PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless alternatives to Compass 700x35?

dem
03-31-2017, 06:37 PM
About to pull off my 700x38 Triggers and put on summer adventuring tires and my rear Compass is lookin' pretty worn, and the sidewalls have always been a sealant weeping mess. Thought I'd order a replacement as the default but they're OOS.

Also when I "accidentally" (ok on purpose) inflated to 65 psi they blew off the rim with a bang.. which seems a bit of a narrow margin of error.

So what else is there in near-slick, supple, light (BJP is 355g) tubeless 700x35ish tires I should consider?

sparky33
03-31-2017, 07:16 PM
The Hutchinson Overide (http://www.hutchinsontires.com/us/cyclocross/tire/overide-new-standard) 700x35 looks promising.

I've used the Hutchinson Black Mamba CX 700x34 file tread for a bit and think it is the most supple and dependable tubeless tire I've tried, approaching Compass goodness. I was delighted with the news of the semi-slick gravel Overide in 35 and 38 widths. The weights are low (375g), suggesting that it isn't overbuilt and probably has a very excellent ride like the Black Mamba CX.

http://www.veloderoute.com/photos/news/zooms/072ac958d276cc3176ea7cf7b48ffe9c147307219073.jpgon the left

fwiw I wanted to like the Schwalbe G-One 35, but it's a crazy stiff tire with a treat pattern that acts as a magnet for grit.

dem
03-31-2017, 07:34 PM
I'm skeptical of anything with significant tread - I wish I could get over it, maybe it doesn't really matter and it is all in my head? It just looks like less rubber on the road.

Or I should really stop railing descents.. but I do. The Specialized Triggers were definitely sketchy at velocity (40-50 mph descents with switchbacks, etc.)

Whatever tires are on the bike are going to tackle a bunch of the most challenging and remote climbs in the USA, so I am looking to feel good about them.

The Hutchinson Sectors come in 700x32 @ 315g, maybe I have to give up some of the plush for security on descents.

thermalattorney
04-01-2017, 09:18 AM
That's a bummer to hear the Triggers got squirrelly at speed, I had been meaning to try them.

The 28mm Sector is an excellent tire, so I assume the 32mm is more of a good thing.

Rode the 28s @ 80psi on a tour through the White Mountains of NH and they were excellent at those speeds, even while rolling over crap pavement. Saw a lot of rain that trip and can say that wet grip is also pretty good.

sonicCows
04-01-2017, 10:56 AM
heard good things about the Specialized Roubaix Pro 2BR (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/equipment/components/tires/roubaix-pro-2br/117733), also Schwalbe G-One Speed. Both options are 30c

.RJ
04-01-2017, 11:06 AM
I'm happy with my Clement MSO - http://clementcycling.com/xplor-mso

A little tread, but handle road/gravel/singletrack all just fine and are good tubeless. Maybe a little overkill for only road riding, but, so is a 35mm slick.

The Maxxis refuse might be a good choice, also tubeless and 32mm

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-511-136-re-fuse

weisan
04-01-2017, 11:17 AM
heard good things about the Specialized Roubaix Pro 2BR (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/equipment/components/tires/roubaix-pro-2br/117733), also Schwalbe G-One Speed. Both options are 30c

I ran the Specialized Roubaix on a bikepacking trip. It's really nice, fast rolling and a bit of thread for extra traction and cross terrain versatility. I got them in May last year when Specialized would run their annual discount program, buy one get one free, so it only cost me $40 for both tires. I would buy again if they run the promotion this year.

dem
04-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys - that Re-Fuse also looks like an option.

No criticism of the Triggers - I think anything with side knobs is going to be sketchy at speed when leaned over.

Also I find 700x35 great on the road - more than that and things get a little too squishy for me.

But 700x32 Refuse or Sector could be in the running to try out!

YesNdeed
04-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Or I should really stop railing descents.. but I do. The Specialized Triggers were definitely sketchy at velocity (40-50 mph descents with switchbacks, etc.)

Uhh, dude? It sounds like they held up rather well, considering their size and tread composition, at that velocity. My 700x33 Triggers measure to 36mm wide on Pacenti SL23s.

The ride is not what I would consider supple, but I would't even try to descend as hard as I have on these (@ 50 PSI) with other cross tires with more tread, on pavement (does 5K' over 12 miles, plenty of tight switchbacks count?). I, maybe, reached 40 MPH. Rider size/weight may make the difference.

DRZRM
04-01-2017, 11:05 PM
I ride the Maxxis Refuse 32 tubeless, and they feel pretty good. Likely less supple that the Compass, but my gravel ride goes up 9 miles on dirt and back down about the same distance on pavement and I'll drive them into corners pretty hard. There are places on the dirt climbs I wish I had a bit more tread, but given the decent, I think this is a good all around tire.

Heisenberg
04-03-2017, 12:26 PM
The Refuse are quite heavy and ride like dumptruck tires compared to the BJP.

What rim were you using where they blew off? But yeah, 65 is a little silly-high for those tires. The amount of force that would exert on a bead is pretty high, but they shouldn't blow off.

sandyrs
04-03-2017, 12:40 PM

What rim were you using where they blew off? But yeah, 65 is a little silly-high for those tires. The amount of force that would exert on a bead is pretty high, but they shouldn't blow off.

I think the bead was updated but the first version of BJP had an explicit pressure limit of 65 because of exactly what OP experienced. I think the issue was more that sometimes the pressure required to get the tire to seat fully exceeded 65 psi. I believe the limit is now 90.

AlanKHG
04-03-2017, 01:06 PM
My Strada LGGs in 700x32 measure 35mm wide on a WTB i19 rim and ride very nicely (I also have Compasses in 700x32 and they ride maybe only slightly less nicely)— so the tubeless Strada USH might meet your desire:
http://clementcycling.com/strada-ush

Heisenberg
04-03-2017, 02:44 PM
I think the bead was updated but the first version of BJP had an explicit pressure limit of 65 because of exactly what OP experienced. I think the issue was more that sometimes the pressure required to get the tire to seat fully exceeded 65 psi. I believe the limit is now 90.

Yeah. I talked with Jan about running something like the Stampede Pass tubeless (which it isn't - unlike the CURRENT Bon Jon Pass), and he told me explicitly not to go over 65psi.

I've run/and seen plenty (15+ pair) of the current tubeless-ready BJP tubeless without any bead issues, fwiw. They're a bitch to seat, though.

Heisenberg
04-03-2017, 02:45 PM
My Strada LGGs in 700x32 measure 35mm wide on a WTB i19 rim and ride very nicely (I also have Compasses in 700x32 and they ride maybe only slightly less nicely)— so the tubeless Strada USH might meet your desire:
http://clementcycling.com/strada-ush

I hate to be the guy in the thread that pisses on everything, but the Strada USH are bad. They roll like **** on pavement, cut easily, and don't hook up particularly well off-road.

dem
04-03-2017, 04:21 PM

Light-bicycle carbon rims, hooked bead. Didn't have an issue after dropping under 60 PSI, but still a little disconcerting.

Went ahead and bought a set of the 700x32 Sectors - I'll report back after I get them mounted up.

Heisenberg
04-03-2017, 05:02 PM
Light-bicycle carbon rims, hooked bead. Didn't have an issue after dropping under 60 PSI, but still a little disconcerting.

Went ahead and bought a set of the 700x32 Sectors - I'll report back after I get them mounted up.

Yeah...try the new tubeless versions for sure.

Sectors are solid. I did burp one of the 28s, but the 32s have always intrigued.

rwerkudara
04-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Don't want to derail the thread but ordered a set of BJP recently and there seem to be some slight changes. Darker navy logo, stiffer bead(slightly harder to mount) and slightly heavier. Wonder if the sidewall mess you mentioned has been resolved? I haven't gone tubeless yet on them yet.

lukeheller
04-03-2017, 09:43 PM
I'm running the standard casing tubeless with Orange Sealant w/o issue at 60psi. No weaping sealant. I believe I read Jan recommend the orange sealant for the initial seal on the EL casing as it seal better?

Here's a pic: https://instagram.com/p/BQT00r5Fzzn/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColonelJLloyd
04-03-2017, 09:49 PM
If you have the room for a true 38mm. . . https://www.instagram.com/p/BScjOOAB3yv/?taken-by=compasscycle

dem
04-04-2017, 07:38 AM
I was using OrangeSeal, I can tell because of all the orange streaking on the sidewalls.. :)

The weeping seems to be pretty random. I have a buddy who had one tire weep, and one tire not.. he got a replacement and it was 50% better.. but still not as good as the non-weeping tire.

Of course, none of these tires have a sealing "butyl layer" like a true Tubeless Ready tire (and the associated +100 grams and extra rolling resistance) so I don't really have a legitimate complaint.

sparky33
04-04-2017, 08:20 AM
If you have the room for a true 38mm. . . https://www.instagram.com/p/BScjOOAB3yv/?taken-by=compasscycle

yeah, that's awesome. Here's hoping Jan will make the Babyshoe Pass tubeless also.

ripvanrando
04-04-2017, 09:15 AM
Don't want to derail the thread but ordered a set of BJP recently and there seem to be some slight changes. Darker navy logo, stiffer bead(slightly harder to mount) and slightly heavier. Wonder if the sidewall mess you mentioned has been resolved? I haven't gone tubeless yet on them yet.

Glad they apparently fixed the problem that I reported many times in Spring, Summer, and Fall last year without response, I might add.

I blew one BJP off tubeless at 65 psi. Some of them also did not hold air worth a damn on different rims using plenty or Orange sealant (need to put air in every 4-6 hours). The casings ruptured twice on me thru the tread with tubes running well below rated pressure. Running over a rather small rock on paved road.....immediate pressure loss. Two tires. On TABR.

My alternative to 700x35 tubeless? Sorry if off topic....

Back to latex tubes with orange seal. Vittoria 700x28 run 32 mm and are faster and as comfortable and far more reliable.

sandyrs
04-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Glad they apparently fixed the problem that I reported many times in Spring, Summer, and Fall last year without response, I might add.

I blew one BJP off tubeless at 65 psi. Some of them also did not hold air worth a damn on different rims using plenty or Orange sealant (need to put air in every 4-6 hours). The casings ruptured twice on me thru the tread with tubes running well below rated pressure. Running over a rather small rock on paved road.....immediate pressure loss. Two tires. On TABR.

My alternative to 700x35 tubeless? Sorry if off topic....

Back to latex tubes with orange seal. Vittoria 700x28 run 32 mm and are faster and as comfortable and far more reliable.

When you put orange seal in latex tubes do they hold air for longer? That's my only concern about running latex tubes.

Side note in case anyone's considering the Hutchinson Black Mamba CX tires tubeless: I've had two blow off the rim with a snapped bead (i.e. the tire was rendered useless) when I brought it up to about 70 psi... which I needed to do to get the tire to seat fully. I'm guessing there's a way around this that people who've used these tires successfully can share, but I figured I'd put my experience out there.

bmeryman
04-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Lots of folks around me running Clements of some variety tubeless. I just mounted up a set of WTB Exposure in 700x34 and I've been enjoying the heck out of them. They roll fast, but my guess is the shoulders are a bit knobbier than you're looking for.

ripvanrando
04-04-2017, 06:31 PM
When you put orange seal in latex tubes do they hold air for longer? That's my only concern about running latex tubes.

Yes. I did have to add air once during PBP. I normally add air every ride as a habit. The lower rolling resistance, better flat resistance, and improved comfort is a small price to pay for 20 strokes of the pump compared to butyl tubes.

All my other tubeless tires hold air for a long time.

dem
04-19-2017, 07:43 AM
Well, mounted up the Hutchinson Sector 700x32.. and they are way undersized. :(

On 18 mm ID rims, they are barely over 30 mm wide (30.3) after sitting with tubes at 90 PSI overnight. This is probably close to what you'd get with a GP4000 in 700x28. Super bummer. I was hoping they would be closer to 33 or 34 on the "wider" rim. Maybe they'll get bigger with some riding, but I am not optimistic.

I'll ride them this summer since it's almost all pavement, but too small for extended off road work.

Hopefully the big boys get on the big-slick trend, as of right now there does not appear to be a viable tubeless option between "garden hose touring tire" and "fragile Compass tire"

Gartenmeister
04-20-2017, 12:11 AM
I just noticed this thread.

Coincidentally I recently acquired a pair of Compass BJP Extralight. No problems seating, zero sealant weeping, inflated to 80 psi/tubeless with no issue, hammered on them on gravel today (~40 psi) and they did great. Velocity A23/Stans tape.

If they had issues before, they seem not to now.

1X10
04-20-2017, 03:34 AM
I have been running the Maxxis Rambler in the 700x40 tubeless on Belgium+...

I have had no issues running anywhere between high 20's to 40 PSI

It measures more like a 38 and it clears well on my cross rig..

I believe it comes in a 35

However this may be a bit too much tread for your liking...

Heisenberg
04-20-2017, 10:39 AM
I just noticed this thread.

Coincidentally I recently acquired a pair of Compass BJP Extralight. No problems seating, zero sealant weeping, inflated to 80 psi/tubeless with no issue, hammered on them on gravel today (~40 psi) and they did great. Velocity A23/Stans tape.

If they had issues before, they seem not to now.

This. Maybe it's because I only have experience with the current generation, but I've utterly brutalized a set of Snoqualmie Pass (44s) and Bon Jon Pass without any issue/flats. I ride a lot, and like a bull in a china shop. I break ****, often.

