PDA

View Full Version : OT: what is your favorite bourbon?

dbnm
04-02-2017, 10:06 PM
I have started appreciating bourbon and have started adding some bottles to my bar. Four Roses Single Barrel is the latest (now 11th bottle).

What is your favorite?

FlashUNC
04-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Wild Turkey Diamond.

Also, Pappy, but not worth the price premium over some others out there.

MattTuck
04-02-2017, 10:15 PM
I really haven't been drinking much in the past year, as I wage a war with my waistline. And, as far as Bourbon, I would not consider myself a sophisticated palette. I drink Buffalo Trace when I do drink Bourbon. It has a little sweetness, almost a maple flavor that I like. There is a very good bourbon thread from a while back.

Tandem Rider
04-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Blanton's and Willette are 2 of my favorites, but Bourbons are like saddles...

hollowgram5
04-02-2017, 10:27 PM
I've got a variety: Rowan's Creek, Noah's Mill, Black Maple Hill before the price skyrocketed, there's quite a few others on the cabinet. I've been enjoying Stranahan's a lot lately (I know it's not bourbon).. I haven't really had much of any of them lately. And by lately, I mean the past 10 months or so.

ColonelJLloyd
04-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Blanton's and Willette are 2 of my favorites,

To be fair, saying Willett (if you mean Family Estate) is a favorite doesn't mean much since they are barrel picks (unique FWIW). But, to say that pretty much anything they sell is high quality, interesting juice is certainly true in my view. I like their approach.

I have a lot of neat/interesting/rare/delicious stuff on my shelf, but recommending any of it to other people isn't much more than humblebragging. And availability varies so much between markets. Really good and interesting (different mashbills) bourbon that seem to be available in many markets are the Four Roses Single Barrel offerings. Their barrel pick program is solid.

Honestly, by volume I consume the most HH White Label, VOB 100 and OGD BIB.

joosttx
04-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Hudson Bay Baby Bourbon. I would bet on Anything Flash recommends

dave thompson
04-02-2017, 11:32 PM
Dry Fly Bourbon 101.

Dry Fly in Spokane was the first distillery to open in Washington since prohibition was repealed. One of the owners is a cyclist, they sell DryFly jerseys and above all make really good bourbon.

morrisericd
04-03-2017, 05:49 AM
Blanton's and my new favorite Colonel EH Taylor.

Colonel Taylor founded a distillery after the Civil War called OFC (Old Fired Copper) which eventually became Buffalo Trace. A friend of mine is an auctioneer and found an 100 year old unopened bottle of OFC in someone's attic. Last New Year's we broke it out and all had a glass. Amazing!

R3awak3n
04-03-2017, 05:56 AM
cheap cheap I like eagle rare.

used to be cheap, black maple hill. I used to drink that stuff by the buckets about 5/6 years ago when I lived in Seattle. Its great burbon and at those prices was the best, now with its rarity and crazy price hike, its not worth it.

I had the 16 year a few times (that was already not cheap back then) and its probably one of the best bourbons I have had.

pdonk
04-03-2017, 06:03 AM
Depends is my answer- these are all bottles we have at home plus others

For cocktails - Old Grand Dad - the sweet corn flavour comes out - saw it for $15 USD when I was away. Also Corner Creek.

For sipping and savouring - can't go wrong with Blantons(it is funny that there are more options for Blantons in the export market than the US domestic market - love the horses spelling out blantons), Basil Hayden and the mid priced wellers

For impressing people with your collection - Old Rip Van Winkle (won it in last years allotment), Hudson Baby, Koval, Parkers, Kings County

If you are interested in the relationships check out http://www.gq.com/story/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree

The book by the guys from kings county distillery is pretty interesting.

People are always impressed by our bar and think we are alcoholics, I always respond that if we were heavy drinkers our collection would be much smaller.

thunderworks
04-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Another vote for Blanton.

PeregrineA1
04-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Old Medley. Maybe Kentucky only. Got it in Louisville at a tasting room.

and another Blanton's vote.

.RJ
04-03-2017, 08:16 AM
Rowan's Creek, but needs a bit of water in it, its high proof.

4 Roses is nice but a bit spicy.

Blanton's Single barrel or woodford double oak cant go wrong.

Seramount
04-03-2017, 08:22 AM

verbs4us
04-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Slightly OT here, but I got one good bourbon story. I once worked for a French engineering firm that made water, gas and electricity meters. I was about to go visit the head of a Ukrainian utility company and, not knowing the protocol, consulted colleagues in Paris. "When I go to see him, I always bring him a bottle of champagne..." Claude said. I heard the same thing from several others, so I pictured this guy's closet, full of champagne.

What could I do different? I thought of bourbon, the only truly American spirit. I packed away a bottle of Maker's Mark, got it thru customs and near the end of the interview--which did not go well, mostly him giving one-word grunts for answers -- I presented the Marker's Mark. The ice storm suddenly ended. He came out from behind his massive desk (with four banks of dial phones) and gave me a bear hug, and began chatting in Ukrainian so fast, the translator could not keep up. That was really when the interview began. Bourbon as enabler for international diplomacy.

simplemind
04-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Slightly OT here, but I got one good bourbon story. I once worked for a French engineering firm that made water, gas and electricity meters. I was about to go visit the head of a Ukrainian utility company and, not knowing the protocol, consulted colleagues in Paris. "When I go to see him, I always bring him a bottle of champagne..." Claude said. I heard the same thing from several others, so I pictured this guy's closet, full of champagne.

What could I do different? I thought of bourbon, the only truly American spirit. I packed away a bottle of Maker's Mark, got it thru customs and near the end of the interview--which did not go well, mostly him giving one-word grunts for answers -- I presented the Marker's Mark. The ice storm suddenly ended. He came out from behind his massive desk (with four banks of dial phones) and gave me a bear hug, and began chatting in Ukrainian so fast, the translator could not keep up. That was really when the interview began. Bourbon as enabler for international diplomacy.

Great story!

BTW, anyone try TX (http://www.frdistilling.com/whiskeys/TXBlendedWhiskey/1)? Very nice mid price point!

pdonk
04-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Great story!

BTW, anyone try TX (http://www.frdistilling.com/whiskeys/TXBlendedWhiskey/1)? Very nice mid price point!

It was between that and garrison brothers for my bottle coming home. Chose garrison.

William
04-03-2017, 09:34 AM
There is a very good bourbon thread from a while back.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=111652&highlight=bourbon

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=175331&highlight=bourbon

William

blantonator
04-03-2017, 02:02 PM
Blanton's. See user name. Also a Blanton

KidWok
04-03-2017, 02:18 PM
1792 and Woodford. Maker's or Costco's is also usually in my stash.

Tai

Force
04-03-2017, 02:28 PM
I really like Angel's Envy. Woodford and Knob Creek are nice. Also, W.L. Weller, a Buffalo Trace product, is pretty good and inexpensive.

ojingoh
04-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Favorite is George T Stagg, part of the Ancient Collection from BT.
Some years it can be a little crazy (2004 was 142 proof.) I just like barrel strength whisk(e)y.

#2 is Blanton's.

#3: I had the honor of meeting Elmer Lee once, so Elmer Lee is up there too, for sentimental reasons. Pretty friggin good for $30, maybe a tie with Rockford Farms, but sometimes the Eugenol balance is too cinnamon-ey.

Pappy's 12 and 15used to be kind of underrated, now just hard to find.

Best value in brown spirits, of any kind, is Elijah Craig 12.

If I'm honest though, my favorite North American whiskeys are Ryes:
Old Potrero can have its moments,Sazerac 18 made my knees buckle, and Van Winkle 12 is nectar of the gods. I'd rate these three up there with legendary scotch bottles like 1977 Macallan Gran Riserva and 1978 Ardbeg. The pinnacle.

sand fungus
04-03-2017, 08:10 PM
#1 on my list is Blantons for sipping and knob creek or basil hayden for mixing. I just came back from Louisville a couple of weeks ago and tried quite a few different ones there and still like the Blantons the best.

sokyroadie
04-04-2017, 04:23 AM
Blanton's. See user name. Also a Blanton

I am also a Blanton and live in KY - All Bourbon SUCKS :no: IMHO

Jeff Blanton

pgrizzwald
04-04-2017, 08:11 AM
I've been enjoying Jefferson's Small Batch lately.

TiminVA
04-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Blanton's is my favorite, but Bulleit for everyday drinking.

SlackMan
04-04-2017, 02:28 PM
I think the website at the link below is very helpful. They collect ratings from different sources, and then provide a weighted average of the ratings. They also have tons of other information about each whiskey. I haven't found a huge discrepancy across their scores and what I actually like, assuming that I also read the tasting notes and not just look at the numerical score.

http://whiskey.underthelabel.com/

.RJ
04-04-2017, 05:42 PM
I think the website at the link below is very helpful. They collect ratings from different sources, and then provide a weighted average of the ratings. They also have tons of other information about each whiskey. I haven't found a huge discrepancy across their scores and what I actually like, assuming that I also read the tasting notes and not just look at the numerical score.

http://whiskey.underthelabel.com/

You guys ever do blind tastings? Reveals some interesting things about what you think you like.

stev0
04-04-2017, 06:05 PM
throwing in another vote for EH Taylor (single barrel, more specifically) - Also out of buffalo trace distillery but prefer it over pappy 15. Not really a bourbon drinker though. More of a scotch person, if that tells you anything.

pdmtong
04-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Some years it can be a little crazy (2004 was 142 proof.) I just like barrel strength whisk(e)y.

#2 is Blanton's.

#3: I had the honor of meeting Elmer Lee once, so Elmer Lee is up there too, for sentimental reasons. Pretty friggin good for $30, maybe a tie with Rockford Farms, but sometimes the Eugenol balance is too cinnamon-ey.

Pappy's 12 and 15used to be kind of underrated, now just hard to find.

Best value in brown spirits, of any kind, is Elijah Craig 12.

If I'm honest though, my favorite North American whiskeys are Ryes:
Old Potrero can have its moments,Sazerac 18 made my knees buckle, and Van Winkle 12 is nectar of the gods. I'd rate these three up there with legendary scotch bottles like 1977 Macallan Gran Riserva and 1978 Ardbeg. The pinnacle.

Too funny...recommending bourbon that is now un-obtanium....

Epicus07
04-04-2017, 06:31 PM
I was once lucky enough to score a bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.

Does not have the prestige of Pappy but great stuff!

merlincustom1
04-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Liking Woodford Reserve, Dad's Hat, Angel's Envy.

JAGI410
04-04-2017, 06:50 PM
A friend of mine has whisky nights a couple times a year. Pitch in $40 and we all taste the top shelf stuff in his collection. Pappy 15, 20, 23, etc. all the way down to Wild Turkey and whatnot. Really nice way to explore different profiles. I don't have the funds to build up my own collection, so I usually stick to more "drinkable" types. Evan Williams Single Barrel is $26 and I prefer it to a lot of others costing twice as much. Still need to try Blanton's though!

donevwil
04-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Current favorite, distilled 5 blocks away. Once I learned how to drink cask strength, I think I prefer it. For now at least.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51f6d643e4b08b0bde0f737e/t/52acc2f3e4b00790051c5474/1434823485948/Bourbon+Whisky+spec+%2711+new.jpg?format=1000w

thunderworks
04-04-2017, 07:51 PM
#1: Blanton
#2: Black label Jim Beam is remarkably good if price sensitivity is part of the equation

seric
04-04-2017, 11:19 PM
My favorite bourbon would be William Larue Weller from the antique collection, followed by Pappy 15. I wouldn't pay secondary for either though. I'm also drinking a Michter's 10 tonight, which I have to admit is very good despite not being a fan of their business model.

My daily drinkers are:
Buffalo Trace's #2 Mashbill (Elmer T. Lee/RockHill Farms/Blanton's)
Four Roses Barrel Proof (I'm partial to the Q yeast strain, both OE and OB)
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
Stagg Jr. (the later releases have grown on me)

Lately, I've been favoring Rye/Amaro cocktails. Willett, Hochstadter's, EH Taylor Rye, HW Midwinter, or if I'm feeling feisty one of the couple Handy's I get a year.

In between I drink whatever my buddy with a shop sets aside for me.

seric
04-04-2017, 11:27 PM

Correction, 2004 was 129 proof.

more details: https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/letters/2004%20George%20T.%20Stagg.pdf

:beer:
http://i.imgur.com/snqhpK8.jpg

MattTuck
04-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Speaking of Bourbon, that limited run Chris King color of "Bourbon" was pretty good. unfortunately, they couldn't get the chemistry consistent enough, so it is not a regular color. Rarer than the Pappy.

https://gzmyu4ma9b-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Chris-King-matte-finish-black-grey-green-bourbon-hubs-headset-limited-edition_-2.jpg

FriarQuade
04-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Russell's Reserve is a widely available favorite of mine. Weller is another good choice, but it's hard to find outside of bourbon country.

FriarQuade
04-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Speaking of Bourbon, that limited run Chris King color of "Bourbon" was pretty good. unfortunately, they couldn't get the chemistry consistent enough, so it is not a regular color. Rarer than the Pappy.

Anodizing dies have a shelf life, some colors are really stable and can be used for a couple months. The recipe for that batch of bourbon colored parts was experiencing some color shift within 12hrs. No way can that be a production color at that point. Maybe there's something that could be done to improve the stability of the die but King uses perhaps one of the best anodizers in the country and if they can't sort it out it's going to be really difficult.

Libraio
04-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Maker's 46
Blantons
Jim Beam signature craft 12 years

Not so easy buying bourbon or other American Whiskey over here (Holland) as most liquor stores stock mostly Scotch.

fourflys
04-05-2017, 04:08 PM
not a bourbon drinker per se, but I hear good things about Four Roses... a very close friend's dad just retired as the master distiller there a year or so ago...

bigman
04-05-2017, 04:11 PM
The Japanese whiskeys are the !@#$.

fkelly
04-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Old Factory Whistle: "three toots and you're out for the day"
Autumn Leaf: "two shots and you turn color and die"

illdthedj
04-05-2017, 04:59 PM
i think the last time i posted here was a few years ago, leave it to a bourbon thread to make me un-lurk:

snobs will hate on it, but Bulleit is great for mixing. for 30ish bucks @ costco for a 1.75 its a pretty good deal.

another good deal is Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are both trusty standards.

Col. EH Taylor is nice.
Blantons too.
i liked Russel's Reserve.

Four Roses Single Barrel is great.
High proof Booker's is great but needs a big ice cube.

someone gifted me a Widow Jane, that was good.

pretty much love bourbon up and down....

although wasn't a fan of 1792 or Hudson's baby bourbon.

everbeek
04-05-2017, 06:02 PM
I was fortunate to learn my bourbons with Pappy and Black Maple Hill when they were relatively inexpensive ($50ish) and somewhat available (10 years ago?). With Pappy near impossible to buy, I drank Wellers 12 year old which was <$30 but is also nearly impossible to find now. I don't enjoy the other Wellers' versions as well as the 12 year old version. Elijah Craig 12 year old was next best for me but they stopped making it (i.e., having to wait 12 years to sell it) but the current version (not stating any age on the label) is still high on my list. Evan Williams Single Barrel and Larceny are nearly as enjoyable as the Elijah Craig. I generally prefer the sweetness/less burn of wheated bourbons but dislike Makers Mark 46 and Bernheim which are both 'highly rated' wheated bourbons. I like the Wellers 12, EC and Evan Williams Single Barrel better than Blantons and they are half the price. Enjoy.
-Mike

MattTuck
09-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Just got a bottle of Blanton's as a thank you for helping a colleague out with a project.

:banana:

ojingoh
09-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Correction, 2004 was 129 proof.

more details: https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/letters/2004%20George%20T.%20Stagg.pdf

:beer:

Ahhh, you're right. I'm thinking of the 2003 release. I kind of avoided drinking the 2003, that one you picture in your hand is likely my favorite all-time bottle of bourbon, tastier than the 2003 I mentioned.

ojingoh
09-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Just got a bottle of Blanton's as a thank you for helping a colleague out with a project.

:hello:

Tandem Rider
09-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Nice score!!

I was trying to collect all 7 different horses, almost there. I haven't seen them since we moved, oh well, nothing to do but start over I guess.

madsciencenow
09-15-2017, 02:03 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170915/c18aae15f8fc25e8ca47eca5c9211d74.jpg

Like the Angel's Envy (the rye version is even better) and the Basil Hayden's. The Heaven Hill is good if you are on a budget. Makers is also great for an Old Fashioned

Personally, I prefer scotch. Talisker, Oban, The Balvenie, and Johnny Walker Green (if I can find it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdmtong
09-15-2017, 04:32 PM
That HH 6yo green is ridiculously cheap...like $33 for a 1.75 jug handle.
And, works nicely mixed. I admit a friend and drank a jug over a short period.

Aldus
09-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Old Forester Signature

kingpin75s
09-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Like the Angel's Envy (the rye version is even better) and the Basil Hayden's. The Heaven Hill is good if you are on a budget. Makers is also great for an Old Fashioned

Personally, I prefer scotch. Talisker, Oban, The Balvenie, and Johnny Walker Green (if I can find it).

Similar to above. I always keep a bottle of Basil Hayden's on hand, but prefer Scotch.

