PDA

View Full Version : Limar Helmet opinions

Brian Cdn
04-04-2017, 12:48 PM
I was looking at getting a Limar 778 Superlight Helmet. I kind of like the bug net feature and the weight is quite respectable too. Wondering if anyone has experience with this brand and model.

My current crash lids are in the Giro family... with Aeon being the most head friendly as far as fit (to me). Anyone know if the Limar fits similar to the Aeon ?

Bentley
04-04-2017, 01:40 PM
I am not that familiar with Limar, but I use Kask and it was a big upgrade from the Giro. I use the Protone but the Mojito is nice as well. I also have a Rudy Project that is very nice.

Ray

Ken Robb
04-04-2017, 02:00 PM
I have a longish head so headgear that is more oval than round fits me better. I think getting a really good, comfortable fit is the most important factor providing all my candidates pass the same tests for protection of my head.

In motorcycle helmets Arai helmets are usually better for me than Shoie. I don't know a generality about the shape of bike helmets so I just try on a bunch until I find one that fits well and is easy to adjust and fasten the straps.

john segal
04-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Brian
Love my Limar 778, but as they say, every head is different.
FWIW, I've never found a Giro helmet that I can wear.

YesNdeed
04-04-2017, 04:14 PM
I had a Limar Ultralight and loved it. As the only helmet I've ever broken, I can attest that it also works. The only Giro helmet that fits me is the Synthe. All the other Giro don't fit my long head. I currently use a Rudy Project Sterling.

tv_vt
04-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Can there ever be a Limar thread without mentioning Emma? Whatever happened to her?
https://www.google.com/search?q=emma+limar&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilmNqHnYzTAhXD34MKHSuIC18QsAQIGw&biw=1487&bih=721#imgrc=hiTgn-B-5YNiRM:

Brian Cdn
04-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Thanks TV....

I was hesitating till I saw your post and Emma link.
For sure I'll be ordering a Limar now.

Vientomas
04-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Can there ever be a Limar thread without mentioning Emma? Whatever happened to her?
https://www.google.com/search?q=emma+limar&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilmNqHnYzTAhXD34MKHSuIC18QsAQIGw&biw=1487&bih=721#imgrc=hiTgn-B-5YNiRM:

I married her.

alterergo
04-04-2017, 11:42 PM
I had Limar 709 helmet previously, and I liked it a lot. It is wasn't an ultralight one by any means. The problem was that within a year or so, the helmet pads kind of fall apart and velcro hooks were quite uncomfortable :(

I called Albabici, the US distributor, to learn that replacement pads were available but for $35. Being a poor student, I mumbled something that helmet is also cracked so I would just pass. "Aha, crash replacement!" they said. They shipped me a new Limar 777 for slightly more then pads.

I am not particularly found of 777 though. It is very very light, and it is quite "minimal" i.e. doesn't provide good coverage in the back of the head and tends to ride on top of it. Partly because of that, it is quite difficult to get a proper adjustment. I find Giro rock lock system to be far superior and I quite like Aspect that I am currently using.

ripvanrando
04-05-2017, 06:43 AM
I have one. It seems more oval but the ventilation, light wieght, and bug screen are especially nice characteristics. I get stung like 10 times a year.

Brian Cdn
04-05-2017, 07:20 AM
I have one. It seems more oval but the ventilation, light wieght, and bug screen are especially nice characteristics. I get stung like 10 times a year.

Yes, the bug net..
As I'm super allergic, I dread getting stung and having to use the Epipen during a ride.

David Tollefson
04-05-2017, 08:20 AM
I have the Ultralight. I like it -- the oval shape fits my melon well. The bug net, however... I've never really had an issue with bugs getting caught in a helmet. But the mesh does make putting glasses up there a problem.

T-Crush
04-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Had three. One aged out of use, one is currently a back-up (I've gone MIPS) and one gave itself to save me in an epic crash (helicopter ride, week in the hospital, etc.). Won't hesitate to buy another if/when they introduce a MIPS version (and not trying to start a MIPS flame war, I simply subscribe to trying anything that has a logical chance of saving me in a crash).

I was a Giro guy, since everyone either has a Bell head or a Giro head, and the Limar was even more comfy.

Brian Cdn
04-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Thanks everyone for their input
I ordered a Limar 778 superlight and am looking forward to giving it a try.
I expect that it will work out just fine.

Cheers all !

B

sparky33
05-22-2022, 01:22 PM
What size Limar Air Pro?
I'm usually between medium and large in most helmets. My oval head fits a Specialized Prevail in size medium. I measure 58.5cm, and most other brands' large tends to fit better. This is all with a thin cycling cap.

Brian Cdn
05-22-2022, 02:28 PM
No sure about the Air Pro.

I had the Ultralight 778 medium and it fit perfectly. (and it saved my life in a car crash) I ordered a 2nd one in medium and it was really tight. Followed that with a size large and that one was huge.

Now I have none.

herb5998
05-22-2022, 03:31 PM
Recently tried an Air Pro in Large, I sit I on the edge of M/L in a lot of helmet brands. Fit profileis more round than oval, the retention system did fit nicely. Straps are soft and don't get in the way. What killed it for me was the padding (MIPS SL), it's nicely padded, but not much in the way of sweat management to keep it from dripping in my eyes. It was too much of a distraction so it had to go.

My other helmet is a Specialized Prevail II with MIPS SL padding, the sweat management there is much better. The airflow is quite similar though.