PDA

View Full Version : Acetone nail polish remover on Carbon Campy shifter?

galgal
04-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Have a Record 11 shifter that has about 1cm of clear coat chipped on the tip. Lightly sanded it and applied clear nail polish. Made a hash of it, applied the polish too thick I guess, looks worse dang it.
Would it be Ok to use acetone nail polish remover on the carbon shifter? Thanks.

YesNdeed
04-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Grab a multi grit nail buffing pad from the same section in which you found the nail polish, and see if you can smooth it out. I've patched up many a damaged clear coat using this process, and no one but me can tell it's there.

galgal
04-03-2017, 11:50 PM
Grab a multi grit nail buffing pad from the same section in which you found the nail polish, and see if you can smooth it out. I've patched up many a damaged clear coat using this process, and no one but me can tell it's there.

Thanks, will check that out. I really messed this up somehow, the clear nail polish turned into greyish gunk on shifter. So might have to remove it altogether, which is why I was thinking of nail polish remover. Never used it on carbon so was wondering if people had? Never used it on my nails either, for that matter ;)

djdj
04-04-2017, 06:17 AM
Acetone should not affect clear coat.

Black Dog
04-04-2017, 07:57 AM
As was said above, Acetone will not harm the resin and will go after the nail polish. Apply the polish is thin coats and let it mostly dry between coats. Wet sand the final coat with 600-800 grit paper and it will look like new. It is a process, take your time.

galgal
04-04-2017, 11:18 AM
As was said above, Acetone will not harm the resin and will go after the nail polish. Apply the polish is thin coats and let it mostly dry between coats. Wet sand the final coat with 600-800 grit paper and it will look like new. It is a process, take your time.

Thanks for the info. Will take my time this time, made a mess when rushing. Was thinking of wet sanding final coat with 1500 grit though?

Black Dog
04-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Will take my time this time, made a mess when rushing. Was thinking of wet sanding final coat with 1500 grit though?

Work your way up to the higher grits to get the final polish. 1500 is a bit of over kill. 1000-1200 will leave a perfect finish.

cdn_bacon
04-05-2017, 02:25 PM
find a can of automotive clearcoat (pepboys or Princess auto) I've used them on all my campy shifters without any problems. sand between coats. works really well. then use scratch remover polish for the final step.