PDA

View Full Version : Spokes

Cloozoe
04-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Bah. The original post went on and on and all it added up to was, do DT Revolution spokes have any advantages/disadvantages/applications vs the thinner version Comps other than (a minute amount) of weight?

sales guy
04-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Bah. The original post went on and on and all it added up to was, do DT Revolution spokes have any advantages/disadvantages/applications vs the thinner version Comps other than (a minute amount) of weight?

advantages, yes. weight obviously. they also make a slightly softer wheel if you're using it for a lighter rider. not as harsh.

disadvantages, yes. massive spoke wind up if a clamp is not used. depending on if you use a nipples locking agent, they might need trued more often if they are used hard or by heavier riders. could break easier as they are thinner. not as stiff as a Competition spoke. more flex.

applications, up to you. I've used them on tons of stuff. light riders, heavier riders. mountain, road. it just depends on the way they're built.

I like building with them.

Cloozoe
04-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Thanks. I had read about how they like to wind, but easy enough to prevent. I'll give them a try.

They're actually thicker than lighter comps at ends (2 vs 1.8), but thinner in between (1.5 vs 1.6). That's why I wondered about whether there were specific applications where you'd want a higher ratio of butt to center strength or vice versa.

oldpotatoe
04-05-2017, 03:20 PM

No advantage. Weight savings lost in noise. More expensive with no increase in wheel performance.

Cloozoe
04-05-2017, 04:52 PM
No advantage. Weight savings lost in noise. More expensive with no increase in wheel performance.

Could well be. At .99 oz over the pair of wheels, it's the echo of noise within noise insofar as weight goes. But I knew that.

Seems not inconceivable, though, that other characteristics might be better/worse/different.

If not then not; I wonder if anyone actually knows one way or the other?

But if even slightly better or even just slightly different...hell, I've got a wife and two daughters; the $14 difference in cost for the one or two wheel sets a year I build is just lost in the noise, too.

thunderworks
04-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Thanks. I had read about how they like to wind, but easy enough to prevent. I'll give them a try.

So how do you prevent the wind . . .?

Dirtdiggler
04-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Have u looked into the DT Aerolites. Pricey and lighter than the Revolutions and will not twist when wheel building. Disadvantages are price 3 to 4 dollars per spoke and box of 20 so if you have a 28 hole wheel than you will eat the extra.

sales guy
04-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Have u looked into the DT Aerolites. Pricey and lighter than the Revolutions and will not twist when wheel building. Disadvantages are price 3 to 4 dollars per spoke and box of 20 so if you have a 28 hole wheel than you will eat the extra.

Aerolite spokes are flattened Revolution spokes. the weight is the same and they wind up just as easily unless you use a clamp of some kind. Especially if you use some form of nipple locker.

sales guy
04-05-2017, 08:11 PM
So how do you prevent the wind . . .?

Competition Cycles out of Wisconsin makes the Twist Resist Spoke Clamp. It's available in left or right handed models and they work AWESOME!!!! It looks like a third hand brake cable tool. It actually starts life as one. You put it on the spoke, pull down and it clamps around the spoke so it doesn't twist.

The guy who invented it is the guy who invented the CronoMetro wheels and owns CronoMetro in Wisconsin.

Cloozoe
04-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Cool. Always glad for the excuse for a new tool.

I just lube well - Phil's rather than linseed or lock-tite- mark a few to see how much they're twisting, overturn and back off, use a soft nose pliers if necessary to hold em, pre-stress the spokes...the usual asst. of techniques none of which I thought up.

sales guy
04-05-2017, 08:41 PM
Cool. Always glad for the excuse for a new tool.

I just lube well - Phil's rather than linseed or lock-tire- mark a few to see how much they're twisting, overturn and back off, use a soft nose pliers if necessary to hold em, pre-stress the spokes...the usual asst. of techniques none of which I thought up.

When you get one, you will get which ever hand you don't tension with. So if you're right handed and tension with that hand, you'd get the left handed model. If you have one of these you don't need to do the tighten and back off method. It holds them very very tight.

oldpotatoe
04-06-2017, 05:35 AM

Aerolights and CxRay, being a thin spoke that starts life as a Lazer or Rev, will twist as well. Still thin spokes and gotta support the rim. Thin spokes(1.5mm center section) don't support the rim as well as 1.8mm center section, double butted spokes. Add in light rim and low spoke count=3 strikes and you are out. I just don't see saving a few grams on a 85,000 or 90,000 bike and rider 'package' worth the $..IMHO. I won't build using thin spokes on the drive side of any rear wheel.

Yup, I use a Twist Resist, have for decades, great tool.

MaraudingWalrus
04-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Specialized also has this tool for combating spoke windup. I like it a bit more than a twist resist. Diminishing returns hits hard though, it's quite a bit more spend than the twist resist tool.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/61e9b7a671e921507c14cae531dc8ef8.jpg