PDA

View Full Version : Homework.

oldpotatoe
04-06-2017, 08:59 AM
'Sunday' prep..

I think everybody needs to do their homework and watch this before this Sunday:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtasQn6esEI

Awesome first scene!!

rePhil
04-06-2017, 09:35 AM
Yea, that first scene never gets old. Watching it is a yearly ritual for me.

colker
04-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Film will be reissued!!
Btw... it´s a great filmmaker w/ history outside sports.

http://rouleur.cc/editorial/a-sunday-in-hell/?mc_cid=52b72b38a0&mc_eid=6b11b15475

Next scene is anthological: De Vlaeminck and Merckxx arriving at the site of the race on their own personal cars.
I can watch that film a hundred times.

commonguy001
04-06-2017, 09:52 AM
Great reminder!
I've got a DVD copy I'll need to watch on Saturday.

AngryScientist
04-06-2017, 09:54 AM
awesome flick

rwsaunders
04-06-2017, 10:03 AM
I flipped open the iPad last night, plugged in the headphones and traveled back in time again. A Sunday in Hell never disappoints.

thwart
04-06-2017, 10:33 AM
... better tune that bike well, here it is leading the race...

https://rouleur.cc/editorial/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PRESSESPORTS_2009558_cycl-18.jpg

AngryScientist
04-06-2017, 10:46 AM
by the way - where do i tune in this weekend to watch?

bluesea
04-06-2017, 11:01 AM
De Vlaeminck pulling the winner to the finish in that race, is like so many races this year for Sagan.

bthornt
04-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Really like the 70s fashions, hairstyles, sideburns, and of course the music is something else.

crankles
04-06-2017, 11:11 AM
I'm off to go shave my legs with a cordless triple!

OperaLover
04-06-2017, 12:23 PM
1976. I was 14 years old and got my first road bike. A used Itlalvega (with Simplex ders. Unversal centerpulls and a cotterd crank). Man I lusted for a Campy equipped road racer. Watching made me feel 14 again!

colker
04-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Really like the 70s fashions, hairstyles, sideburns, and of course the music is something else.

You forgot the cars.:hello:

Tickdoc
04-06-2017, 12:46 PM
always surprises me to see the brakes reversed on that...would drive me crazy.

I know some of you set yours up that way...Aussies in particular, but I'm curious who here rides left brake rear regularly, and even more curious who has switched and or tried both?

Awsome flik, BTW and thanks for the link old spudster.

choke
04-06-2017, 02:17 PM
That's a great movie....I have the DVD.

I know some of you set yours up that way...Aussies in particular, but I'm curious who here rides left brake rear regularly, and even more curious who has switched and or tried both?There are a number of us here who run our brakes that way.....it's come up before. I think most of us are also motorcycle riders, that was the reason I set mine up that way. IMO and for consistency it only makes sense to have the front brake operated by the right hand for but others have said that they don't have a problem with them being different. I find it really strange to get on a bike where they aren't set that way.

Tickdoc
04-06-2017, 02:46 PM
That's a great movie....I have the DVD.

There are a number of us here who run our brakes that way.....it's come up before. I think most of us are also motorcycle riders, that was the reason I set mine up that way. IMO and for consistency it only makes sense to have the front brake operated by the right hand for but others have said that they don't have a problem with them being different. I find it really strange to get on a bike where they aren't set that way.

I've wondered if that has anything to do with why I can't ride a motorcycle worth a crap. I have always wanted one, but feel so unsafe, unstable, unsure on them. Maybe I'm just too old to learn a new way....and decided I should just stick with the bicycle.

Maybe I can get a motorcycle and have them set it up bicycle style:)

(sorry for the thread drift, OP)

OperaLover
04-06-2017, 03:01 PM

I know some of you set yours up that way...Aussies in particular, but I'm curious who here rides left brake rear regularly, and even more curious who has switched and or tried both?

Me, switched back in the late '70s because I thought it was "Euro." It will come in handy (if and) when I do get a moto. My wife who rode motorcyles all her life (before kids) had me set up her bike with Right/Front for that reason.

Llewellyn
04-06-2017, 04:01 PM

Even though I'm in Oz, I've had my brakes set up with left front for years. I think it gives a smoother line for the brake cable for modulation. I'd find it odd to swap back now.

But back to the matter at hand - I can't wait for Sunday either. Best race of the year.

YesNdeed
04-06-2017, 06:51 PM
'Sunday' prep..

I think everybody needs to do their homework and watch this before this Sunday:)

I knew there was something I needed to before filing taxes. Thanks for reminding me.

oldpotatoe
04-06-2017, 07:44 PM
by the way - where do i tune in this weekend to watch?

'Tiz-cycling'

Peter P.
04-06-2017, 09:46 PM

I ride left/rear. When I was a teenager, back in the 70's, I went over the bars in a panic stop when my left hand grabbed a fistful of front brake. I got the idea that reversing the levers would aid in preventing endos. It's worked for me.

oldpotatoe
04-07-2017, 05:38 AM

With DT shifters...able to shift the rear while braking(rear) and able to grab a musette while braking(rear)..instead of a handfull of front brake.

bluesea
04-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Between power and pedal I've always had zero problems switching brake sides. It came natural.

galgal
04-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Wonderful film. This is worth watching as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ewL8iuQG8

drewellison
04-07-2017, 01:47 PM
'Tiz-cycling'

Also showing on the NBC Sports Gold app.

galgal
04-07-2017, 08:55 PM
I guess I should have mentioned that the link I posted above involved homework such as knowing french:) In any case, some amazing footage that folks might enjoy, I hope. Those ina.fr archives are really something.
I love that the accompanying music to Merckx's unparalleled ride in 1970 is Beethoven's Ninth, seems appropriate.
Only other time that music is used is for the Duclos and Ballerini showdown sprint, which still makes me jump up watching it.

Vonruden
04-08-2017, 05:05 PM
'Sunday' prep..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtasQn6esEI

Awesome first scene!!

Watched from beginning to end the other night, my wife thought I was strange...love it.

AngryScientist
04-08-2017, 06:49 PM
everyone was just so much tougher back then.

"a rare steak makes a good breakfast for the task ahead"

love it.