PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! Virenque spoiler

jeffg
08-14-2006, 03:21 AM
Virenque hospitalised after cycling accident
Former professional and seven-time mountains at the Tour de France, Richard Virenque, is in hospital following a heavy fall sustained while racing his bike at a five-day amateur event in the French Alps.

"The fork of the bicycle suddenly snapped, and as a result, Richard fell on his face," recalled Virenque's wife Stéphanie, whose husband suffered a broken nose and numerous facial wounds, one of which required 32 stitches and will require cosmetic surgery next week. According to an AFP report, 36 year-old Virenque remains conscious in a Grenoble hospital, attached to a morphine drip.

Man, I was thinking of doing that event. Why don't I just get a Kirk or a Luigino with a steel fork. I bet that won't snap anytime soon ...

Too Tall
08-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Really, that's a shame. Any news appreciated. Thanks.

wasfast
08-14-2006, 09:15 AM
No matter who it is, doing a front plant like that is horrible. I saw this article on another cycling news site and could help but think that the author was taking a cheap shot (no pun intended) regarding the morphine drip comment. There are many ways to hit the deck but face first has to be one of the worst. Best of healing to Richard

jeffg
08-14-2006, 09:33 AM
No matter who it is, doing a front plant like that is horrible. I saw this article on another cycling news site and could help but think that the author was taking a cheap shot (no pun intended) regarding the morphine drip comment. There are many ways to hit the deck but face first has to be one of the worst. Best of healing to Richard

Absolutely agree about how terrible this is for anyone. Just the thought makes me cringe ...

cloudguy
08-14-2006, 10:03 AM
That sounds like a nightmare. :(

How common do forks just suddenly fail? What are the causes?

Frustration
08-14-2006, 10:18 AM
That sounds like a nightmare. :(

How common do forks just suddenly fail? What are the causes?

Darn near never...

The most common cause is riding a previously damaged fork. That's the most common cause of all "I was just riding along when it broke" parts claims. The other is letting one's ego talk them into "needing" something built way to lite for one's weight and stressing it till it gives...

Vancouverdave
08-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Monsieur Virenque, you should know that it is still possible to buy a fine steel frame and fork built in your very own country!

grosmerou
08-21-2006, 03:24 PM
it is an horrible story ...
life can be very harsh sometimes he is a good guy.

what kind of fork he had ?

i am going to through away my very light easton for a niccer serotta F3

MartyE
08-21-2006, 03:35 PM
who was it that had a piece of chain hit his fork in
the Vuelta (2 years ago?) and did a face plant on the tarmac?
Euskatel rider iirc.
is it common? no
does it happen? yes

FWIW I didn't read too much into the morphine drip comment.
hope Richard heals quickly.