View Full Version : SMTP Server atmo?

atmo
08-13-2006, 04:10 PM
i am playing around with my ibook email capabilities
and i need to know some smtp stuff. where does one
find the correct info with which to fill in the drop down
box info atmo?

i currently have a @juno.com mail account and leave
most of my emails in folders on juno.com's server.

at the wordwide headquarters, the dsl modum is supplied
by sbc, and i have an @sbcglobal.net mail account that is
never used.

that's all the info i know. i am thinking about configuring
the ibook email program to get my juno mail, and similarly
with my dell laptop and outlook express.

hey - thanks for reading and have a swell evening atmo.

pale scotsman
08-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Yo atmo - It should be mail.juno.com for the smtp server name. In Outlook you can set your email preferences under Tools/Options/Mail Setup/E-Mail Accounts. I use Outlook at home and pull everything off my Bellsouth account. Webmail is fine, but with dsl you may as well pull your mail to your 'puter.

Avispa
08-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Hey Atmo,

Does Juno have a SMTP mailbox?

I ask, because it could be a web based mail only... Also, what mail client are you using? Apple Mail?

rwsaunders
08-13-2006, 05:47 PM
If you have an Apple store nearby, the folks at the "Genius Bar" will set you up at no cost.

Hysbrian
08-13-2006, 05:51 PM
you should use Thunderbird
http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
That way you can run the same program on both your mac and dell, keeps it simple.
Just e-mail me with questions, I just set it all up with fstrthnu the other day.

Hysbrian
08-13-2006, 05:54 PM
thunderbird assumes you just need email stuff, and not the other features of outlook.
The nice thing is that you can have all your e-mails from different accounts pool into one inbox. If youre into the type of thing.

atmo
08-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey Atmo,

1) Does Juno have a SMTP mailbox?

I ask, because it could be a web based mail only... Also, 2) what mail client are you using? Apple Mail?

1) i don't know. how do i find out?
i go to juno webmail online and all my emails are in the inbox,
as well as in 6-8 folders i created. i can also download all of
this to my dell hard drive because it has juno software, but if
i do that, it lives only there (unless i delete), and i cannot see
that mail if i am on the ibook because juno has no mac software.
so - i keep all email on the webserver that juno has, and all of
it only takes up about 4% of my allowed usage.

2) on the ibook, i use firefox as a browser and, again, surf to
juno webmail online.

Marburg
08-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Bear in mind SMTP is the method used for one computer to give mail to another computer. As such, most any servers can speak SMTP, and will try to do the right thing -- typically look at the "To:" field, deliver locally if the mail is for one of its users, or use SMTP to pass it on to the recipient's server. If you talk to an @juno server to receive mail, you don't necessarily need to use a @juno server to _send_ mail.

Of course, if a computer was just wide open for business (a so-called open relay) then your average spam scum could use it to mainline-inject mail onto the interweb. Insead, most servers have restrictions. For example, it will only accept mail for "@juno", or from certain computers, or you may need to give a username and password.

Long way to say ... look and see if SBC provided a SMTP server when they set you up (they do, try smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com). Depending on how Juno is doing mail they may or may not make an SMTP server available for their users.

See also here:

http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=287

Marburg
08-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Looks like juno does have SMTP.

Try smtp.juno.com

From here:

http://www.juno.com/support/email/auto-configure.html

Unfortunately, POP3 only on the receive side. Stinky, imho.

atmo
08-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Bear in mind SMTP is the method used for one computer to give mail to another computer. As such, most any servers can speak SMTP, and will try to do the right thing -- typically look at the "To:" field, deliver locally if the mail is for one of its users, or use SMTP to pass it on to the recipient's server. If you talk to an @juno server to receive mail, you don't necessarily need to use a @juno server to _send_ mail.

Of course, if a computer was just wide open for business (a so-called open relay) then your average spam scum could use it to mainline-inject mail onto the interweb. Insead, most servers have restrictions. For example, it will only accept mail for "@juno", or from certain computers, or you may need to give a username and password.

Long way to say ... look and see if SBC provided a SMTP server when they set you up (they do, try smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com). Depending on how Juno is doing mail they may or may not make an SMTP server available for their users.

See also here:

http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=287

thanks!!
that gave me a headache atmo.
you think i can use all this sbcglobal.net
info and then still get the @juno.com
email on my outlook and on my ibook?

Hysbrian
08-13-2006, 09:13 PM
well the sbc would be for sending and the juno would be for recieving
I think that juno has their own try smpt.juno.com

fstrthnu
08-13-2006, 09:23 PM
atmo. imho i vote hysbrian future ruler of the computer world yo. MAD skills.

fstrthnu

jeh
08-13-2006, 10:59 PM
thanks!!
that gave me a headache atmo.
you think i can use all this sbcglobal.net
info and then still get the @juno.com
email on my outlook and on my ibook?

You shouldn't need to use sbcglobal at all, you can use juno for both.

outgoing (SMTP): smtp.juno.com
incoming (pop3): pop.juno.com
emailaddress: youremailaddress@whatever.stuff
username: yourusername@juno.com
password: yourpassword

Keep in mind that checking your email with outlook, or your mac will probably remove the message from the server (unless you tell it not to, somehow.) making it hard to check your email with one computer and reply on another.

good luck!

-j

sfscott
08-14-2006, 01:07 AM
There is a checkbox to leave a copy of messages on the server in the tools/accounts box where mail accounts are configured.

You may have to look on the advanced tab.

Can't help you with the Mac.

atmo
08-14-2006, 07:54 AM
You shouldn't need to use sbcglobal at all, you can use juno for both.

outgoing (SMTP): smtp.juno.com
incoming (pop3): pop.juno.com
emailaddress: youremailaddress@whatever.stuff
username: yourusername@juno.com
password: yourpassword

Keep in mind that checking your email with outlook, or your mac will probably remove the message from the server (unless you tell it not to, somehow.) making it hard to check your email with one computer and reply on another.

good luck!

-j

thanks -
i tried this and will keep the fingers crossed atmo.