PDA

View Full Version : Ride Suggestions - Western US

tab123
03-29-2017, 07:29 PM
I am starting to plan a trip for the late summer/early fall. We will start from our home in Central Oregon heading north to North Cascades NP (with stops at Mt. St. Helen's and Mt. Rainier). From North Cascades NP we will head east to Glacier NP, then south to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs. From there we will head west toward Craters of the Moon NP and then home. We will be in the RV and the goal is to combine road rides and hiking.

Other than the Grand Teton NP, this will all be new country for me. I have selected rides near Mt. St. Helen's and Mt. Rainier, and thanks to the Adventure Cycling Association, I have the route from North Cascades NP to Glacier. I plan to ride the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier so long as it isn't snowing.
I'm looking for rides around 60-80 miles, but I'm flexible.

I know the route is somewhat vague, but I've just started the planning. If you have any suggestions for must-do rides around the national parks or along the general route, please reply. Thank you!

kevintice
03-29-2017, 08:00 PM
Any of the rides from the eastside of the mountains to Rainer NP are worthwhile, the Yakima River Canyon is a fun, but shorter diversion. The John Wayne Trail, through the Snoqualmie Tunnel at Snoqualmie Pass is a fun dirt trail option. And the ACA route over the North Cascades to and through Glacier is great. On Highway 20 you can have 4 days with a mountain pass each day. The Going t the Sun road is spectacular. There are time restrictions on the road in the park, but they are easily dealt with. I rode that this past August PM me if you'd like more details or info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk