PDA

View Full Version : shoes...

fogrider
03-31-2017, 10:49 PM
So who here rides their road bike with mountain shoes? My old mountain shoes fell apart and just got some new ones with the boa system and they are crazy light and overall pretty sweet...

pdmtong
03-31-2017, 10:53 PM
So who here rides their road bike with mountain shoes? My old mountain shoes fell apart and just got some new ones with the boa system and they are crazy light and overall pretty sweet...

you discovered the secret...if you use mtb pedals on road get a crazy light high end mtb shoe.

...that's why I have a pair of s-works XC shoes...for the days I ride with daughter across the GGB to tiburon and ferry back.

melac1
03-31-2017, 10:55 PM
I personally ride mtb shoes/pedals for everything. I just like being able to walk around in the shoes when I'm off the bike.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

vqdriver
03-31-2017, 11:11 PM
Current xc shoes and pedals make it a very nice combo.
Stupid stiff carbon mtb shoes have all but eliminated hot spots for me with spds. And pedals nowadays are not much heavier than road at

Cornfed
03-31-2017, 11:23 PM
That's all I use when I'm touring. Nice to be able to walk around and in and out of places.

dbnm
03-31-2017, 11:29 PM
I rode Crank Bros titanium eggbeaters with Shimano XC90 shoes. Killer combo.

shovelhd
04-01-2017, 07:56 AM
Subscribed.

When I commuted, I rode Eggbeaters with Specialized Comp MTB shoes. They were just OK. My knees are addicted to Zeros. It's not just the float, which the Eggbeaters have, it's the ability to lock the rotation of my feet out of parallel with the crankarms. Are there any pedals that would fit an MTB shoe that have this functionality? I would gladly move towards a more recreational shoe but this is a big limitation. They would also need to fit narrow feet and especially a narrow heel, and preferably have BOA fasteners. I don't think this kind of pedal/shoe combo exists.

estilley
04-01-2017, 08:45 AM
Mountain shoes on the rain/winter bike. Haven't touched my roadies with this winter we're having out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

572cv
04-01-2017, 09:29 AM
I've used Sidi MTB shoes on the road, on the gravel, everywhere, for years. It just makes sense if you aren't racing. Plus, with a good footbed, very comfortable both on and off the bike.

biker72
04-01-2017, 09:39 AM

I've been using Shimano SPD's with Sidi or Specialized MTB shoes for years.

moobikes
04-01-2017, 09:57 AM
MTB shoes are great. Walk everywhere easier, especially greasy/ slick floors in rest stop "restaurants" or bathrooms.

John H.
04-01-2017, 11:14 AM
I think newer style mtb shoes with carbon soles re every bit as nice as a good road shoe.
But to me, the weak part of the system is the pedal.
I have yet to find an mtb pedal that is dead silent- especially at higher cadences.
I have used Time, Crank Bros., and Shimano SPD. They all tend to creak a bit (after they wear in).
The jaws of the pedals don't interface as tightly with the cleat, and the shoe rubber rubs against the pedal.

Doesn't mean it can't work though.

bshell
04-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Check out D2 shoes. Don could probably make anything you want as far as soles/drilling/closures. Not to mention the custom lasts/widths/footbeds, etc. you'd be getting.

Hilltopperny
04-01-2017, 01:28 PM
I'm making the switch. I already have on my bad weather and cross bikes, but after a fall earlier this week I'm going to be switching out the remaining two bikes to frogs and use my xc shoes for them as well. I need to be able to walk while off the bike on a ride and road shoes just aren't cutting it these days.

scoobydrew
04-01-2017, 01:35 PM
I made the switch to using MTB shoes on my road bikes a long time ago, and not looking back. Using the Time ATAC system.

Have been using Sidi Dominator 5 for a while and they're getting worn out. I've been looking at some of the Giro shoes, like the VR70. I love the Sidis but looking for a change. Any recommendations?

mistermo
04-01-2017, 03:02 PM
I made the switch to using MTB shoes on my road bikes a long time ago, and not looking back. Using the Time ATAC system.

This!! Since many rides end up at an establishment that offers malted beverages, I too made the switch. Sidis with ATAC. I willfully violate Rule #34.

madsciencenow
04-01-2017, 03:30 PM
I don't do this but can imagine my shimano xc90 mtb shoes would be a great option as they are quite comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSTRider
04-01-2017, 03:35 PM
Have been riding MTB shoes on road bikes forever ... rationale: i train for and ride multi-day tours and don't race anymore (ok, may enter a random road/mtb race); ride about 40% on a tandem where MTB shoe tread is essential for balancing bike/stoker at stops (she stays clipped in unless dismounting); i ride about another 20% off-road on mtb or cyclocross bikes. So when i purchase a new pair of MTB shoes, it's an immediate upgrade across the fleet. And while others may take exception, i don't feel handicapped when jamming with a bunch of roadies on a group ride.

Shoe/pedal set-ups:
Shoes: Lake MX237 (https://www.backcountry.com/lake-mx237-shoe-mens?CMP_SKU=LKC000H&MER=0406&skid=LKC000H-BLA-S43REG&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&mr:trackingCode=586CA6C9-BCC2-E311-9C6B-BC305BF82376&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&gclid=Cj0KEQjwn_3GBRDc8rCnup-1x8wBEiQAdw3OAdF6xV8fXvrBshz4c3HLdUB2CawhvEr-9brwhKWkf0QaAo_w8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds) & SPD cleats - leather uppers, double boas, full carbon soles, and available in wide widths
Road & cross bike pedals: Shimano A600 pedals
MTB and tandems: XT/XTR trail pedals (easy to enter under load)

Bradford
04-01-2017, 11:49 PM
Road shoes should be called race shoes and mountain shoes should be called cycling shoes. Then we would all wear sensible shoes when we ride.

I switched a few years ago because I rode three bikes regularly and had two pedal systems. I didn't want to keep buying two different types of shoes. It has been better for me in every way and I can't imagine ever going back to road shoes. Frankly, I forget there is another kind of cycling shoe until a thread like this comes up.

genbar
04-02-2017, 12:19 AM
I'm an SPD shoe/pedal user myself. I have flat feet and I've never bought top-of-the-line shoes. Out of all the shoes I've had, my Mavic Pulse and Giro Carbides/Privateers have been the bomb.com

fogrider
04-02-2017, 02:35 AM
Road shoes should be called race shoes and mountain shoes should be called cycling shoes. Then we would all wear sensible shoes when we ride.

I switched a few years ago because I rode three bikes regularly and had two pedal systems. I didn't want to keep buying two different types of shoes. It has been better for me in every way and I can't imagine ever going back to road shoes. Frankly, I forget there is another kind of cycling shoe until a thread like this comes up.

I think the main reason I like road shoes is the wide contact point for long rides. My rides in the dirt are usually 30 miles or less...I should try the spds on a road ride...

shovelhd
04-02-2017, 07:03 AM
Do any of these off road pedals have a float locking function like the Zeros?

GScot
04-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Do any of these off road pedals have a float locking function like the Zeros?

I think that is available on the new Speedplay SYZR. I was looking at a set in the LBS last week. Didn't have them get them out of the case but could see limit screws in the cleat. Read up on them as opinions I've seen caution they may be great for touring or long non-technical gravel events they are not good for off road riding where some finesse on the pedals is required due to unwanted release to the front. My understanding is they do offer a rock solid quiet interface so they may still be the right pedal for some occasions.

oliver
04-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Have been using Sidi Dominator 5 for a while and they're getting worn out. I've been looking at some of the Giro shoes, like the VR70. I love the Sidis but looking for a change. Any recommendations?

I switched from sidi dominator 5 to giro vr90s, size 42 to size 43. I like them.

adrien
04-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Have been riding MTB shoes on road bikes forever ... rationale: i train for and ride multi-day tours and don't race anymore (ok, may enter a random road/mtb race); ride about 40% on a tandem where MTB shoe tread is essential for balancing bike/stoker at stops (she stays clipped in unless dismounting); i ride about another 20% off-road on mtb or cyclocross bikes. So when i purchase a new pair of MTB shoes, it's an immediate upgrade across the fleet. And while others may take exception, i don't feel handicapped when jamming with a bunch of roadies on a group ride.

Shoe/pedal set-ups:
Shoes: Lake MX237 (https://www.backcountry.com/lake-mx237-shoe-mens?CMP_SKU=LKC000H&MER=0406&skid=LKC000H-BLA-S43REG&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&mr:trackingCode=586CA6C9-BCC2-E311-9C6B-BC305BF82376&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&gclid=Cj0KEQjwn_3GBRDc8rCnup-1x8wBEiQAdw3OAdF6xV8fXvrBshz4c3HLdUB2CawhvEr-9brwhKWkf0QaAo_w8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds) & SPD cleats - leather uppers, double boas, full carbon soles, and available in wide widths
Road & cross bike pedals: Shimano A600 pedals
MTB and tandems: XT/XTR trail pedals (easy to enter under load)

+ 1 on the Lake shoes. Fantastic.