PDA

View Full Version : Bike Lanes Are for Immigrants!

djg21
03-31-2017, 01:54 PM
Bike Lanes Are for Immigrants? A Queens Official’s View Draws Fire

Ms. Pfoser Darby denounced proposed bike lanes as a taxpayer-financed amenity for the undocumented immigrants she claims are their main users.
. . . .

Her remarks about undocumented immigrants and bike lanes have elicited calls for her removal from the board. Among other things, Ms. Pfoser Darby has said that once President Trump deports the undocumented immigrants from Corona, there will be no need for bike lanes.

Despite the ensuing controversy, Ms. Pfoser Darby claimed that her views have helped sway the board to delay a decision on the safety plan and bike lanes.

A local city councilwoman, Julissa Ferreras-Copeland, seemed to agree, saying her comments “raise legitimate concerns that this bigoted attitude is behind delaying” the project.. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/nyregion/bike-lanes-immigrant-domain-queens-officials-view-draws-fire.html?_r=0

You just can't fix stupid and ignorant bigots.

bikinchris
03-31-2017, 04:13 PM
I was going to say something, but I'll just leave this alone and scratch my head and walk away.

Tony T
03-31-2017, 04:15 PM
I was going to post this, but I didn't think it would last more than 5 posts before it got locked ;)

Big Dan
03-31-2017, 04:17 PM
Me riding my bike over her dome.....

:bike:

beeatnik
03-31-2017, 04:19 PM
In LA, the Latino cats (mainly from indigenous communities in Latin America), who work in low-paying service sector jobs, ride their bikas on the sidewalk. They've got families to feed, yo.

djg21
03-31-2017, 04:21 PM
To come up with something apolitical and non-partisan to say. Ultimately, I figured the article itself says all that needs to be said.

BobO
03-31-2017, 04:31 PM
There is almost always a noticeable amount of stupid to be found in elected offices. It's generally best to make a mental note, roll eyes and be sure not to cast a vote in that direction again.

bikinchris
03-31-2017, 04:32 PM
As for stupid and ignorant bigots, they pretty much CAN'T be fixed. They're like moon landing conspiracy nutters or flat Earthers. Nothing will convince them. Nothing.

Lewis Moon
03-31-2017, 04:38 PM
Wow. Words fail.

ColonelJLloyd
03-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Just remember Mrs. Darby was elected next time there's a ballot to consider in your hood.

Seramount
03-31-2017, 05:06 PM
found it interesting that she's lived in the same house since age five (77 years).

wonder if that contributed to her narrow world-view...

choke
03-31-2017, 05:08 PM
As Jim White was fond of saying, "You can't fix stupid".

bobdenver1961
03-31-2017, 05:12 PM
Just remember Mrs. Darby was elected next time there's a ballot to consider in your hood.

She will get re-elected. They always do. People are idiots when it comes to voting.

BobO
03-31-2017, 05:33 PM

That would be Ron "Tater Salad" White. :D

Tony T
03-31-2017, 05:42 PM
There really should be age limits for public service.

choke
03-31-2017, 05:45 PM
That would be Ron "Tater Salad" White. :DJim White was a late night talk show host on KMOX radio. He was the first person that I ever heard use that phrase, sometime in the late 80s or early 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_C._White

BobO
03-31-2017, 05:47 PM
Jim White was a late night talk show host on KMOX radio. He was the first person that I ever heard use that phrase, sometime in the late 80s or early 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_C._White

I stand corrected. But it was still fun to reference Tater Salad. :D

sg8357
03-31-2017, 07:36 PM
She needs sensitivity training, have her watch "Blazing Saddles".
I think the Mayor's speech would do her good.

R3awak3n
03-31-2017, 08:07 PM
I am an immigrant and just rode in a bike lane so she is totally right.

what a dumbass

Aaron O
03-31-2017, 09:42 PM
Charming.

She wouldn't have said it if she didn't think her constituents wanted to hear it. With as much as we complain about politicians, they do/say what they're core constituents want.

fogrider
03-31-2017, 10:45 PM
Charming.

She wouldn't have said it if she didn't think her constituents wanted to hear it. With as much as we complain about politicians, they do/say what they're core constituents want.

Yes, this is why this country will not be great again.

choke
03-31-2017, 11:07 PM
Charming.

She wouldn't have said it if she didn't think her constituents wanted to hear it. With as much as we complain about politicians, they do/say what they're core constituents want."If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." - H.L. Mencken

Louis
04-01-2017, 12:45 AM

Obviously a long-time KMOX listener. :)

Edit: I see that was explained in a later post.

colker
04-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Albert Einstein was an immigrant.

Davist
04-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Charming.

Doubt it, demographics don't seem to add up per the article: "In her decades of public service, Ms. Pfoser Darby, 82, has seen this pocket of Queens change from a largely white enclave to a neighborhood with a mostly foreign-born population of Hispanics and Asians — and where by 2015, the white population had dwindled to less than 7 percent."

Maybe she's just a bigot. Maybe people vote for her as she's in a certain political party, or she's the incumbent, or she's unopposed or voters aren't even paying attention..

I lived in Sunnyside Queens, and my wife grew up there, it experienced similar changes, when we were there it was Irish/Korean near us, many new immigrants, great food, and great times..

R3awak3n
04-01-2017, 09:39 AM
queens is awesome, truly a mixing pot. Tons of great multicultural food up there (I am a bridge away and might be moving up there this year).

There are a lot of food delivery in this city and a large majority are non white people, does not mean they are illegals, some might be but not all and probably not even the majority but its probably what she sees and thinks is the case.

ColonelJLloyd
04-01-2017, 09:50 AM
queens is awesome, truly a mixing pot. Tons of great multicultural food up there (I am a bridge away and might be moving up there this year).

Uh, the term is melting pot. Your immigrant card is showing. :beer:

R3awak3n
04-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Uh, the term is melting pot. Your immigrant card is showing. :beer:

lol. damn, I even tried to throw in an American saying to compensate and totally failed lol

galgal
04-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Ironically, if there is one borough that could use more bike lanes it would be Queens aka the World Borough. Subway service there is pretty slim. :no:

AngryScientist
04-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Wait, this is an April fools post or serious? NYC is such a diverse city, surely a public official in a major metropolitan area would not make such a ridiculous comment??

djg21
04-01-2017, 01:20 PM
tiptoe around the no-politics edict. What no one here dares mention is that the election of Trump to the Presidency has legitimized these xenophobic and racist ideologies and encouraged those who espouse them to crawl out of the muck. She's just another dumbf**k.

geordanh
04-01-2017, 01:24 PM
tiptoe around the no-politics edict. What no one here dares mention is that the election of Trump to the Presidency has legitimized these xenophobic and racist ideologies and encouraged those who espouse them to crawl out of the muck. She's just another dumbf**k.

It had to be said. In before the lock!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frikki
04-01-2017, 02:45 PM
For whatever reason I've found that drivers in Queens seem to be the most hostile in that general area

flydhest
04-01-2017, 02:57 PM
It is worth reading the article. While I am opposed to Trump, it does not appear that his election is necessarily the impetus for this woman speaking up. I infer from the article that she has a long history of incendiary comments. But also, if the article is accurate, of doing some work to aid immigrant groups. Her comments are indefensible, in my view, and there is bigotry/racism/ignorance or what have you underlying them, but the article is curious and nuanced.

bshell
04-01-2017, 03:09 PM
The "bike lanes are for immigrants" bit is pretty crazy/ignorant but this country has refused to address/enforce illegal immigration for decades. Both parties are at fault. Employers and exploiters are at fault.

We have a system for legal immigration. I don't think it is bigoted/racist/or ignorant to desire (expect) clear policies and their corresponding enforcement.

How do we address it now? What do we do with respect to the tens of millions of people that have been here illegally, long term?

I haven't got a clue as to what would be fair and make everyone happy...

djg21
04-01-2017, 03:34 PM
It is worth reading the article. While I am opposed to Trump, it does not appear that his election is necessarily the impetus for this woman speaking up. I infer from the article that she has a long history of incendiary comments. But also, if the article is accurate, of doing some work to aid immigrant groups. Her comments are indefensible, in my view, and there is bigotry/racism/ignorance or what have you underlying them, but the article is curious and nuanced.

This is a pretty strained reading of the article. Some choice quotes:

"Among other things, Ms. Pfoser Darby has said that once President Trump deports the undocumented immigrants from Corona, there will be no need for bike lanes."

"She also assailed an initiative to help inexperienced voters, despite the sizable group of Spanish-speaking people on hand."

"Ms. Pfoser Darby called the councilwoman’s remarks politically motivated, and described herself as “100 percent not a racist.” She called it absurd to be vilified for expecting deportation laws to be enforced."

"Foreign people they love me,” she said, referring to immigrants with legal status. “If anything, I’ve gone out of my way to help foreign people.”"

I bet she claims to have friends who are black and Latino too. I'm not buying it.

Tony T
04-01-2017, 04:58 PM
It's because they're old.
She's 82, Trump 70 (and Clinton too)

Need to have an age limit.
People of this age could never be hired by a corporation — why are they being elected?

Seramount
04-01-2017, 05:16 PM
It's because they're old. She's 82, Trump 70 (and Clinton too)

Need to have an age limit. People of this age could never be hired by a corporation — why are they being elected?

um, yeah, because no young people have ill-informed opinions and prejudices...

Tony T
04-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Seems like the older folks (her, Trump) have deep seated prejudices that can never change.
There is at least hope that the young can change their prejudices.

flydhest
04-01-2017, 05:55 PM
This is a pretty strained reading of the article. Some choice quotes:

"Among other things, Ms. Pfoser Darby has said that once President Trump deports the undocumented immigrants from Corona, there will be no need for bike lanes."

"She also assailed an initiative to help inexperienced voters, despite the sizable group of Spanish-speaking people on hand."

"Ms. Pfoser Darby called the councilwoman’s remarks politically motivated, and described herself as “100 percent not a racist.” She called it absurd to be vilified for expecting deportation laws to be enforced."

"Foreign people they love me,” she said, referring to immigrants with legal status. “If anything, I’ve gone out of my way to help foreign people.”"

I bet she claims to have friends who are black and Latino too. I'm not buying it.

I think you and I agree on everything except I just think she spoke out in a miserable and bigoted way before Trump was elected.

I hope I was pretty clear about thinking she is awful and indefensible.

pjm
04-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Seems like the older folks (her, Trump) have deep seated prejudices that can never change.
There is at least hope that the young can change their prejudices.

What about older libs like Schumer, Pelosi, Waters? Feel the same way about them?

Tony T
04-01-2017, 06:10 PM
What about older libs like Schumer, Pelosi, Waters? Feel the same way about them?

Yes.
There needs to be age limits and mandatory retirement.
(Do you really want to see Clinton and Sanders vying for the nomination again in 2020? — it's going to happen)

makoti
04-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Yes.
There needs to be age limits and mandatory retirement.
(Do you really want to see Clinton and Sanders vying for the nomination again in 2020? — it's going to happen)

Generally, I am opposed to term limits of any kind. Let the voters choose. However, since there is a minimum age for election (Pres., anyway), I see no reason not to have a maximum as well. I just don't think it wold matter much, because I can't see it being any lower than 80 or so.

pbarry
04-01-2017, 07:14 PM
God bless you, Tony. You just can't help poking. ;)

Tony T
04-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Generally, I am opposed to term limits of any kind. Let the voters choose. However, since there is a minimum age for election (Pres., anyway), I see no reason not to have a maximum as well. I just don't think it wold matter much, because I can't see it being any lower than 80 or so.

80 as a min to run? That would mean the pres would be 88 if elected for a 2nd term. I was thinking more along the lines of 62 as the limit to run. There should be concerns for someone of a certain age being president (i.e. it has been suggested, that Regan was suffering from (undiagnosed) Alzheimer's in his last years as president)

pbarry
04-01-2017, 08:18 PM
80 as a min to run? That would mean the pres would be 88 if elected for a 2nd term. I was thinking more along the lines of 62 as the limit to run. There should be concerns for someone of a certain age being president (i.e. it has been suggested, that Regan was suffering from (undiagnosed) Alzheimer's in his last years as president)

Tony, if spelling becomes difficult, it might be time to resign from the forum. The attached imaged is of Donald Regan., who was never suggested to have, or exhibited signs of, early Alzheimer's Disease.

Tony T
04-01-2017, 08:25 PM
Context! (Donald Regan was never President :))

makoti
04-01-2017, 10:09 PM

If the limit was 80, then you couldn't run for re-election at 84, could you? Plus, it is likely that no party is going to nominate anyone who can't run for a second term, so functionally the limit becomes 76.
62? Really? That's a lot of smart, seasoned people you just tossed out. And as to medical concerns of those older, "early onset" anyone?

fiamme red
04-01-2017, 10:17 PM
She's wrong. Bike lanes are for pedestrians and dumping snow and garbage.

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/3907/4304/original.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZu6XVHWIAAtMGw.jpg:large

vadasz
04-02-2017, 02:08 AM
The "bike lanes are for immigrants" bit is pretty crazy/ignorant but this country has refused to address/enforce illegal immigration for decades. Both parties are at fault. Employers and exploiters are at fault.

We have a system for legal immigration. I don't think it is bigoted/racist/or ignorant to desire (expect) clear policies and their corresponding enforcement.

How do we address it now? What do we do with respect to the tens of millions of people that have been here illegally, long term?

I haven't got a clue as to what would be fair and make everyone happy...

Really, really difficult issue. I don't think anyone has any solution that's "fair"

oldpotatoe
04-02-2017, 06:18 AM

Wow not locked yet??

Yup, agree 100%..

Tony T
04-02-2017, 06:59 AM
If the limit was 80, then you couldn't run for re-election at 84, could you? Plus, it is likely that no party is going to nominate anyone who can't run for a second term, so functionally the limit becomes 76.
62? Really? That's a lot of smart, seasoned people you just tossed out. And as to medical concerns of those older, "early onset" anyone?

The amendment could be written as an age limit of 62 to run for 1st term of President, and age limit of 66 to run for re-election (which effectively would be a mandatory retirement age of 70)

I'm not "tossing out" a lot of smart seasoned people, they can be in the President's cabinet, or have a different gov't position.
(btw, there is no requirement be "smart" to run for POTUS :)),

Regarding medical concerns, yes there is a risk of early onset Alzheimer’s, however "Age is the best known risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease. The risk of developing the disease doubles every 5 years after age 65. Alzheimer’s becomes increasingly common as people reach their 80s, 90s, and beyond." — U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (https://www.nia.nih.gov/alzheimers/publication/preventing-alzheimers-disease/risk-factors-alzheimers-disease)

shovelhd
04-02-2017, 07:01 AM

I find this statement offensive. It doesn't belong on this forum.

torquer
04-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think community boards are elected. Article mentions her "mentor," but never any election results.
In any case, the Archie Bunker reference was spot on.

djg21
04-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think community boards are elected. Article mentions her "mentor," but never any election results.
In any case, the Archie Bunker reference was spot on.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/bkncb1/html/explained/explained.shtml#Board_Membership_and_Additional_In formation

AlanKHG
04-02-2017, 11:04 AM
She will get re-elected. They always do. People are idiots when it comes to voting.

NYC's community board system is stupid and undemocratic and gives undue power to unelected members who are basically selected on their willingness to deal with tedium. They are technically advisory but the city only very rarely overrules them.

Its committee chairpeople have de-facto lifetime appointments— in practice, once someone is a committee chair, they are reappointed to the position indefinitely.

(I am a community member of a community board. Mine is pretty decent, although it still gets plenty shouty at times. Many are dumb & bad.)

William
04-02-2017, 02:24 PM
What a nice sunny day in New England for a ride! :banana:

William

PS: Oh, and I think we've crossed that "P" line.