PDA

View Full Version : Spooky Havoc-staff cable stop problem

katematt
03-29-2017, 07:11 AM
I have a Spooky skeletor version where the cable stops are slotted into the head tube. Epoxy usually held them in but it appears that the left FD broke off a bit and will no longer hold the housing.

I found someone who can insert cable stops on the down tube using rivets. I will likely have him do both. It's either this or use the frame as a 1X.

Would the rivets hold under the pressure of shifting long term?

Any advice or other ideas would be great appreciated.

stien
03-29-2017, 07:57 AM
Other frames like the Cervelo R3 have rivets holding the stops on (two for a double stop). Just go electronic!

chiasticon
03-29-2017, 08:21 AM
always thought that was a weird design idea for Spooky. they attempted a sleek look, but pretty much everyone has had problems with it.

I think you'd be fine, but I have no direct experience with this. as mentioned, other bikes are designed to use rivets to hold cable stops.

personally, I'd be tempted to just have it drilled for electronic at that point though. or for full-length internal housing through the downtube and out the BB or bottom of downtube. or even all the way to the RD through the DS chainstay, if possible. maybe take it to a local framebuilder and see what suggestions he could make (if that's not who you've already talked to)?

ANAO
03-29-2017, 09:02 AM
1x!

R3awak3n
03-29-2017, 09:14 AM
I have a havocstaff as well. Its a great frame but people complain about 2 things with it, BB being PF30 and the cable stop problem. The PF30 is not a problem imo but the cable stops suck, what a crappy design. Sure looks good but it doesnt work well. Mine holds fine with epoxy and the key is to use epoxy right away instead of letting it not hold anymore then doing the epoxy. One of mine was getting loosy so I epoxied it and its been a few years without a single problem.

I would try the rivets or have someone weld stops like the skeletor (this is what I will do if ever comes to it). Or convert the frame to electronic, that would be nice too,

bpm
03-29-2017, 09:42 AM
eTap. Problem solved.

R3awak3n
03-29-2017, 09:45 AM
yeah, spend $2000 on the problem.

Corso
03-29-2017, 10:33 AM
Maybe this?

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes/backstop_-_1282

chiasticon
03-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Maybe this?

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes/backstop_-_1282wouldn't work. the Spooky downtubes are MASSIVE.

this, however, is an option:
https://www.thechristmaslightemporium.com/wp-content/uploads/Black-Zip-Tie2.jpg

boywander
03-29-2017, 12:24 PM
I have a Spooky skeletor version where the cable stops are slotted into the head tube. Epoxy usually held them in but it appears that the left FD broke off a bit and will no longer hold the housing.

I found someone who can insert cable stops on the down tube using rivets. I will likely have him do both. It's either this or use the frame as a 1X.

Would the rivets hold under the pressure of shifting long term?

Any advice or other ideas would be great appreciated.

It sounds like a defect. Have you try contacting the company and see what they would do? That's if they're still in business.

The rivet should have no problem.

Post photos if you would.

katematt
03-29-2017, 12:37 PM
It sounds like a defect. Have you try contacting the company and see what they would do? That's if they're still in business.

The rivet should have no problem.

Post photos if you would.

Not a defect per se, sort of a design flaw that was modified with later iterations. Got it on forum and wouldn't warranty it, although I'm sure he'd work with me on it.

I will say that these frames are great and are very fun to ride, which is why I want to save it.

Thanks all for the inputs on the rivets, I found a guy local who can do it. I'll post some photo when complete.

Cheers.

rePhil
03-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Perhaps a frame builder or two will chime in. In the meantime try FTW, I think he built a bunch of Spooky's.

http://www.frankthewelder.com

R3awak3n
03-29-2017, 03:38 PM
these frames are from old spooky, not olllllld spooky half way old spooky. They were built by SAPA in oregon to Mikeys (old spooky owner) specifications and they are rad bikes. THis was the last iteration of ready made spooky frames so this was never fixed. From after the havocstaff all spookys were custom and welded by frank the welder, different beast, different price.

rePhil
03-29-2017, 03:57 PM
I try to learn something everyday. This was a lesson of sorts. I knew about the other builders but not the timeline. Thanks for the lesson. From what I hear they are awesome riding bikes.I am happy to read that the the OP has things sorted.

these frames are from old spooky, not olllllld spooky half way old spooky. They were built by SAPA in oregon to Mikeys (old spooky owner) specifications and they are rad bikes. THis was the last iteration of ready made spooky frames so this was never fixed. From after the havocstaff all spookys were custom and welded by frank the welder, different beast, different price.