PDA

View Full Version : OT Firefox

H.Frank Beshear
08-14-2006, 07:30 AM
My old puter finally gave out and we replaced it over the weekend. I am thinking of switching over to Firefox for my browser and thunderbird for my e-mail. For those of you who've done this is there a downside? I'm not the most computer savvy person here obviously, Would I be better off to stay with Explorer and use thunderbird for the email. Will there be sites that will not support firefox? Thanks, Frank

Hysbrian
08-14-2006, 07:34 AM
I would go with both Firefox, and thunderbird. There are very few things that can be done only on IE and not firefox, so I'm going out on a limb and saying you'll be fine.

justinf
08-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Firefox is great. The only limitation I have found is when uploading files to an FTP site, IE works much better in recognizing the log-on requirements of the site. So, a few times a month I still use IE.

I love the web password maintenance, bookmarks toolbar, and preferences of Firefox. Never used Thunderbird.

Ray
08-14-2006, 08:24 AM
I use Firefox but IE is still on the computer. On the VERY rare occasion that something doesn't work properly in FF, I use IE. The only recent example I can think of is that the full screen option didn't work in FF when I was watching the Giro on Cycling TV. Oh yeah, the velonews videos needed IE also. 99% + works great in Firefox.

-Ray

Hysbrian
08-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Is a great replacement for outlook express. i.e. an e-mail/contacts only application.

Chad Engle
08-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Firefox has worked great for me. I have never used Thunderbird though.

atmo
08-14-2006, 08:40 AM
i use i.e. on the dell as a matter of course,
but on the ibook i use firefox. when i got it,
safari was the default, and that drove me
nuts atmo.

btw, when i'm on the ibook, firefox doesn't
allow me to do my juno webmail replies in
html, only 'plain text'. does anyone know why?

Bradford
08-14-2006, 09:06 AM
I use both on my home machines. No problems with Thunderbird and I only have a problem with Firefox once in a blue moon, then I just open up IE.

I like Firefox so much better it isn't even a close decision for me. Make the switch and you won't think about going back.

Serpico
08-14-2006, 09:26 AM
firefox is great, you won't regret it

TimB
08-14-2006, 10:26 AM
one thing to be aware of - Firefox is more strict - IE will often overlook errors in javascript and html that will cause Firefox to behave in ways unintended by the author. DON'T read this as a comment against Firefox, which I use almost exclusively - but against authors who publish sloppy code and test only against IE.

ShortRider
08-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Don't know about Thunderbird. Yes, there are times when certain web pages or features won't work on Firefox, but they are far and few between, and the Firefox features will more than make up for them.

BoulderGeek
08-14-2006, 12:59 PM
I would never use Outlook(Express) or IE on Windows.

Use of open source alternatives like Thunderbird and Firefox helps to close the swiss-cheese security holes that Microsoft never bothered to fix.

if you use IE, it's like going dumpster diving with open wounds: you're going to get infected.

I also heartily suggest using AVG anti virus (free) and Spybot Search & Destroy (free as well). The purported cost savings of going with windows is nullified by the time one must spend as a vigilant systems administrator in order to keep Windows healthy. It's only cheaper if your time and effort (or downtime) is worth nothing.

If you want to be really secure, either disconnect all networking, or get a Mac or Linux box.

BarryG
08-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Use IE7 and Firefox. Yes, there are still some Web sites that won't run on Firefox due to moronic MS-philic programming practices.

BumbleBeeDave
08-14-2006, 02:37 PM
The only downside I have found to Firefox (and I have a Mac) is in it's history pull-down menu. Netscape (which I used before) had a separate history record for each open tab on the order you had been to them. So it was easy to jump back separately for each open tab to where you had been a few pages ago.

But Firefox has all the previous pages listed in the same pull-down menu and even then it doesn't seem to list every one you've been to, forcing you to either backtrack one-by-one through whatever pages you've already been to, or open up the history pallette at the left where the pages STILL aren't listed in the order you viewed them--they're listed alphabetically and you have to search through the list for the one you were on 3, 4, or whtever pages ago. It's very annoying. I have not found any way in the preferences to make it list the pages linearly by each separate tab, but maybe somebody here can give me some advice.

Other than that, great, fast program. Same with Thunderbird.

BBD

39cross
08-14-2006, 02:57 PM
I have used Firefox and Thunderbird for a few years now, they get better with each iteration. Ocasionally you may need to use IE, it's always there (if you're using Windows) if you should have a problem with a site, maybe with a video.

However, the truly great thing about FF is the great range of plugins, which they call extensions. My favorites block unwanted stuff like those annoying Flash ads, and can be used to prevent Javascript code from doing obnoxious things. You can also choose from a wide range of themes to change the look, if your taste runs that way. Chances are good that if you try it you will like it, and use it 99% if the time.

Serotta PETE
08-14-2006, 05:27 PM
My old puter finally gave out and we replaced it over the weekend. I am thinking of switching over to Firefox for my browser and thunderbird for my e-mail. For those of you who've done this is there a downside? I'm not the most computer savvy person here obviously, Would I be better off to stay with Explorer and use thunderbird for the email. Will there be sites that will not support firefox? Thanks, Frank

Unless you want the "adventure" stay with what you have. From your note it sounds like it works for you. I am guilty of changing things but there is always a learning curve and when I look back the "value add" is questionable.

PLease no hate mail....i spent 30 plus years in information technology so I do know a little - - and have tried new things - including just going from Microsoft to APPLE>

SMILE and have some wine............PETE.

Andreas
08-14-2006, 05:32 PM
This sums it up nicely.

I would never use Outlook(Express) or IE on Windows.

Use of open source alternatives like Thunderbird and Firefox helps to close the swiss-cheese security holes that Microsoft never bothered to fix.

if you use IE, it's like going dumpster diving with open wounds: you're going to get infected.

I also heartily suggest using AVG anti virus (free) and Spybot Search & Destroy (free as well). The purported cost savings of going with windows is nullified by the time one must spend as a vigilant systems administrator in order to keep Windows healthy. It's only cheaper if your time and effort (or downtime) is worth nothing.

If you want to be really secure, either disconnect all networking, or get a Mac or Linux box.