PDA

View Full Version : Cycling tips and tricks...What you got?

William
04-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Spotted this and it got me thinking: What do you know or what have you spotted that might be helpful to others for bike maintenance and/or repair?

650b tire mounting station...

...It is important to have the tires seat properly so they run straight and true when you spin them.
Trying to do this on a work bench, or on the floor is difficult and at times frustrating.

I use a new Rubbermaid trash can as my mounting station....

Spotted here...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/7262839928/in/faves-27880623@N05/

William

dustyrider
04-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Drink Your favorite alcoholic beverage before, during, and after. You're going to have to do it all over again anyways to get it absolutely perfect!
May as well make it fun.:beer:

MattTuck
04-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Don't ride too close to the barriers.
Don't push your team mate in a TTT.
Don't ride through a level crossing.

tiretrax
04-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Don't ride too close to the barriers.
Don't push your team mate in a TTT.
Don't ride through a level crossing.

I think it's supposed to be maintenance related, but on your wavelength - look down the road where you're turning. If you look at the guardrail, you'll end up in it.

vqdriver
04-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Ive said this one a few times

Dont pound the crown race onto the fork, pound the fork into the race.

Louis
04-03-2017, 11:55 PM
Use a short (about 5") bit of coat hanger wire bent into the shape of an elongated C to detention a section of chain where you want to break it.

Gummee
04-04-2017, 08:00 AM
Use a short (about 5") bit of coat hanger wire bent into the shape of an elongated C to detention a section of chain where you want to break it.

If you take the chain off the rings first, you won't need that trick

M

oldpotatoe
04-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Keep your toe nails trimmed.:)

Tony
04-04-2017, 09:19 AM
A sharpened spoke is a handy tool you'll use often.

Wipe chain down every other ride, running a paper towel between the big ring and chain several times, don't forget the pulleys. This takes little over 1 minute and keeps the whole drivetrain clean.

For cleaning chain use food handing gloves, much cheaper than latex/nitrite gloves. A box of a 1000 for under $5.00!

A thin zip tie makes a great gauge for checking sealant in tires, inserted through the valve stem the groves in the tie hold the sealant. I drill three indicator holes in the ties, one for 1oz, 2oz, 3oz.

Tony
04-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Spotted this and it got me thinking: What do you know or what have you spotted that might be helpful to others for bike maintenance and/or repair?

Been using cardboard boxes for this.

Tony
04-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Aqua seal adhesive/sealant repairs cuts in tires preventing further damage. Its a tenacious water proof adhesive that works well for many applications.

Tony
04-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Keep your toe nails trimmed.:)

Also use toe nail clippers to trim zip ties, the curvature in the clippers leaves the cut ends smooth and rounded instead of sharp.

ergott
04-04-2017, 01:24 PM
Also use toe nail clippers to trim zip ties, the curvature in the clippers leaves the cut ends smooth and rounded instead of sharp.

I have a small pair of end nippers. They cut the end flush with the zip tie and nothing catches. Looks real clean.

.RJ
04-04-2017, 01:30 PM
tie up your loose cassettes with 2 zip ties, not 1.

msl819
04-04-2017, 01:32 PM
I cannot tell you how many people I ride with don't know to shift to the smallest cog of your cassette in the rear when you need to take of you rear wheel off for say a tire change. Then they fight the chain to get the wheel back on and the hubs set back into the dropouts.

spoonrobot
04-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Spotted here...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/7262839928/in/faves-27880623@N05/

It's amazing how in such a short time this has become unnecessary for most tires and rims as companies using modern quality and production methods have gotten involved in producing 650b components.

:hello:

cachagua
04-04-2017, 02:53 PM
If the bike's gonna be in the stand for more than a minute, I like to put one of these through the front wheel and around the downtube:

http://www.niteize.com/images/GTTP_Feature_04_n.jpg

I think it's the next-to-biggest size shown that I've got, maybe 16 or 18".

bironi
04-04-2017, 07:17 PM
My most recent maintenance guilty pleasure is to buy bulk Chinese tooth brushes. I tried to use them for teeth maintenance, but they at most good for three days (maybe). I love using tooth brushes for hard to get places on my bikes when cleaning. I am not a guy who is WILLING to disassemble everything for cleaning. I have three fixed gears and one multi-geared bike. I love tooth brushes and q-tips for cleaning. My 1 cent.:beer::beer:

Tony T
04-04-2017, 08:26 PM
When you get that new order of tubes, apply a drop of loctite on the valve stem and tighten with needle nose pliers.

dmurphey
04-04-2017, 10:59 PM
Drop down to small front rong when coming to a stop sign or red light.
Brush and floss
Give money to the funky public radio dudes
Call your mom

bironi
04-05-2017, 02:23 AM
Ride fixed and don't worry about which chain ring you're on for stops and red lights. I love your 3 other tips.:beer:

ripvanrando
04-05-2017, 05:59 AM
pick glass out of your tires before they flat. Easy check at stop lights or rest stops on long rides.

stien
04-05-2017, 06:21 AM
If the bike's gonna be in the stand for more than a minute, I like to put one of these through the front wheel and around the downtube:

I think it's the next-to-biggest size shown that I've got, maybe 16 or 18".

If you have a stand with a pivoting clamp, simply angle the bike so the front wheel is lower than the rear. It'll stay centered.

If you can't deal with the above, use a toe strap. Less wasteful.

William
04-05-2017, 07:41 AM
Keep a couple of spent Power Bar wrappers in your patch kit. They make a great tire boot to get you home if you are unfortunate enough to get a good sized hole/split in a tire/sidewall.

William

batman1425
04-05-2017, 09:46 AM
If you have a stand with a pivoting clamp, simply angle the bike so the front wheel is lower than the rear. It'll stay centered.

If you can't deal with the above, use a toe strap. Less wasteful.

I have plenty of riding friend that have never used or owned toe straps. Not as common as the once were and It's not like you can't use those ties for other things too. They aren't single use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LegendRider
04-05-2017, 09:49 AM
Baby wipes in your workshop - a multitude of uses.

stien
04-05-2017, 10:10 AM
I have plenty of riding friend that have never used or owned toe straps. Not as common as the once were and It's not like you can't use those ties for other things too. They aren't single use.

My bad, first glance they looked like zip ties.

I still like to tilt the front end down so the wheel stays centered.

batman1425
04-05-2017, 10:14 AM
My bad, first glance they looked like zip ties.

I still like to tilt the front end down so the wheel stays centered.

Oh yea, def. wouldn't use a zip tie for that. Agree that is wasteful.

jwess1234
04-05-2017, 10:38 AM
My toes/feet are the first thing to get cold. My method of keeping toasty on cold days is to sandwich those ski handwarmers between the outside of my shoe and underneath the toe cap/cover or bootie. Especially great if it's mostly toes and you can do toe cap.

.RJ
04-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Keep a couple of spent Power Bar wrappers in your patch kit. They make a great tire boot to get you home if you are unfortunate enough to get a good sized hole/split in a tire/sidewall.

A guy I ride with will use those as an impromptu wind layer down the bib shorts....

rsandoval75002
04-05-2017, 03:25 PM
:beer:

William
04-06-2017, 07:23 AM
A guy I ride with will use those as an impromptu wind layer down the bib shorts....

That could be messy depending on the time of year. During the Winter the bars come out no problem. In the Summer they stick and little bits adhere to the wrapper. :eek:

William

William
04-06-2017, 07:28 AM
When I inadvertently ride through broken glass, as quickly as I safely can I use my gloved hand to make a "C" and wipe off the front and rear tires as I roll along to clean off any stuck bits before they can work into the tire.

I know some think it works, and some don't. Seems to work for me.

William

msl819
04-06-2017, 08:06 AM
When I inadvertently ride through broken glass, as quickly as I safely can I use my gloved hand to make a "C" and wipe off the front and rear tires as I roll along to clean off any stuck bits before they can work into the tire.

I know some think it works, and some don't. Seems to work for me.

William

I do the same except I'll put the top of my shoe on top of the rear tire instead of my hand. It may not get as much coverage on the rear tire but it feels to me like less chance of getting a finger into the rear brake.

dpascal
04-09-2017, 12:26 PM
My tip :
Use almond oil to soften and prolong the life of leather seats.