PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for a Fierte

Daggett
08-14-2006, 07:54 AM
I'm purchasing my first "real" bike. I ordered an orange steel fierte 52S that is taking forever to get here.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to equip this bike.

I'm a 40 year old female. My shoulder width is 38 cm.

The dealer has suggested.

Speed play zero pedals
Salsa Poco 38 Handelbars
Ultegra

Other parts have not been discussed. I would like to keep the bike around $3000.

Should I be looking at something from Campagnolo instead of the Ultegra?

Any suggestions? Thanks

Serpico
08-14-2006, 08:03 AM

Should I be looking at something from Campagnolo instead of the Ultegra?

both are fine, go to a shop that has bikes equipped with both and stand over a bike to see which hood shape you prefer.

good luck

Daggett
08-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Any wheel suggestions?

djg
08-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Many women seem to like the poco handlebars, it's a matter of taste, partly, and individual fit.

As for Campagnolo vs. Ultegra: I have campagnolo on all my bikes (not counting the old beater mtb)--one road, one fixie, and currently in build, one CX, and I'm very happy with it--I've used shimano before, however, and it works very well. The ergonomics are slightly different, and you might try out both to see which levers feel better with your hands. For campy: there are some very good deals out there now as the new stuff comes in, and I'm building up a bike now with the Centaur stuff which (a) is very well priced and (b) looks really nice--this may be a real bargain group among current offerings.

dbrk
08-14-2006, 08:19 AM
both are fine, go to a shop that has bikes equipped with both and stand over a bike to see which hood shape you prefer.

good luck

This is good advice since the ergonomic differences between the hoods some folks find significant. Shimano hoods also add to your reach since they are 1.5cm longer than Campagnolo. I happen to like both well enough but you can't help but notice the difference. Of course, you'd get used to whatever you ride (because that's what really happens about 99% of the time). Ultegra is a better value than Chorus but Centaur holds up beautifully over time. Spend less on components and more on wheels is not terrible input. Even the pre-built wheels these days are pretty swell from Mavic, Campag, and others. Of course, they can go waaaay over the top but ymmv in terms of what you prefer.

I would look at the narrower Ritchey WCS Classic bars in 38cm because they have a simple round bend. If you can ride 40cm bars and like ergo bends I have boxes of nearly-new and postage gets you whatever you need. (This offer applies to anyone: 40cm c-c ergo bend Ritchey, Deda, etc., let me know, you pay the postage, no returns, all so new that you'd be silly to buy new...personal reasons but I've replaced them all with Nitto.) For an even more classic bar try the Nitto Noodle or 115, which you can have your shop order: silver bits are harder to find these days because black is the new black. Otherwise those Salsas are fine, imhoatmoyo (see special posts on "atmo", "yo", and other nomenclatura from the new Prada set; Prada, btw, makes some effin'cool bike bits though unfortunately not yet shoes...[this is a joke/lie/please smile...]).

Advice is free and even good advice is difficult to tell from bad advice, especially these days. Try to avoid cottered cranks, AVA stems, and Cinelli M71 pedals---and if you bike shop doesn't know what any of these things are then you really DO need another bike shop. (That was bike humor, which is just as difficult to tell from good advice...these or any days.)

Good luck! Nice bike!!

dbrk

mflaherty37
08-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Any wheel suggestions?

Campy Proton or a wheel built with low profile rims. Like Open Pro rims. 28 spokes is sufficient. Mavic Cosmos aren't durable but they are cheap and they should work for a while with your weight.

fierte_poser
08-14-2006, 09:06 AM
How did you divine her weight? :confused:

pjm
08-14-2006, 09:19 AM
If you are not a good tire changer, stay away from Campy wheels. Tires are a very tight fit. Roadside tube changes can be a nightmare.

Ginger
08-14-2006, 09:26 AM
They aren't expensive, but if I wasn't going custom (and you should consider a nice set of custom wheels...) I like my out-of-the-box Campy record hubs 28 spokes front, 32 rear, w/open pro clincher rims.
They take a beating and run forever. Not the lightest birds in the world, but all in all a very forgiving beginner wheel that isn't going to leave you limping home if you manage to break a spoke.

That said I like the ride of tubulars and my campy neutrons are pretty light. I haven't gotten out much on them, but I like them.

As a caution:
I ride poco bars. I'm not fond of them as they have the ergo bend which does me no good. Just plain stupid if you ask me to have an ergo bend on bars that in one part are attempting to create a shorter reach...(let me tell you how I really feel.) Why are they still on my bike? I'm basically lazy. That's why.

Please be cautious though. Unless the bike was custom built for the setup, if the bike needs to be fit with a stem less than 90cm and a set of poco bars to *fit* you, it could be the top tube is too long for you and you need to go to a different size. (How do I know? Fitters have set me up on bikes that way. Handling sucks and the bikes were really too long for me. ) You probably won't have that problem...but I've seen that solution used too often on others.

mflaherty37
08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
How did you divine her weight? :confused:

SQRT(Handle Bar Size_a)* INT(F)/ SQRT(Handle Bar Size_b)* INT(M)/ = Lighter than me
:rolleyes:

Daggett
08-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Current weight 120. Trying to hit 115. ;)