On that note, long week and although one of the Balvenie selections is usually my first grab, I have been thinking about my Aberlour A'Bunadh this week so time for a strong pull of some cask strength. Cheers and happy Friday to all!

instantturtle
09-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Eagle Rare. Good neat, on the rocks, as an old fashioned, mostly available and priced well. Tasty stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwalther
09-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Went to the premiere last week. A must see for all bourbon drinkers: http://www.thebourbonfilm.com/

indyrider
09-16-2017, 07:49 AM
Any Pappy that I can get my hands on! Also love the Elijah Craig 18.... Weller 12

indyrider
09-16-2017, 07:52 AM
Also check out the Bourbon and Beyond fest next weekend....going to see my boy Ed Vedder, have some good food, and just a few nips of nectar of the gods!

Http://www.Bourbonandbeyond.com

donevwil
09-16-2017, 03:09 PM
My wife's current favorite, she's a Scotch drinker and it's too oaky/earthy for me.

I'm currently between Whistlepig and Rowan's Creek or one of the best bangs for the buck Rittenhouse (Rye is my preferred).

MattTuck
06-24-2019, 11:34 AM

Soo... bumping this old thread. I finally opened this afforementioned bottle of Blanton's, and found that the bottom of the stopper (above the cork) is rusted/corroded.

Any Blanton's drinkers care to comment if this is normal and/or whether the booze is still safe to drink?

I sent an email last week to Blanton's via their Contact Us web form, but have not heard back.

ColonelJLloyd
06-24-2019, 12:09 PM
Post a pic. The only material that should be exposed to the bourbon is the cork part of the stopper.

Alcohol laws are such that I doubt they can do anything for you. More to the point, though, there is likely nothing wrong with the juice.

beeemmjay
06-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Haven't experienced any degradation of blanton's stopper before - strange.
Anyone else tried the 'gold'? I found a bottle recently, noticeably different than the standard; very nice, i'd say more complex, as bourbon goes.

Hellgate
06-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Soo... bumping this old thread. I finally opened this afforementioned bottle of Blanton's, and found that the bottom of the stopper (above the cork) is rusted/corroded.

Any Blanton's drinkers care to comment if this is normal and/or whether the booze is still safe to drink?

I sent an email last week to Blanton's via their Contact Us web form, but have not heard back.I've never had a bottle long enough for the cap to rust.

Ozz
06-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Soo... bumping this old thread. I finally opened this afforementioned bottle of Blanton's, and found that the bottom of the stopper (above the cork) is rusted/corroded.....

You should not store your bourbon in your converted carport/shed/garage.

In addition to the corrosion risks, it is inconvenient access for personal consumption and invites theft from local high school age hooligans...

Cheers.

;)

pdmtong
06-24-2019, 02:17 PM
Current bourbon favorites based on being more readily available-
- Eagle rare 10yo ($25)
- Russells Reserve 10yo ($30)
- EH Taylor small batch ($40)
- Bookers ($55)
- Elijah Craig Barrel Proof ($60)
- Makers Mark Cask Strength ($60)

Weller - forget it. that ship has sailed. $50 for 107 if you can find it? no thanks.

72gmc
06-24-2019, 02:37 PM
I like a range of bourbons. What matters more to me is the sweet vermouth, because a poor choice there will ruin the Manhattan. Carpano Antica is my current favorite. Martini and Rossi is the opposite of my favorite.

Seramount
06-24-2019, 03:19 PM
I like a range of bourbons. What matters more to me is the sweet vermouth, because a poor choice there will ruin the Manhattan. Carpano Antica is my current favorite. Martini and Rossi is the opposite of my favorite.

ah, another Manhattan fan...it's my go-to drink.

when I was transitioning from martinis to whiskey-based drinks, I seriously disliked this cocktail but found that it was because most recipes call for waaay too much vermouth.

I've found that I prefer it made with just the barest amount...about 10-15 drops is plenty for my tastes. have tried several different brands, but I use so little it doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

I typically use a decent bourbon with a 'mini-floater' of rye (Sazerac, Rittenhouse). also substitute a dried Montmorency cherry for the abhorrent Maraschino variety.

MattTuck
06-24-2019, 05:37 PM
Post a pic. The only material that should be exposed to the bourbon is the cork part of the stopper.

Alcohol laws are such that I doubt they can do anything for you. More to the point, though, there is likely nothing wrong with the juice.

Apologies in advance for the large size. Not sure how to make it smaller.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/aRAzlaUqusNq8lhj3w11p8lLjyvHt_yXKDVH-ZXQQu1LeDihNcsXsu06qghjR40CeOCa3u9sZGDeS0Ypx9_1u8C wqjvAJc1eNyQpjlj3AkSSUZPXTr47b-InLhrrbPR07OdR4QR1h5_6X0SVamoJIPDiTXRLr_i0Mh2mUDaj yHmZqU0BQb8x02MW3_2sRsYw0YtITJxoj8IapKNmnbd-e1lFiGlZIwFpO01cLy__pWM8K9VnOvhCpjbXVk0VtEf-vNGcJH2a6YRjmfaPUBad81NI-MwCWWc0wKODoJvecHs_xrJPI3MmaLK_J3xqSzdkYI_GAt27dyH IM_AqY1nItHCI-AaYsw7HhdMTkNAbdzLk5NZL8bLvS6jf67d9IwMJuRMqvTT2cRK yCdySHO9rRHILDTBwOMrWT-1qmaFZ3vn84AO_l_YYHhtGnNXUuV2bm_a9tMCTSck5evytD1Z4 UbE-wmBWPKzhRu5NPmB57K3_dfshUxe8PLxF2EOqUJ5KCKq8AXLRKf AxFREfM5h32mv3vSO0XkLO3wu2-AqaEOuRTLGrVXq6I3_YD_99E8eie-ZfcuQqg_ixBqP0gtYi9RUprgPuiObtwRaQcvZDgqK_nos_B_f3 kS3-5SEKRciguCLBRVYsRUiPan7E2TKwNtd9u2v41ac=w1919-h873-no

Hellgate
06-24-2019, 05:51 PM
I really don't thing the consultation contributes that much to the cost of a frame set. Maybe two to three hours tops? And that's part of doing business anyway.

The cost builds with additional features, SS couplers, pump pegs, chain hangers, disc v rim, tubeset, paint, fork, etc...

Does Vanilla/Speedwagon offer off the shelf frames?

If I was a builder I'm not sure I'd want to work too much outside of my process and that could impact my brand.

Seramount
06-24-2019, 06:08 PM
I really don't thing the consultation contributes that much to the cost of a frame set.

um, how much bourbon have you had this evening...?

pdmtong
06-24-2019, 07:42 PM
I really don't thing the consultation contributes that much to the cost of a frame set. Maybe two to three hours tops? And that's part of doing business anyway.

The cost builds with additional features, SS couplers, pump pegs, chain hangers, disc v rim, tubeset, paint, fork, etc...

Does Vanilla/Speedwagon offer off the shelf frames?

If I was a builder I'm not sure I'd want to work too much outside of my process and that could impact my brand.
yes it's called the ready made program // OG-1

I just spit out my wine

GParkes
06-24-2019, 08:51 PM
My absolutely uneducated opinion, but preferences.......

Four Roses Single Barrel for every day - but great quality for price.
Blanton's
E.H. Taylor Single Barrel for special friends - no need to spend more, taste will not get any better.

72gmc
06-24-2019, 11:43 PM
a dried Montmorency cherry for the abhorrent Maraschino variety.

Maraschinos are for banana splits! I hate paying for a Manhattan and getting a Maraschino.

At home, we've used dried Montmorency cherries stored in a small jar of bourbon (hic) and now use Fabbri amarena cherries. The latter were introduced to us by a restaurant we like. They're in a strong syrup so I use a fork.

Tandem Rider
06-24-2019, 11:46 PM
Sounds like he's on the right track to me... not too much, not too little :)

BIGRED55
06-25-2019, 12:21 AM
I have started appreciating bourbon and have started adding some bottles to my bar. Four Roses Single Barrel is the latest (now 11th bottle).

What is your favorite?

Bullet 10 year

SamIAm
06-25-2019, 01:00 PM
I like Rittenhouse Rye for Manhattans
Wild Turkey 101 for all other bourbon based drinks
Blade and Bow 22 year old for special occasions

dddd
06-25-2019, 01:15 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/2525/32846896136_a0cf2735ae_b.jpg

MilanoTom
06-25-2019, 04:48 PM
Don't drink much hard liquor, but I usually get cheaper name-brand stuff. Evan Williams or Jim Beam. I'd rather spend money on imported pipe tobacco.

Tom

pdmtong
07-03-2019, 05:18 PM
Bad news for beam-suntory

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/45000-barrels-of-jim-beam-bourbon-burn-in-kentucky-warehouse-fire/ar-AADNNlq?ocid=spartanntp

Bentley
07-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Said less than 1% of their whisky... all of it fairly young

tkbike
07-03-2019, 08:19 PM
Not seeing this as a great loss...bookers is their only bourbon worth drinking(personal opinion), I’ve stored a bottle of each release from the past several years, now up to 16 bottles in storage. I have also opened a bottle of each release and shared with friends!

Bad news for beam-suntory

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/45000-barrels-of-jim-beam-bourbon-burn-in-kentucky-warehouse-fire/ar-AADNNlq?ocid=spartanntp

pdmtong
07-03-2019, 08:21 PM
In other news, decided that it's time to drink the eagle rare 17yo I traded for a few years ago (2017 Stagg for 2017 ER 17)

So, after BBQ bacon cheeseburgers and apple pie, we will side-side the standard eagle rare 10yo and the can't-find-it-and-if-could-find-it couldn't-afford-it eagle rare 17yo (2017 BTAC).

It's the one BTAC I have never had. LBS is currently auctioning one and it's getting up towards $1,000. e f f that -I got to thinking, I have it, why not now? Happy 4th!

pbarry
07-03-2019, 09:30 PM
nvm, covered already.

ColonelJLloyd
07-03-2019, 09:44 PM
I got to thinking, I have it, why not now? Happy 4th!

Good for you. That's what it's for. Cheers.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48193405587_a05905ffb2_z.jpg

sand fungus
07-03-2019, 09:59 PM
My go to favorite now and then Blantons Rye, or Blantons.

eippo1
07-03-2019, 10:03 PM
Been enjoying Whistlepig lately. Friends got for it for me as a gift https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190704/ca45ad769def13daaa32eaba8cf18779.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Cantdog
07-03-2019, 10:48 PM
In other news, decided that it's time to drink the eagle rare 17yo I traded for a few years ago (2017 Stagg for 2017 ER 17)

So, after BBQ bacon cheeseburgers and apple pie, we will side-side the standard eagle rare 10yo and the can't-find-it-and-if-could-find-it couldn't-afford-it eagle rare 17yo (2017 BTAC).

It's the one BTAC I have never had. LBS is currently auctioning one and it's getting up towards $1,000. e f f that -I got to thinking, I have it, why not now? Happy 4th!

ER17 is the only BTAC I’ve left on a shelf. The last bottle I wound up as a mixer. I think I still have a 2oz sample saved, I coulda sent it to you and saved you from trading the Stagg!

07-03-2019, 11:12 PM
Any bourbon that isn't burned.

https://www.firerescue1.com/warehouse-fire/articles/394450018-Ky-Jim-Beam-warehouse-filled-with-bourbon-barrels-destroyed-by-fire/?fbclid=IwAR0XJuPEKVNZVeAxraCeQAyfnPiE9M8chdhll9h-dvFFlnDnZ4CvilujvVs

Rye, my Lord, rye?

Bisquik
07-06-2019, 06:22 PM
I usually go for value but the best bourbon I've ever had was Joseph Magnus straight. I usually drink whiskey when available so I don't keep bottles and since the formulation is tightly controlled by federal reg so it's all pretty good. My go to brand for value are Elijah Craig Small batch and Buffalo Trace. Redemption in Indiana also makes great whiskey; I like their Rye.

pdmtong
09-30-2019, 04:48 PM
Plastic to metal and now finally cork
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190930/0ba321e299b0baa52470f60acb67016e.jpg

donevwil
09-30-2019, 05:01 PM
My namesake

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jLQ0kcMGEI0/WVfHsVN7HQI/AAAAAAAABEY/ALgcsqJS940hPo1MT6zK1M4ITVUIhHWQACLcBGAs/s1600/EV12.jpg

Tickdoc
09-30-2019, 08:21 PM
https://live.staticflickr.com/2525/32846896136_a0cf2735ae_b.jpg

Best pic I've seen in a while...thanks for that.

