PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean up well used bike

moose8
03-28-2017, 03:37 PM
I've got a surly 1x1 rat ride anniversary bike that has suffered through many Boston winters as a commuter. I've replaced two bottom brackets, brake pads, tires and chains as needed but am thinking of rebuilding it with a marge lite wheelset. Before I do that I figured I should give it some TLC. Should I just take everything down the bottom bracket off and then framesaver it before reassembling with new brakes? Is there anything more complicated I'm missing? I didn't originally apply framesaver so I'm hoping it's not too rusted or anything.

CMiller
03-28-2017, 03:39 PM
Yes, I'd say it's worth a tear down, soapy bath, and framesave. It feels good to give a good frame new life too!

tumbler
03-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Should I just take everything down the bottom bracket off and then framesaver it before reassembling with new brakes?

That's what I would do. Especially if it's seen a few wet/salty winters and may or may not have been framesaver'd originally.

JAGI410
03-28-2017, 09:16 PM
Music + beer + free time = shiny Surly. Strip it down, clean everything, and then post pics!

m_sasso
03-28-2017, 09:59 PM
Once washed before re-assembly, I generally go over the paint with a clay bar and some thing like this http://meguiars.ca/product/m09-mirror-glaze-swirl-remover-2-0/ depending on the condition. Then finish off with some sort of a sealing wax.