PDA

View Full Version : OT, Kind of: Competitive Cyclist Personal Account Manager

SpokeValley
04-05-2017, 11:54 AM
I just ordered something from CC and within minutes, got a phone call from my "personal account manager," and a follow up email.

I didn't think I needed much help in general, and I didn't think I needed a PAM because I'm an infrequent customer. This time I bought some Skratch Labs hydration drink they have on sale, no gear.

It's an interesting approach though, and I am a sucker for personal service.

Their message:

"We are working to make online shopping a more customized and personalized experience for you. I am a customer account manager and I’m here for any gear questions you may have. I am always happy to help and love talking all things outdoors so never hesitate to reach out. I can help with any gear questions, returns, order status, and even product suggestions."

I wonder if my PAM has the authority to give me a better price? :rolleyes:

jtakeda
04-05-2017, 11:58 AM
I just ordered something from CC and within minutes, got a phone call from my "personal account manager," and a follow up email.

I didn't think I needed much help in general, and I didn't think I needed a PAM because I'm an infrequent customer. This time I bought some Skratch Labs hydration drink they have on sale, no gear.

It's an interesting approach though, and I am a sucker for personal service.

Their message:

"We are working to make online shopping a more customized and personalized experience for you. I am a customer account manager and I’m here for any gear questions you may have. I am always happy to help and love talking all things outdoors so never hesitate to reach out. I can help with any gear questions, returns, order status, and even product suggestions."

I wonder if my PAM has the authority to give me a better price? :rolleyes:

Yes they do.

I crashed and needed a new helmet. They told me to call and the account manager hooked me up.

Bought another helmet the next day for the lady because I was so thrilled with the customer service.

FlashUNC
04-05-2017, 12:01 PM
I bought some Lakes for groading on sale, and noticed a couple days later an email from them that the price had dropped further. I emailed my account guy who emailed me about the shoes after my order -- even told me that he wanted to hear from me even if there wasn't a problem -- and he refunded the price difference without question.

CC ain't perfect, but they're a darn sight better than pretty much any eComm experience I have.

vqdriver
04-05-2017, 12:03 PM
i've had a nice fellow call me up after perusing their site and leaving stuff in the cart. he offered to answer any questions and suggested (but didn't specfically say) that a price match or discount was possible. he was not pushy at all and it was probably the most pleasant cold call i've taken.

i've been quite happy with cc and make it a point to buy from them or a forum sponsor

azrider
04-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Ecommerce type sites are having to get creative. Competition is fierce.

.RJ
04-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Their customer service used to always be like that, before they were bought by backcountry.

chiasticon
04-05-2017, 01:22 PM
I get these every time I buy something from there or Backcountry. in February I bought something and immediately got an email to the same tune as yours. it also included something like: "if it doesn't work out for any reason, just let me know and we'll see if we can't get that $6 return shipping fee waived for you."

to which I thought: "why don't you just offer free returns then?"

Tony T
04-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Same here.
Bought some shorts, when he called I thanked him and said that they may be too small, so I may be returning for an exchange (expecting to pay the return shipping), and he said that if I did to give him a call and he would email me a free return label.
Shorts did need to be exchanged and he not only sent me the return label, he shipped the replacement before they even received the "too small" shorts back.

Pleasant experience.

Only thing I didn't understand was that the item was shipped from BackCounrty.
(edit: just read the post from RJ that Competitive Cyclist were bought by BackCountry)

plandy
04-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Ecommerce type sites are having to get creative. Competition is fierce.

In turn, we the customers are getting "better" service, not those annoying sale calls.......

yngpunk
04-05-2017, 02:13 PM
I get these every time I buy something from there or Backcountry. in February I bought something and immediately got an email to the same tune as yours. it also included something like: "if it doesn't work out for any reason, just let me know and we'll see if we can't get that $6 return shipping fee waived for you."

to which I thought: "why don't you just offer free returns then?"

This requires you to engage with them, which will likely lead to an exchange or new purchase vs. if they just let you return them for free and automated, you'd more than likely be done with it and they'd lose the sale. I'm sure they have a bunch of big data and analytics around this...

rzthomas
04-05-2017, 03:01 PM
I got a call from them after loading up my cart with a bunch of 11-speed XT stuff and then sitting on the purchase. I had a good conversation with the rep and was able to apply a coupon to the purchase that had expired. Great service and i look forward to buying from CC again.

NPcycling
04-05-2017, 06:13 PM
I just purchased some winter gear from them and received a follow-up e-mail from someone. Not sure it is a service I will use.

Tony
04-05-2017, 10:57 PM
I have ordered lots from CC, they have GREAT customer service! Lately I have been receiving follow ups on my orders, including mobile phone numbers, emails and pictures of my sales person.

beeatnik
04-05-2017, 11:56 PM
Competitive Cyclist is so weird.

Do they still do reviews on EVERY SINGLE ITEM they sell?

xeladragon
04-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Ditto that my experience with CC/Backcountry has been great recently. I've made two big-ticket purchases in the last few months (mountain bike and wheelset), neither of which qualified for free shipping, but I chatted with someone online both times, and had free shipping added to my order. Can't complain about that!

Mikej
04-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Competitive Cyclist is so weird.

Do they still do reviews on EVERY SINGLE ITEM they sell?

Actually, customers can review as well -

fuzzalow
04-06-2017, 08:46 AM
I feel rather shunned or excluded.

I bought something in the last week or so from CC. Not an insignificant purchase. Nuthin'. Not a peep. Maybe they're upset I used a 20% off code - which nets down to only 11.125% off because CC charges local sales tax for online sales.

Knowing how you guys got treated and I didn't might send me into a funk. :( HaHa! If I wanted a friend, I'd get a dog.