For me, go to is old Forester Original Batch. mmm.
http://whiskeyreviewer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/old-forester-1870.jpg

pdmtong
09-30-2019, 09:52 PM
Best pic I've seen in a while...thanks for that.

For me, go to is old Forester Original Batch. mmm.
http://whiskeyreviewer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/old-forester-1870.jpg

I like the OF1920 as well

flydhest
10-01-2019, 05:51 AM
Just saying ... my son’s name is Booker.

coreyaugustus
10-01-2019, 03:41 PM
For no special occasion: Buffalo Trace
For when I have the fellas over: Four Roses Small Batch
For when I'm feeling special: Four Roses Single Barrel
When I'm out: I try not to be too picky.

scottcw2
10-01-2019, 06:02 PM

What was the verdict on 10 v 17?

Philly4eyes
10-02-2019, 08:54 AM
Another vote for Buffalo Trace. Best in the moderate price range

pdmtong
10-02-2019, 10:39 AM
What was the verdict on 10 v 17?

it would be obvious and too easy to say of course the 17 BUT yes it was the 17. every note of the 10 but richer, smoother and longer finish. Love the 10 all day long until the 17 shows up.

I think the sweet spot for bourbon age is 13-18yo. Of course people go crazy for PVW23 but I like the 15 since the power isn't tamped down by the age.

scottcw2
10-02-2019, 12:37 PM
I think the sweet spot for bourbon age is 13-18yo.

For me, this is true for all whisk(e)y. I prefer Yama 12 to Yama 18. Much past 12 years and the wood starts to take over on the palate.

Notable exceptions are some single malts from Bowmore and Bunnahabhain. I have bottles aged over 25 years that are amazing.

CAAD
10-02-2019, 02:23 PM
Buffalo Trace, Blanton's, and Woodford Reserve. Tried many others but these 3 are available pretty much everywhere. Woodford makes a nice old fashioned.

ojingoh
10-02-2019, 02:27 PM
it would be obvious and too easy to say of course the 17 BUT yes it was the 17. every note of the 10 but richer, smoother and longer finish. Love the 10 all day long until the 17 shows up.

I think the sweet spot for bourbon age is 13-18yo. Of course people go crazy for PVW23 but I like the 15 since the power isn't tamped down by the age.

Keep it to yourself. That 17 ER is sleeper for best bourbon ever. First of the Ancient collection/skinny bottles. Along with Sazerac 18 and Stagg, that's some friggin trio. Shocking to think I used to get that stuff for $60 a bottle.

pdmtong
10-02-2019, 03:58 PM
For me, this is true for all whisk(e)y. I prefer Yama 12 to Yama 18. Much past 12 years and the wood starts to take over on the palate. Notable exceptions are some single malts from Bowmore and Bunnahabhain. I have bottles aged over 25 years that are amazing.
Yam 12 is good but I prefer how the 18 smooths things out. Either way I cant get my head around 12 at $110 and 18 at $400+ if you can even find them since when they were subsidized the prices were more like $45 and 90. If you have a Bunna 25 in the wood box that is an absolutely delicious bottling.
Keep it to yourself. That 17 ER is sleeper for best bourbon ever. First of the Ancient collection/skinny bottles. Along with Sazerac 18 and Stagg, that's some friggin trio. Shocking to think I used to get that stuff for $60 a bottle.
It is shocking. But also there was no reason to back up the truck and buy everyone you could find since even at $60 that was 3x the price of a regular bourbon. Now no one can get those BTAC bottles anymore and when I see them being sold from a collection the prices are $900+. Of the five the one I dont have (nor have tried) is the ER17 so that was the motivation to trade for it and drink it.

pdmtong
10-02-2019, 04:01 PM
Another vote for Buffalo Trace. Best in the moderate price range
I think for moderate price BT has a lot more offerings to enjoy than Heaven Hill etc. Has anyone voted for makers mark Cask Strength? wheated and amped up.

scottcw2
10-02-2019, 05:00 PM
If you have a Bunna 25 in the wood box that is an absolutely delicious bottling.

I have a couple of different 12s, a 16 year Spanish Oak, and a 30 year old.

mg2ride
09-14-2022, 07:01 PM
A year ago I wouldn't drink anything brown. Currently, I can't leave the house without coming home with some bourbon.

World according to Greg:
-of course all the standards are great. Blanton's, Eagle rare, Angel's Envy, Buffalo Trace, etc.

In the low price bourbons Very Old Barton 86 @ $22 per 1/2 gallon is the show stealer. Unfortunately, outside of Kentucky it's hard to find. It's a limited release here in VA. Beyond that I can drink Henry Mckenna and Evan Williams over ice and enjoy it.

Mid price ($30-$40 per 750ml) it's hard to beat Yellowstone or Evan Williams single barrel.

Some underrated $50ish bottles are Bardstown and I.W. Harper Cabernet.

Booker's is the most expensive I have bought to date ($100ish) and is also the best +100 proof I have had to date.

This is what I came home with today. Except for the Henry Mckenna I have not tied any of the others yet.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52358761694_b93686ae49_b.jpg

I also take a shot from any bottle I open (don't repeat daily drinkers) and add it to my infinity bottle. Once it get's 3/4 full I share some it with friends and start adding to again. This is the make up of my bottle.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52358684578_0cb4ea2979_b.jpg

Seramount
09-14-2022, 07:20 PM
I finally ran the course on bourbons...after several years, just got a bit tired of the same ol' vanilla, caramel flavors.

switched over to ryes and find that they offer a more varied range of tastes.

started with Rittenhouse and Sazerac, which are both serviceable and affordable. but, as the palate wanted new adventures have tried LOTS of others.

currently enjoying Pinhook, Willet, Smooth Ambler, Roulette, and 13th Colony.

Bob Ross
09-14-2022, 07:40 PM
A year ago I wouldn't drink anything brown.

We can hang. After a rather disasterous experience with TOO MUCH SCOTCH I went for 40 years (from age 17 to age 57) without touching a single drop of brown liquor.

But right around age 57 some friends turned me on to Manhattans, and now I'm pretty cool with bourbon. Not an aficianado by any stretch, but at least I'll drink it.

I keep a bottle of Makers Mark for the extremely infrequent cocktail at home.

When I'm out on the town I've enjoyed Bulleit and Buffalo Trace.

About a year or so ago I played on an album for an old friend, and I refused to accept payment for my work...so he insisted on paying me in bourbon: Sent me a fifth each of Michters and Four Roses Small Batch Select. I still haven't cracked either bottle. What should I expect?

Turkle
09-14-2022, 07:54 PM
In my house, we drink cheap bourbon, cheap rye, expensive scotch, and expensive brandy. And I gotta tell you something: I wouldn't have it any other way!

(This is not to say that I can't appreciate a great bourbon: what a treat. But you have to prioritize a bit! And I have some brandies over here that have caused some of my bourbon-loving friends to re-think some things!)

glepore
09-14-2022, 08:05 PM
A year ago I wouldn't drink anything brown. Currently, I can't leave the house without coming home with some bourbon.

World according to Greg:
-of course all the standards are great. Blanton's, Eagle rare, Angel's Envy, Buffalo Trace, etc.

In the low price bourbons Very Old Barton 86 @ $22 per 1/2 gallon is the show stealer. Unfortunately, outside of Kentucky it's hard to find. It's a limited release here in VA. Beyond that I can drink Henry Mckenna and Evan Williams over ice and enjoy it.

Mid price ($30-$40 per 750ml) it's hard to beat Yellowstone or Evan Williams single barrel.

Some underrated $50ish bottles are Bardstown and I.W. Harper Cabernet.

Booker's is the most expensive I have bought to date ($100ish) and is also the best +100 proof I have had to date.

This is what I came home with today. Except for the Henry Mckenna I have not tied any of the others yet.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52358761694_b93686ae49_b.jpg

I also take a shot from any bottle I open (don't repeat daily drinkers) and add it to my infinity bottle. Once it get's 3/4 full I share some it with friends and start adding to again. This is the make up of my bottle.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52358684578_0cb4ea2979_b.jpg

Yeah, the situation in Va is nuts. Couple of hot tips-Benchmark is Buffalo Trace mash. Also, Bowman's is a "Virginia" bourbon but they buy their mash from Trace and finish it in Va. The regular is good, the Port Barrel is Angel's Envy like at 15 bucks less. And I prefer the green BIB Evan to the 1783, and its less money.

mg2ride
09-14-2022, 08:40 PM
We can hang. After a rather disasterous experience with TOO MUCH SCOTCH I went for 40 years (from age 17 to age 57) without touching a single drop of brown liquor.

But right around age 57 some friends turned me on to Manhattans, and now I'm pretty cool with bourbon. Not an aficianado by any stretch, but at least I'll drink it.

OMG!! I got sick on a Bottle of Lord Calvert at the Spruil's Pasture Hunt club my last year of High School. Didn't drink anything brown until last fall. I turned 57 in August.

Another meaningless but very unlikely coincidence. My life's full of them.

...About a year or so ago I played on an album for an old friend, and I refused to accept payment for my work...so he insisted on paying me in bourbon: Sent me a fifth each of Michters and Four Roses Small Batch Select. I still haven't cracked either bottle. What should I expect?

Tried Michters once and very much liked it.

None of the Four Roses strike my fancy. Maybe too strong of a taste or too much burn. They have a heavy Japanese influence.

Put them both over ice and let it melt 15 minutes and they will be Great! Dilution is the solution..

RowdyRoadyPiper
09-15-2022, 08:58 AM
Four Roses Small batch is the house bourbon. But lately have been enjoying Stellum Bourbon. Hard to say smooth when something is 115 proof, but with a cube it's nice. IMO...GREAT $50 bottle.

pdonk
09-15-2022, 10:08 AM
Just looking at our inventory spreadsheet(that needs to be updated), here is what we have currently at the house:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof
Barrel Bourbon
Hudson Baby Bourbon Whiskey
Hudson Four Grain Bourbon Whiskey
Few
Basil Hayden's
Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel
Four Roses Small Batch
Bernheim Original Small Batch Wheat Whiskey
Woodford Reserve
Try Box Corn New Make
Blanton's Gold Edition
Blanton's Single Barrel Special Reserve (Green Label)
Blanton's Single Barrel (Yellow Label)
Widow Jane 7 Year Old
Parker's Promise of Hope
White Dog Mash #1
King's County Distillery Bourbon
Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch
WL Weller 12 Year Straight Kentucky Bourbon
Weller Antique 107
Fighting Cock
Koval Single Barrel Bourbon
Balcones

There are likely more, as the inventory sheet needs to be updated. Funny thing, I have pretty much stopped drinking some of these bottles have not been opened in at least 3 years, if not longer.

I have also moved onto tequila/mezcal/sotol as my preferred spirit.

jtakeda
09-15-2022, 10:15 AM
In my house, we drink cheap bourbon, cheap rye, expensive scotch, and expensive brandy. And I gotta tell you something: I wouldn't have it any other way!

(This is not to say that I can't appreciate a great bourbon: what a treat. But you have to prioritize a bit! And I have some brandies over here that have caused some of my bourbon-loving friends to re-think some things!)

Have you had the bourbons and ryes made by Germain Robin's former distiller?

Some of the ryes are aged in GR barrels and are amazing.

mendocino spirits, check em out

Spaghetti Legs
09-15-2022, 11:57 AM
I’m fairly new to the world of bourbon exploration but Makers Mark 46 (French Oak casked) is a favorite.

