PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to Dave Kirk

MattTuck
04-01-2017, 06:47 PM
well, I've got about 10,000 miles on my Kirk terraplane. Been riding mostly 25mm tires, but sometimes 23 and sometimes 28. Decided to give 32mm tires a try this year. Jumped on the recent deal that had gravel kings for $29. Wasn't sure they'd fit. Just mounted them up and they fit no problem.

I never specified Dave to design around 32mm tires. In fact, if he had asked me during the process, I might have said no because I thought it was too big and would never ride tires that large on a road bike. Instead, he asked about what kinds of roads I ride on, and the type of riding I'd like to do. He designed this bike so well that I am still being impressed 10,000 miles later.

Thanks Dave.

pbarry
04-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Forward thinking by a builder who is responsive to a customer and the riding style trends. Not that DK is trendy, he's paying attention. :beer:

Clean39T
04-01-2017, 07:25 PM
well, I've got about 10,000 miles on my Kirk terraplane. Been riding mostly 25mm tires, but sometimes 23 and sometimes 28. Decided to give 32mm tires a try this year. Jumped on the recent deal that had gravel kings for $29. Wasn't sure they'd fit. Just mounted them up and they fit no problem.

I never specified Dave to design around 32mm tires. In fact, if he had asked me during the process, I might have said no because I thought it was too big and would never ride tires that large on a road bike. Instead, he asked about what kinds of roads I ride on, and the type of riding I'd like to do. He designed this bike so well that I am still being impressed 10,000 miles later.

Thanks Dave.

Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattTuck
04-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Of the newly mounted tires? or the bike in general?
thread with pics from when I first got it. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=129808&highlight=kirk)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-l7Q-EwEb4Ck/UZVBEClZOEI/AAAAAAAAC0o/T6kFx_-yONw/w958-h573-no/IMAG0178.jpg

donevwil
04-01-2017, 08:07 PM
After the dust has settled we often realize it is all about the details. Let that determine your next builder and you'll be one happy customer. From every bike, review, pic and forum post I've seen David Kirk takes as much pride in the details as he does in any other aspect of frame building.

Top of the short list for sure, we'll see.

charliedid
04-01-2017, 08:36 PM
Smart guy that Dave.

stephenmarklay
04-01-2017, 09:10 PM
One day I hope to be able to get one. Beautiful…

Funny thing I was riding today thinking the single most important change in cycling in the last 20 or so year is the change to lower pressures that came with wider rims and wider tires. I think it trumps, carbon, discs etc. It has even given fuel the gravel resurgence and made my riding much more enjoyable.

Having modern steel hand crafted bike that can do it all is awesome.

I can fit 28mm in my CSI and at 75/85 it is bliss.

David Kirk
04-03-2017, 08:41 AM
So happy to see that your bike continues to do its job of making you smile. Enjoy the ride!

Thanks for the support.

dave

Keith A
04-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Stolen from Dave Kirk's Facebook page...
It was an honor to talk with Diane Jenks of the Outspoken Cyclist this past week and her podcast went live over the weekend. You can hear the interview here...
http://www.wjcu.org/files/audio/shows/outspokencyclist/wjcu-the_outspoken_cyclist_2017-04-01.mp3