Just about to do the same with a set of the 650B Switchback Hill in an extralight casing. We'll see how they stack up.

dougefresh
04-20-2017, 10:43 AM
I've been on a set of the new Clement Strada USH Tubeless tires. Really liking them. They are called out as 32s but measure 34 on the Stan's Crest rims they are on. Running at about 55psi. No issues, and they inflated and seated with a floor pump.

John H.
04-20-2017, 12:04 PM
If you don't like knobs- Schwable G One in 700x35 might be good for you.
They are a nice road-ish gravel tire.

For knobs- the WTB Riddler 700x37 works really well.

cachagua
04-21-2017, 02:40 AM
Does anybody else use Continental SpeedRides? They're barely bigger than Bon Jons, just 38-39mm on a Belgium rim even though they're marked 700X42. Lightweight and supple, versatile tread, I like everything about 'em -- but I use 'em with tubes, so I don't know if they'd be an option.

dem
04-21-2017, 07:39 AM
A little bit of thread wander, but here's what I'd consider the list of things that would qualify as an alternative to Compass for me:

1) Slick or nearly slick for road carving confidence (no more than a light texture) and not much larger than 35-39. I find things get too squishy for me on the road beyond that
2) 35ish mm in true volume for hammering over chunky rocks, small roots and very unmaintained 2 track (think 2 to 3 inches of chunk)
3) Tubeless for pinch flat and puncture sealing
4) Relatively light weight and high TPI but with some sidewall protection, grippy fast rubber

The Maxxis Re-fuse seems to come the closest, but 60 tpi and reports of it riding like a dump truck. :) If Hutchinson comes out with an actual 700x35 Sector, that would tick the boxes for me.

Compass has made very specific design choices, and good for them - I'll probably remount my BJPs and ride them down once I'm back to local-only rides.

xeladragon
05-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Bumping this. I like my BJPs, but I wouldn't mind some more traction for the occasional rougher stuff. The Maxxis Rambler looks interesting. Or maybe the WTB Riddler. A coworker of mine really likes the Compass Steilacoom, although that seems a bit overkill as most of my mileage on my all-road bike is still on paved roads.

12snap
05-09-2017, 03:46 PM
I've been using the Hutchinson Overide in 35c and I like it. Almost slick center section than increases in "knobbyness" as you get to the shoulder of the tire. Measures true to size and relatively lightweight.

DrSpoke
05-09-2017, 06:42 PM
If you don't like knobs- Schwable G One in 700x35 might be good for you.
They are a nice road-ish gravel tire.

For knobs- the WTB Riddler 700x37 works really well.

I really like the Schwalbe line of tubeless tires. I've used the Pro-One @ 23c & 25c on my road bike. And I've used the Pro-One @ 28c, the (old) S-One @ 30c and the G-One @ 35c on my gravel bike. Generally they install easily, by hand, and have inflated with a floor pump though I've had to wrestle w/a couple of them. The 30c is my go to tire for mixed road/trail but I like the 28c for more road oriented courses and the 35c for more trail oriented courses. The knobs are quite small and the rubber compound seems pretty soft so they have great grip on pavement and quiet.

dem
06-15-2017, 10:37 AM
The search continues, but some updates:

In addition to the Sector 700x32 being undersized (30.5 mm on 19 mm ID rim) after hammering them for a few hundred miles across bumpy rocks and dirt, they are cracking at the joint of the tread and sidewall. No flats or leaks, but I'd cross these off as a potential gravel/adventure tire.

A friend just built up a rig with the Specialized Pro TR 700/30-32, and they look much better: They measure 35 mm on a 20.7 ID rims, so likely would measure a solid 33 on the 19mm ID.

That's getting closer to a "perfect" tire for me.

dem
10-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Officially on Panaracer's page: 700x38 tubeless slick Gravelking! The search may be over!

Hopefully good availability by spring time.

https://www.panaracer.com/lineup/gravel.html

shoota
10-17-2017, 04:53 PM
Officially on Panaracer's page: 700x38 tubeless slick Gravelking! The search may be over!

Hopefully good availability by spring time.

https://www.panaracer.com/lineup/gravel.html

Yeah as long as they are really 38 once mounted. My GK SKs 40c are more like 43c on 24mm ID rims.

weisan
10-17-2017, 05:05 PM
Life is good.

yetitotheheady
10-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Ill second the WTB Exposure series of tires.

Exposure 30 are actual 32's on 18mm id rim
Exposure 34 seem dead on 34 on 18mm id rim

jwess1234
10-18-2017, 12:09 PM
I'll endorse this as well. Changed my attitude towards tires capable of both road and easy trails/gravel.

There was a similar looking tire by another manufacturer I recall seeing on bikerumor.com a while back (that is slick center, small side knobs, high volume) that also looked good. Maybe someone here recalls the name.

sparky33
10-18-2017, 01:10 PM
Would anyone like to buy a set of reasonably priced Hutchinson Override 35s?...see Classifieds. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=211279) Negligible miles, look new, still showing the little rubber hairs.

These are great multi-surface tires with easy tubeless set up. Though I'm switching to something from my cx clincher bin for the next few months.

ergott
10-18-2017, 02:17 PM
FYI

I spoke with Panaracer USA about tubeless. They have to update the sidewalls, but currently all Gravel Kings from 32mm and up (700) and all 650b are tubeless. I just sold a few sets of the 32 to people knowing that. I think they are great tires. My 650X42 tires were about 355g each.

ColonelJLloyd
10-18-2017, 08:02 PM
FYI

I spoke with Panaracer USA about tubeless. They have to update the sidewalls, but currently all Gravel Kings from 32mm and up (700) and all 650b are tubeless. I just sold a few sets of the 32 to people knowing that. I think they are great tires. My 650X42 tires were about 355g each.

I think QBP are still moving old stock 32s. The pair I ordered recently from my LBS were not marked tubeless ready.

ergott
10-19-2017, 04:59 AM
My tires aren't marked tubeless ready either, but I was assured by Panaracer that they are.

jgarrett
10-21-2017, 07:40 PM
I tried really hard to love my compass snoqualmie pass tires...ride was amazing, but too many failures. Switched to Schwalbe G ones and love them. Not as supple, but they roll fast and have been bulletproof on some really rough rides like Heck of the North

DRietz
10-21-2017, 08:03 PM
My Panaracer Gravel King 32s are doing great tubeless, and are basically the Compass tire with a more robust sidewall.

ColonelJLloyd
10-22-2017, 08:56 PM
I tried really hard to love my compass snoqualmie pass tires...ride was amazing, but too many failures. Switched to Schwalbe G ones and love them. Not as supple, but they roll fast and have been bulletproof on some really rough rides like Heck of the North

Tubeless?

jgarrett
10-22-2017, 09:02 PM
Tubeless?

Yes. Constant bleeding through the sidewalls, a burp that would not reseal, and 2 bulges that formed, 1 resulting cut beyond repair. Super bummed cuz the ride was amazing. I deleted the other bulge photo, but have to mention that compass did replace that tire no questions asked. Cannot complain about their customer service. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171023/a7e7416d9ec99fda82b470ef33b2f48b.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
10-22-2017, 10:49 PM
That tire pictured is the 700x44? What rims are you using? Orange Seal seeping through the sidewalls?

jgarrett
10-22-2017, 10:51 PM
That tire pictured is the 700x44? What rims are you using? Orange Seal seeping through the sidewalls?

Yes. Hed Belgium+ with orange sealed

jgarrett
10-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Yes. Hed Belgium+ with orange sealed

I’ve had flawless tubeless performance with Schwalbe g one and pro one road with the same rim setup.

jgarrett
10-22-2017, 10:57 PM
Interestingly, the 700x44 measured only 42mm even on the wide Belgium+ rim

jdh
10-23-2017, 08:22 PM
Interestingly, the 700x44 measured only 42mm even on the wide Belgium+ rim

Mine also measured 42mm on my 19mm inner width rims. I've had no real weeping on these, unlike the 35mm's that oozed always.

lukeheller
11-09-2017, 11:21 PM
Has anyone tried the Panaracer Gravel King 700x38?

Compass BJP weighs 355g, P-racer GK weighs 320.
Both are tubeless.

I'm wondering if the Gravel King 38 is an actual 38??

dem
11-10-2017, 07:58 AM
..a better question would be "does anyone have them yet?!?"

Last I heard from someone who called Panaracer, the 700x38 slick is supposed to be available "early 2018"

lukeheller
11-10-2017, 08:01 AM
Thanks for clearing that up.

If these measure a bit small they sound like they could be a contender to the Compass BJP tubeless. I'm waiting anxiously!

Luwabra
11-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Im awaiting some real world specs from folks here that preordered from excel they will fit my needs i just need to fig out how big they actually inflate to on a belgium+ their 32's are great btw.

rwsaunders
11-10-2017, 08:58 AM

It has been my experience with latex tubed tubular tires that they do hold air longer after sealant has been injected. It makes sense if you think about it and I found out by accident when pre-treating a tire, so I have no claim to scientific methodology.