PDA

View Full Version : Good or better 24" tires. Road bike.

Cicli
03-29-2017, 05:01 AM
Looking for some better 24" tires for the kiddies bike. They are labled 520 by something or other. Its a newer Giant kids road bike. He cut one and when I pulled it to boot they feel like a rigid water hose.
Anyone have any sugestions? I am thinking Panaracer something or other.

Thanks.

CNY rider
03-29-2017, 05:17 AM
Take a look at what Islabikes are shipping with and see if they are for sale retail .
I can't remember the brand and model and my kids bikes are not in front of me right now but they have nice supple tires.

Doug Fattic
03-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Way, way, way back when Terry Bicycles started making production women specific models, they used a 24" front wheel paired with a 27" back wheel. This allowed for a shorter top tube without having toe overlap. It was there signature look. 26" wheels were not commonly available in the States back then. Georgina eventually sold the company that now puts an emphasis on clothing and saddles. I didn't see on their website that they even sell complete bicycles anymore. However they still have a small selection of road tires (made by Panasonic) for their old model bicycles.

Quality Bicycle Products is a wholesale distributor to bicycle stores. They carry a Panasonic 24 x 1 road tire. They have others that will work for the BMX market. Your local bike store could order these tires for you from QBP if you didn't want to get them from Terry. However I recommend the Terry Tellus 24 X 1 1/4 (32-520) because a smaller diameter tire needs a bit more air so it doesn't ride harsh.

Keep in mind there are several 24" sizes. You have identified your bead seat diameter as 520 so make sure you don't get one of the other sizes.

NHAero
03-29-2017, 09:10 AM
The recumbent bike world has some speedy bikes using that size tire. I think Schwalbe makes a Durano in 23-520.