PDA

View Full Version : OT: Homemade smoker

zmudshark
04-06-2017, 12:45 PM
This was a Goodwill find by my wife, we have $25 into it. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Base:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x40oCC_JKcGOw-BXB58TN6uWncgJOkiG5Q83Kt1Q94ap_JoHRbOsFCGiWcG6Zapq GkA-yisgmFeP0UxZltsWjPOAUv7So-hH41tGA=w600-h800
Smoker:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Gf0L7LyTbYUst7Qk4aqRjsqeHhX6JYCgL1Z8HuUjNJ3YN6tf6r b4N6nTb5tfdZgBYgoKbLEvKK1XHs9SizOImm5A7-VMTsWFuahU2A=w600-h800

Inside:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/V-9R8pMlH6SB1VF3sgCufbwIBIX2Ru_IyD1jSEr-jH3oLKF-wqrR9an9BB6sDM9qY1__kaq8KRkxAzXn4RDe7a7NnfxY4g403h Sckg=w600-h800

It is pretty well made, now to see how it works!

If anyone has seen anything like this and has comments, please jump right in!

gdw
04-06-2017, 02:14 PM
I haven't seen one like that but it looks like a sound design and good investment. Google homemade or diy smoker and see what comes up. You can probably find similar designs and advice on how to use it.

zmudshark
04-06-2017, 02:29 PM
I Googled that first thing, couldn't come up with anything that looks like this. My only concern is airflow. There is only one intake. The vents on the Weber lid are fixed pretty much shut. Both chimneys have spring loaded dampers, so that should help. I'm gonna look for a small brisket at Costco and give it a try soon. The wood box is what I need to figure out.

Edit: I was hoping is was a Smokenator gizmo when my wife sent the pictures, then I would be all set. Looking at their page, I think I have an idea what to try :)

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/smokenator_tips.html

ColonelJLloyd
04-06-2017, 02:45 PM
It's better than many of the DIY kettle smoker designs I've seen.

Looks like your coals are kept away from the meat via that perforated vertical piece. Intake from the short stack out of that side feeds the coals and the tall stack pulls the smoke from the coals over the meat and out.

Looks like it might require a decent amount of attention to keep the temps low enough but consistent, but otherwise pretty sound. You'll know pretty quick. I don't think the stand is anything more than a stand.

Ken C
04-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Here is my mini WSM. No problem fitting two butts in it. Very efficient on charcoal and easy to keep at 225.

zmudshark
04-06-2017, 03:14 PM
It's better than many of the DIY kettle smoker designs I've seen.

Looks like your coals are kept away from the meat via that perforated vertical piece. Intake from the short stack out of that side feeds the coals and the tall stack pulls the smoke from the coals over the meat and out.

Looks like it might require a decent amount of attention to keep the temps low enough but consistent, but otherwise pretty sound. You'll know pretty quick. I don't think the stand is anything more than a stand.Yes, the stand is just a stand. I'm not sure if the fuel bin is large enough.

I think I'll go start a fire and check it out before actually cooking.

The chimney's are well made, very heavy duty and serve as a handles.

EightySixer
04-06-2017, 03:24 PM
That looks awesome! Report back how it works please.

simplemind
04-06-2017, 04:33 PM
Here is my mini WSM. No problem fitting two butts in it. Very efficient on charcoal and easy to keep at 225.

That looks interesting...what is it? Assume DYI, but looks like pro DYI. ;)

ColonelJLloyd
04-06-2017, 04:48 PM
Looks to be a marriage of a stock pot and a Weber Smokey Joe.

Ken C
04-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Looks to be a marriage of a stock pot and a Weber Smokey Joe.

Yes it is a Smokey Joe and a tamale steamer pot that happens to fit perfectly. Just google Mini WSM and there are hundreds of examples. I think there are two tamale pots that work.

You just cut a hole in the bottom of the tamale pot, add stainless steel hardware to hold the grill grate (I added a second smokey joe grate) and find something to use as a heat diffuser. I used a pie pan that sits on either the bottom grate or on three long bolts when using two grates.

Webber now sells a 14.5 version of the of the WSM so there is not much reason go this route unless you want something fun to do.

zmudshark
04-06-2017, 07:04 PM
3 hours in, and staying between 225*-250*. Using lump. I added a handful at 2 hours.

zmudshark
04-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Great success! It held temp very well. I'm going to see about making the fire box a bit bigger, it seems better suited to briquettes than lump.

Hoping I can find a nice, smallish brisket tomorrow and smoke it this weekend.

Pictures will be had (if I don't screw up).

ColonelJLloyd
04-06-2017, 09:41 PM
:beer: