PDA

View Full Version : GPS when riding

plandy
04-03-2017, 12:28 AM
Curious to know if any of you using GPS when riding, and reason????

EPIC! Stratton
04-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Um, yeah. I use my 520. Typically more when I'm out and about solo (less so in a group ride, other than to strava). I like it as I'm still learning the area and the roads. Nice sometimes to have a route planned out as I know how far to go, that I won't be getting lost on major roads, and that there may be a coffee and/or ice cream stop coming up.

Also nice for the other data - temperature, speed, and all that fun stuff. That said definitely focused more on enjoying the ride and being in the moment.

chiasticon
04-03-2017, 08:49 AM
to what extent are you asking?

do I use it to track my ride for upload to Strava and such later? do I use it to track the distance and speed of my ride? do I use it for uploading courses to the Garmin and following them? do I use it to look up destinations and route me to them? yes, yes, yes, and yes.

htwoopup
04-03-2017, 08:57 AM
It comes in handy when lost in an area without a lot of people to ask directions of...especially when you are not fluent in the language (I live mainly in Quebec but am not totally fluent in French).

redir
04-03-2017, 09:13 AM
I agree, it can come in handy when lost, just used it a couple weekends ago when a buddy and I got lost in South Carolina. I also like to look at the maps later on and determine the elevation and so on. Just another fun and sometimes useful toy.

bocobiking
04-03-2017, 10:10 AM
I never ride where I might get lost, and I don't want my ride experience to be clouded by or reduced to numbers. No.

shovelhd
04-03-2017, 10:27 AM
To track the ride only. SRM PC8. No navigation.

ripvanrando
04-03-2017, 10:55 AM
I use a SPOT tracker on longer rides in remote areas for rather sad reasons.

I use a Garmin 810 for turn by turn route navigation with map popups and to collect performance data like power because it works fairly well and no other real alternative had existed when I bought it. Although it has its little hissy fits now and then, when it works, it is brilliant.

sand fungus
04-03-2017, 08:17 PM
I will use it when I am riding and want to try a different route home or looking for a different road with less traffic on it. Especially if I am not familiar with the area.

bigbill
04-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Been using a Garmin 800 since 2012. Used a 305 for 5 years before that. I use it to track rides and miles. I never used the turn by turn until I started riding gravel grinders. Some of the "roads" on those rides look like a gravel driveway and are easy to miss. When I was riding in Montenegro, Slovenia, Sardinia, and even mainland Italy, the routes didn't always show on roads, but were pretty accurate. I used the wheel magnet and cadence sensor in the poorly mapped parts of the world.

plandy
04-04-2017, 12:42 PM
I live in the city, and use the same route all the time, that's why I am curious.
But I use GPS in my car all the time. ( still remember the old days that we have to use that huge map to plan our travel.) Wonder if any of you carrier that giant book around when riding back in the days........

commonguy001
04-04-2017, 02:12 PM
I use a Garmin that uses GPS but I don't have a GPS map on my screen if that's what you're asking. Even if I've loaded a route I won't leave my Garmin on the map page, I just don't care to look at that when I glance down.

benb
04-04-2017, 02:16 PM
I used to just use a GPS a couple times a year when I had something big planned out.

I use an Edge 1000 all the time now on all my bikes. I will download routes to it for events and such but mostly I use the GPS for tracking and just as a "map right there on the bars". I am more likely to just take a random turn onto a new street that I haven't explored before when I have the mapping GPS with me as I can get an idea of what the road leads too so I can feel confident about exploring without blowing through the limited time I have to ride.

That and the map Garmin uses now based off Open Street Map is just amazing in my area.. every road is perfect and almost every local trail system is on the map. You can ride around on a gravel bike or MTB and use the Map to locate trails you've never rode before.

bking
04-04-2017, 04:48 PM
I use it to track distance, average speed and climbing...otherwise the ride doesn't count. If it's not recorded, it's as if it never happened;)

Tony T
04-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Curious to know if any of you using GPS when riding, and reason????

I use a Garmin eTrac 20 (in the market now for an 820)

I use it to explore new routes (d/l'd from Strava, Ride with GPS)
Sure, I can take a map, miss a turn, and have a 60 mile ride turn into an 80 miler, but I'd rather not :)

Funny thing is, when I travel a new route by auto, I usually print out a Google Map (and leave the Garmin Nuvi in the glove box)

Ronsonic
04-04-2017, 05:40 PM
I use a Cateye Stealth 50, just to upload into strava and see where I was and how I was doing.

estilley
04-04-2017, 05:41 PM
When commuting I don't use anything. Just jeans, flat pedals, and a basket bike!

Road rides around town/nearby I use an Edge 500 with a cadence sensor. Love how simple and bombproof they are.

If I really get into the boonies or if I'm out of state I'll use my Edge 810 with turn by turn. Rode rural roads in Colorado and out in Oregon national forests all last year, never got lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk