PDA

View Full Version : In Search of: An Odd Fork. Does It Exist?

MaraudingWalrus
03-31-2017, 12:03 PM
I've got a customer who had a bike damaged in shipping it to our shop. It's resulted in him needing a new fork for his bicycle.

It's steel, has an 1 1/8" threadless steerer tube, it has a tab for a shimano roller brake, internally routed wiring for a shimano dynamo hub, mid-mounted rack and fender mounts, and has approximately 320mm of steerer tube, QR dropouts.

I've emailed a few framebuilders to see how much something like that would cost for him

Anybody know of such a fork existing off the rack, of which I'm not aware?

Unfortunate situation for the guy, he was shipping us the bike to pickup today to ride in the Cross Florida Ride this weekend, and then travel back out of state. He's bought another bike sort of like what he had to complete the ride, but I don't envy the man who bought a bike on Friday to ride across Florida on Saturday and Sunday.

d_douglas
03-31-2017, 12:08 PM
The only one I can think of would be a Potts Type II, but the rack/fender mounts might be a tough one.

Is that what you mean by rollerbrake mounts? As in, old WTB type things?

MaraudingWalrus
03-31-2017, 12:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170331/12c83da96a4f0bd8ebf1ff2a1259f820.jpg

Here's the tab on the existing fork.

Here (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rollerbrakes.html)'s a Sheldon brown page on RollerBrakes for anyone who hasn't seen 'em before. They're interesting.

sandyrs
03-31-2017, 01:32 PM
The only one I can think of would be a Potts Type II, but the rack/fender mounts might be a tough one.

Is that what you mean by rollerbrake mounts? As in, old WTB type things?

I'm pretty sure those are roller cam brakes, not roller brakes.

For a custom steel fork at a reasonable price it's hard to beat Waltworks.

bicycletricycle
03-31-2017, 01:48 PM
I think you could get a regular touring fork (surly or something) and have someone add the brake mount onto it, a fabrication shop might just take that old one off and weld it onto the new fork and at the same time grind the canti posts off. Then powdercoat or rattle can.

The only stock fork I can think of that came with these ingredients in the states was a civia fork. Maybe call QBP, they had a few civias that came with those roller brakes I think.

zip tie the dynamo wire on.

EricEstlund
03-31-2017, 01:49 PM
The least expensive option might be to contact the company that made the bike and see if they have damage replacement stock.

I've done a number of this type of fork. In a pinch, those cam arms can be attached to a proper fork with a band similar to the clutch band for a coaster brake hub. Sounds as though there are other specifics in the design that also need to be addressed.

seric
03-31-2017, 02:58 PM
I'd guess a good direction to go would be a disc fork. Probably already built to handle the appropriate stresses, and an adapter would be relatively easy to fabricate.

smontanaro
04-01-2017, 06:06 AM
Is there no hope the bent fork could be straightened by a framebuilder?