PDA

View Full Version : Recommended brake pads for Enve SES3.4

Dromen
03-31-2017, 08:28 AM
These are the generation prior to the new and improved, loud, textured brake tracks. Unfortunately these are quiet ones that brake like crap with the slightest bit of moisture. They will be outside the 2 year warranty in a month so am not married to the enve branded pads. Hoping the poor braking performance in less than ideal conditions has something to do with the OEM pads and something new will be an improvement. (DA9000 brakes)

Help. Please.

TIA

chiasticon
03-31-2017, 08:40 AM
I haven't tried them with Enve rims but the Black Prince pads are pretty damn great. I've used them with very similarly constructed rims from Mercury, Psimet and November and they were awesome. in cyclocross conditions as well.

last cyclocross season I actually just left the Boyd carbon pads on my 'A' bike as my 'A' wheels were Boyd. Boyd also approves using the Black Prince pads, so my logic was "they can't be all that different from his pads, and Black Prince is approved by makers of the other wheels I own." so I left 'em on when using wheels from Zipp, Psimet and Mercury. stopped them all well with no issues. like you, all my wheels are out of warranty (and second-hand) so I wasn't super concerned there. the 'B'/pit/practice bike had the Black Prince pads on it, with the same sets of wheels and results were the same.

again though, I haven't used with Enve. but wanted to give a data point from someone in a similar boat.

R3awak3n
03-31-2017, 09:17 AM
use the enve pads. Maybe it was bad luck on my part but the black princes delaminated my enve wheels. They do brake amazing but they were the pads that were on the wheels when they got delaminated so they get the blame. That said, there are some people running them with no problems and my wheels were an older gen (enve 45).

geordanh
03-31-2017, 09:41 AM
use the enve pads. Maybe it was bad luck on my part but the black princes delaminated my enve wheels. They do brake amazing but they were the pads that were on the wheels when they got delaminated so they get the blame. That said, there are some people running them with no problems and my wheels were an older gen (enve 45).

Yeah man, that was rough for you. I just bought madsciencenow's 4.5's and I have black princes on my current bike and don't want to buy the campy enve pads when they are so much worse. Your experience is the only thing making me consider doing so :)

The gray enve pads seriously suck. I used to have the classic 45s. After riding Zipp + black prince's for a while going back is lame.

Tickdoc
03-31-2017, 04:53 PM
Fwiw, I had good luck with campy black pads...no delamination, no more squeaking than any other. Tried yellow Koop stop for carbon pads and they squeaked and left a nice yellow residue.

The enve grey campy specific ones work fine when dry but you might as well pull a Fred flinstone when the roads are wet.

jwess1234
03-31-2017, 05:02 PM
1. ENVE rims have a 5 year warranty, not 2... so you should probably stick with the ENVE gray pads.

2. I find the braking to be decent on the gray pads. If your braking isn't great, I suggest: (a) clean the rim surface with rubbing alcohol (do not touch tires with it); and (b) sand down the pads.

ptourkin
03-31-2017, 06:42 PM
I got the new Enve pads with my 2.2s with the new track and keep them on when I ride my older 3.4 tubulars. They work fine with the old rims and do not squeak.

Dromen
03-31-2017, 06:53 PM
1. ENVE rims have a 5 year warranty, not 2... so you should probably stick with the ENVE gray pads.

2. I find the braking to be decent on the gray pads. If your braking isn't great, I suggest: (a) clean the rim surface with rubbing alcohol (do not touch tires with it); and (b) sand down the pads.

Just on site today and saw the 5 year v 2. Guess that is good news. Have done all proper rim sanitizing and pad roughing but still.... THey are fine in dry conditions, just wish they could be more of a take anywhere wheel.

Maybe i had a bad gray set of pads:rolleyes:

Thanks all, warranty is driving the bus here.

Tickdoc
03-31-2017, 06:55 PM
I still consider them take anywhere. You just have to know how to stop when wet. Just like an old car, doesn't mean you can't drive it.

Dromen
03-31-2017, 07:00 PM
I still consider them take anywhere. You just have to know how to stop when wet. Just like an old car, doesn't mean you can't drive it.

Durability-wise agree, problem is i react like an old car....

IMO, when moist - not safe in a group ride or just no fun descending.

Tickdoc
03-31-2017, 07:14 PM
Durability-wise agree, problem is i react like an old car....

IMO, when moist - not safe in a group ride or just no fun descending.

Yeah but you just adjust. Since when were group rides in the rain safe? Just space a little more and ride a little more defensive. It's alll good.