm119
08-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Just adding my typical beer geek comment here... The ideal end to a day of sniffing, swirling, gurgling, and spitting wine is quaffing a few fresh beers, atmo. If you find yourself anywhere near Santa Rosa, don't miss the beer at Russian River Brewing, its some of the best in the world... and Bear Republic in healdsburg isn't too shabby either. Sonoma/Marin is a hotbed of good beer. :beer:

bshell
08-15-2006, 06:22 PM
add Anderson Valley to that beer hotbed!

Bill Bove
08-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I get dressed up to go to Denny's :o

jeh
08-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Redd, Martini House, Terra, Domaine Chandon, Angele, Pilar, Aubere.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of these. I bet there are some good taco trucks lurking about too!

-j

BumbleBeeDave
08-16-2006, 09:24 PM
. . . was always pretty good to me. Probably still would be. In fact, I bet they still have a couple of those very same pies sitting in the case . . . ;)

(Bill, you'd like it. It's a lot like Denny's :beer: )

BBD

Jack Brunk
08-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Taylors in St. Helena. Old style drive inn that's a nice change of pace. It's across the street from V. Sattui Winery. Try their Ahi burger and fries with a coconut shake. It's killer. Brix in Rutherford is also very good along with the Rutherford Grill.

Jack