PDA

View Full Version : Lost another rear light

kookmyers
04-05-2017, 01:20 PM
It fell off on my way into work this morning. Why isn't there a tether attachment point on these things?
:crap:

commonguy001
04-05-2017, 01:23 PM
What brand/mounting system have you been using?

I am using the latest mount version of the Niterider Sentinel and it seems less than secure (but I haven't lost it yet).

Tony T
04-05-2017, 01:45 PM
Can a lanyard be attached to it and to the seatpost?

kookmyers
04-05-2017, 01:57 PM
What brand/mounting system have you been using?

I am using the latest mount version of the Niterider Sentinel and it seems less than secure (but I haven't lost it yet).

Funny,
that is the light i intended on replacing it with.
I was using a Niterider Solas USB on a seat stay mount. The mount seemed solid....it was hard for me to disconnect it for charging. But i rode home with it last night and didnt touch it until this morning when i turned it on. So it is unlikely i clipped it in wrong considering it went 15 miles without incident.

kookmyers
04-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Can a lanyard be attached to it and to the seatpost?

Something can likely be rigged but it doesnt have a designated spot to tie to.
I am going to try to rig something up for sure for the next light!

commonguy001
04-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Funny,
that is the light i intended on replacing it with.
I was using a Niterider Solas USB on a seat stay mount. The mount seemed solid....it was hard for me to disconnect it for charging. But i rode home with it last night and didnt touch it until this morning when i turned it on. So it is unlikely i clipped it in wrong considering it went 15 miles without incident.

I've actually used it to commute with since last November and knock on wood it's never come detached. Maybe because I don't need to attach it with a screwdriver it makes me think it's not going to stay put but so far so good including hitting the deck on my fat bike a handful of times this winter.

sonicCows
04-05-2017, 02:25 PM
O-rings can be a cheap solution. Just make sure it's not too cold else they can fail

stien
04-05-2017, 03:09 PM
My Niterider Solas mounts both broke. Not a fan. I called expecting them to give me a break on some new ones but was told it was like $12 each. One light also flooded so I relegated the other to clipped on a bag duty.

I'm now using Bontrager Flares (small square ones) with the stretchy rubber mounts. They also came with screw swivel mounts. Seem pretty sturdy.

If you want to make a tether, find a flat surface, clean with alcohol and add a small "zip tie square".

regularguy412
04-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Cygolite

I have 2 of these. Been in use for over a year with no issues. The first one replaced a rear light that couldn't seem to keep the batteries inside over rough pavement/ railroad tracks, etc.

I liked it so much that I bought another for my 2nd bike.

Easy to use. Holds a charge quite well and no batteries to replace, just recharge via USB.

The mounting system is secure, yet the light is easy to remove for charging.

Just one of may sources here:

https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Hotshot-50-Rechargeable-Bicycle/dp/B013FIWBCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491423580&sr=8-1&keywords=cygolite+hotshot+50

Mike in AR:beer:

Peter P.
04-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Don't feel too bad; I lost a couple taillights myself. I can't remember the brand/model, but they were the same and after the second incident, I got wise and bought a model I could rig securely to my bike.

It happens. As long as you take action so it doesn't occur again, you're good.

jasonification
04-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Cygolite

I have 2 of these. Been in use for over a year with no issues. The first one replaced a rear light that couldn't seem to keep the batteries inside over rough pavement/ railroad tracks, etc.

I liked it so much that I bought another for my 2nd bike.

Easy to use. Holds a charge quite well and no batteries to replace, just recharge via USB.

The mounting system is secure, yet the light is easy to remove for charging.

Just one of may sources here:

https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Hotshot-50-Rechargeable-Bicycle/dp/B013FIWBCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491423580&sr=8-1&keywords=cygolite+hotshot+50

Mike in AR[emoji481]
+1

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

stien
04-06-2017, 06:29 AM
I thought about it this AM when my old Niterider clip-on almost fell off when I got it caught on something dismounting. I ended up zip-tie-ing a small metal washer to the bottom of the clip (it won't slip off) and using a twist tie as a tether to part of my bag.

djdj
04-06-2017, 06:48 AM
I agree on the Cygolite. It is firmly attached but easy to remove.

I don't ride at night, but use it during the day. I've had several people remark how bright it is.

R3awak3n
04-06-2017, 06:55 AM
I lost a bunch myself so now on the bike that sees most bigy ridding I have a dynamo powering both front and back lights. Problem solved.

Matt-H
04-06-2017, 07:11 AM
My wife bought an Axiom usb charge tail light at Performance. Pretty cheap, have gotten several positive comments from motorists and cyclists on its visibility, and has always stayed in place. I started using it after my L&M 180 micro vis mount broke for a second time. There is a serious flaw in the L&M design and although their customer service has been good, I'm done with it. Bought another Axiom after I was getting complaints that my wife's light was never on her bike.

oldpotatoe
04-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Question for the 'got lights' crowd.

Don't ride at night no more(yay)..never liked it BUT I had a variety of front lights..used all them on steady after dark. Driving home last night, it's dark, and I see a cyclist going up the hill on the Hwy36 path, front light, bright one, but on 'flash'..?? Don't get it, seems like that would be really distracting.

??

stien
04-06-2017, 08:18 AM
It's called daytime mode for a reason IMO. Silly and dangerous to use it in the dark.

Works best during daytime rain. Wish I had one that bright for the back. People cutting it way too close when it's wet out and they have their heads buried in their phones.

redir
04-06-2017, 08:38 AM
He might be flashing it to save batteries? IDK but it would make me have seizures ;)

As for rear lights, I've lost a few, I now zip tie them on tight.

commonguy001
04-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Don't think I could handle running a headlight in flash mode on my morning commute. Thank God that's the only time I actually ride in the dark anymore as I have a hard enough time seeing stuff in the daylight.

beeatnik
04-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Lezyne.

Little rubber things are better than clamps and great when you have multiple bikas with varying seat post and handlebar diameters.

jumphigher
04-06-2017, 03:52 PM
FWIW OP, I found a really nice rechargeable Planet Bike tail light a few months back on one of my workout rides. I ran it on CL a few times but (no surprise I guess) nobody claimed it. Been using it daily ever since. It's my favorite light. :)

joosttx
04-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Question for the 'got lights' crowd.

Don't ride at night no more(yay)..never liked it BUT I had a variety of front lights..used all them on steady after dark. Driving home last night, it's dark, and I see a cyclist going up the hill on the Hwy36 path, front light, bright one, but on 'flash'..?? Don't get it, seems like that would be really distracting.

??

So, it is more visible to drivers. You know the contrast from light to dark. But it is rather distracting and seizure inducing when ride with flashing front light. What I have done is the past is have two lights- a blinky and a regular one. The regular makes the blinky less seizure inducing.

KidWok
04-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Zip-ties make everything better.

My Cateye Volt headlights have flash mode for nighttime. Low beam with a high beam flash. Works great.

Tai