PDA

View Full Version : How to remove and install new H2O water bottle pop rivet?

54ny77
04-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Got a couple of bottle bosses on an aluminum frame that got overly manhandled by TSA's finest some time back. Dumb f'ers. One is sorta ok, one is def. not ok. I've been using a high tech workaround for a long time on the one that's not ok: a crapload of Gorilla Glue in & around the rivet. No joke, it's held quite well. :D

Now that the 2+ year old blob is breaking away, pun intended, I'd like to get things done proper (in lieu of scraping away the glue and setting in a nice new fresh blob). How do I remove and install a new bottle boss? It's a thin-walled aluminum frame, for reference, so I'd prefer to not wreak havoc on it.

Cicli
04-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Use a aluminum nutsert. Carefully remove the old one with a drill or dremel and install a new insert. Very easy to do if you have the insert.

Cicli
04-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Install with a bolt, nut and washer.

Gummee
04-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Install with a bolt, nut and washer.

or you can buy the tool.

...or you can try and bribe your favorite LBS wrench with beer. You know... Your LBS that probably that tool

M

54ny77
04-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Thanks folks. I'll take to an LBS and see if they have that kind of gear.

My fear is accidentally dropping the existing rivet into the downtube while trying to remove. Nightmare!

SpokeValley
04-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Thanks folks. I'll take to an LBS and see if they have that kind of gear.

My fear is accidentally dropping the existing rivet into the downtube while trying to remove. Nightmare!

Maybe just a bad dream and definitely a bit more work. ;)

vqdriver
04-06-2017, 12:17 PM
are they rivnuts? if so, your lbs can do it without too much issue.

04-06-2017, 12:31 PM
I've had to use a nut and bolt to tighten up a rivnut, but the rivnut pliers are safer. Note that there are different rivnut designs and each one comes in different sizes. You may need to size up slightly if the hole has been enlarged by what's already happened to it. It helps to find a shop or frame builder who does a lot of them and really has all the bits and the right pliers.