PDA

View Full Version : BMC monster cross single speed??

skiezo
04-04-2017, 04:35 PM
So I have had the monster cross for over a year and have not taken it out of the box yet. Plenty of reasons but I will not get into here.
So I have a few options to build this up with. I have a set of SS wheels and a track crankset. I could also do a 10 speed rear and a single front.
Just curious if anyone built one up as a single speed.
If so what do you think of it. Do you wish it was geared??
Opinions please??

thirdgenbird
04-04-2017, 05:29 PM
I haven't done it with that specific frame, but I thought about it more than once.

One of my favorite builds was a single speed with fat tires and a rack. It was perfect for relaxing computer free rides.

geeter
04-04-2017, 07:01 PM
I am hoping to ss the one day to be released disc version

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

cachagua
04-04-2017, 07:35 PM
So I have had the monster cross for over a year and have not taken it out of the box yet. Plenty of reasons but I will not get into here...

Way to ration your fun! That's fantastic. Now I feel better about the bikes I've got that I haven't ridden.

This could actually be a strategy: keep buying frames with no intention of building them or riding them any time soon... set yourself up to have "new" bikes for years to come. Maybe I'm following this strategy and don't even know it.

But to answer your original question -- no, why would there be any issue? Go single speed, go coaster brake, go kickback 2-speed or 3-speed fixed if you feel like it. A much more adaptable frame than a lot of others.

DrSpoke
04-04-2017, 09:54 PM
I am hoping to ss the one day to be released disc version

I emailed Mike today. He replied and said the disc is about a year out. In addition, he's working on a road disc model and both have thru axles. Both sound like they will be worth the wait.

DrSpoke
04-04-2017, 09:58 PM
A good friend has been riding a BMC SS for many years though the road frame. I think he sized up a bit in order to also run flat bars. The frame has some rust so he just bought a new (road) frameset. I offered to transfer the components to the new frame. So I picked it up on Friday - and must say it's very nice. It's the Molteni orange version. I want one :)

Of course I can't comment on the ride but know my friend loves it. He keeps it at work for some lunch time training rides.

geeter
04-04-2017, 09:58 PM
I emailed Mike today. He replied and said the disc is about a year out. In addition, he's working on a road disc model and both have thru axles. Both sound like they will be worth the wait.
Good to know. It's likely to be my next frame down the line... Until another pops up in between 😀

thirdgenbird
04-04-2017, 09:59 PM
BMC road with discs and through axles? He has my interest.

jmoore
04-04-2017, 10:01 PM
I am working on this exact same project right now. I am going to build a 1x10sp version using Ultegra parts and some v-brakes so I have enough clearance for 40's+. I'm going to convert the Ultegra double to a single with a Wolftooth chainring.

The main issue I'm having right now is determining the full brake setup with v-brakes and road levers. It should not be a problem but I don't know squat about v-brakes, so I'm having to learn.

Pretty much all the rest of the parts are standard stuff. Once you figure out the crank, rear derailler and brake situation, you are good to go.

DrSpoke
04-04-2017, 10:06 PM
BMC road with discs and through axles? He has my interest.

Mine too - that's a pretty rare combination, especially in a road frame, but one I've been sort of looking for. I've got an extra component group based on Ultegra hydro and a few extra thru axle wheelsets. I'll probably put them on a gravel frame for now though. But I also have a Record 10 group that would look good on the Molteni road frame.

thirdgenbird
04-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Mine too - that's a pretty rare combination, especially in a road frame, but one I've been sort of looking for. I've got an extra component group based on Ultegra hydro and a few extra thru axle wheelsets. I'll probably put them on a gravel frame for now though. But I also have a Record 10 group that would look good on the Molteni road frame.

I've also heard rumors about Campagnolo optimized Paul Klamper brakes. Things could get good.

nickrenfro
04-04-2017, 11:23 PM
Not a BMC frame and definitely not what I would consider monster cross, but I've been running an old steelman race frame as my beater for the past couple of months now. It's fun as heck. I can crush hobo trails with groceries on the front rack on my way back home.

I would say that if you have other bikes that can get dirt done more seriously then you should set it up SS and just have fun with it.

Here's the set up: http://imgur.com/keYprgU

geeter
04-05-2017, 03:25 PM
I emailed Mike today and he confirmed it is about a year out for the disc Monster Cross.

hellvetica
04-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Do it. But make sure you flat bar for optimal fun-age.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/689/32750781862_648ec87f17_b.jpg