T-Crush
09-15-2022, 08:28 PM
The "house bourbon" for the adults, Four Roses for the kids (all 30+).

pdmtong
09-16-2022, 04:02 PM
The "house bourbon" for the adults, Four Roses for the kids (all 30+).

That SR i supposed to be $23 but is $100 IF YOU CAN FIND IT around here. 107 is $200, 12 is $300

Theres a CYPB on the shelf at the local liquor store for $750.

Ive had to reset my dailies.

Basically it's now down to 2 since these can be generally found without issue

Four Roses Small Batch Select

New Riff single barrell

crankles
09-16-2022, 06:35 PM
been really enjoying Barrel Seagrass I picked up at a costco of all places. ....finished in Rum, Madiera and Apricot Brandy. Sadly, it's no more at costco aand BevMo wants $20 more....Grrrr.

Jeff N.
09-16-2022, 06:57 PM
Maker's Mark.

T-Crush
09-16-2022, 08:19 PM
Weller's at BottleBuzz - Green label Special Reserve for $59.99

I've ordered from them with no issues.

FierteTi52
09-18-2022, 07:59 AM
I’m fairly new to the world of bourbon exploration but Makers Mark 46 (French Oak casked) is a favorite.
+1, just finishing a bottle, definitely a woody oak stave taste, although not as woody as Jim Beam Devil’s Cut.

mg2ride
09-18-2022, 10:24 AM

You twisted my Arm. The 4 coaster gift set was $1 cheaper than just the bottle.

My issue is that I might keep it for a while in case I need a decent gift for someone. However, I really want to see the leather coasters before I decide to give it away. I don't want to open the box but kind find pics anywhere.:help:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52366798314_b3a67a7ebf_b.jpg

jimoots
09-18-2022, 07:35 PM
This thread (now a few years old) revived an interest I had in bourbon, and over the course of a few years (I don't drink much) I've sampled:

- Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack
- Blantons Single Barrel Reserve
- Knob Creek Small Batch
- Woodford Reserve
- Makers Mark Kentucky Straight
- Buffalo Trace

All are very drinkable, if I had to pick it would be Blantons with a very close second (and much cheaper) Buffalo Trace. I actually was gifted the Buffalo Trace and only discovered the price as I'd forgotten the name and was looking through a booze retailer's website to jog my memory.

Still to go is Basil Hayden and Elijah Craig... and now catching up on a few posts, Old Weller has piqued my interest!

pdmtong
09-19-2022, 01:13 AM
been really enjoying Barrel Seagrass I picked up at a costco of all places. ....finished in Rum, Madiera and Apricot Brandy. Sadly, it's no more at costco aand BevMo wants $20 more....Grrrr.

yea, it's $80 locally

culler763
10-03-2022, 11:56 AM
Larceny Barrel strength.

culler763
10-03-2022, 11:57 AM
Available once a quarter.....

pdonk
10-03-2022, 12:01 PM
The quarterly liquor auction was held recently.

Some crazy prices realized, even for common items
https://www.waddingtons.ca/auction/fine-spirits-sep-20-2022/print/

And less available item
https://www.waddingtons.ca/auction/fine-spirits-sep-20-2022/gallery/lot/245/

Wishing I had not opened and enjoyed my bottle of Old Rip....

Tony T
10-03-2022, 12:10 PM
If you’re in the Hudson Valley.
https://coppersea.com/
and
https://www.hudsonwhiskey.com/en-US/
(Hudson Whiskey also distributes. They were better before the sell out 5 yrs ago https://www.whisky.com/information/news/newsdetail/glenfiddich-owner-william-grant-sons-buys-hudson-whiskey-distillery-tuthilltown.html)

I always pick up a bottle (or two) from each each year.

robt57
10-03-2022, 12:15 PM
Opps, posted in wrong thread. But will leave it anyway...

I never got into the high end Bourbons and quite drinking before I got to it. #quiter
I did run what passed for high end Schoth gambit before quitting. Upside being all my bikes together coast way less than the yearly drinking costs added up over 14 years since I quit. ;)

This thread (now a few years old) revived an interest I had in bourbon

It revived my interest in:

Oval Master GEO. Putting me totally on topic for a change... EDIT' had I posted it in the right thread that is... :confused:

Come on coffee, kick in...

http://classicrendezvous.com/images/Italian/Colnago/Colnag5L.gif

I will suffer along with my WX-02 Extreme Power...

ScottW
10-03-2022, 03:59 PM

What the what.
Was the "buyer's premium" 150%?
<checks buyer's premium, nope it's 20%>
Has the Canadian dollar devalued to the level of the French Franc?
<checks exchange rate, nope that doesn't explain it either>
Should I quit my ****ing job and start a new career shipping whiskey to Canada?
This is almost enough to make me stop drinking what I've got. Almost, but not quite.

Slamcarneyson
10-03-2022, 04:39 PM

And less available item
https://www.waddingtons.ca/auction/fine-spirits-sep-20-2022/gallery/lot/245/

Wishing I had not opened and enjoyed my bottle of Old Rip....

This is INSANITY

donevwil
10-03-2022, 04:42 PM
Local and delicious.

https://www.barberleespirits.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Bourbon-375.png

mmiller76
10-03-2022, 10:53 PM
Can’t got wrong with RR single barrel. IMO.

dgauthier
10-03-2022, 11:24 PM
This is INSANITY

Yes, it is insanity, especially since one could pick up the 15 year old Pappy Van Winkle on any store shelf for $60-70 in the '90's. I used to buy it fairly often.

One year the wifey spent $200 for the 20 year old as a birthday present. It tasted a bit "over-aged" and wasn't as good as the 15 year, so I told her not to get it again as it wasn't worth it. So I find the current prices amusing to say the least.

After buying Pappy for $70 for so long there's no way I would spend hundreds, let alone thousands, for a bottle. It's a perfectly good bourbon, but it's no match for the good 14-16 year old single malts you can pick up anywhere for less than $100.